Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC

First of all, I do apologise if there is already a Warriors thread on here. I did some quick searching and was not able to find anything. Regardless, I am making this thread as I have just gotten in to the Warrior Cats novels and do not know a single person who has read them. So I hope to document a little of my own journey through the almost 50+ novels of the series and hopefully find other people that are as fascinated by them as I am.

I would ask if any spoilers could be hidden with reducio and the spoiler clearly labelled with which novel the spoiler exists in.

Currently, I have finished the first four novels of the first story arc and am reading through book five: A dangerous path. Initially, I had struggled to take the IP seriously. The writing seemed fairly clunky with how it repetitively uses full names and the terminology used by the cats made me cringe. However, it really did not take long for me to get used to it. When you realise how seriously the characters take everything, then it is easy to fall in to the mindset of what it would be like to live as a clan cat. They should not be mistaken for children's stories. Perhaps the first novel leans more in that direction, however after Book 2 'A forest of secrets' it is just one depressing disaster after another. The cats do not have leisure time, or hobbies, or entertainment. Their entire lives consist of patrolling, hunting, fighting, training, sleeping. They live to serve the clan and pull innate happiness purely from the loyalty and pride of working for something greater than themselves.

In real life, cats, especially wild cats have complex hierarchical structures that we may never fully understand as humans. It is totally possible that cats in real life understand their world similar to what is portrayed in Warriors, which makes the books a more interesting read. Cats are natural herbalists. It is documented that they will seek out specific plants and even chew on poppy seeds as depicted in the books. I am loving the lore and culture of the clans. Some fantasy stories will go completely overboard on copious amounts of nouns and detailed history. Warriors is in a sweet spot where their culture is fairly simple to understand and the information is given out gradually. We learn it alongside the protagonist which makes it easier to digest.

I do have plenty of criticism of the series, but now four and half books in, it has managed to keep me hooked. With that said here are some thoughts about what's happened so far in my journey and what I would like to see:

Spoilers are up to and including Book 5: A dangerous path

Reducio
Fireheart's progression has felt fairly natural, if not a tad rushed. By the time he is made deputy he has been in Thunderclan for just under a year. A long time for a cat, but there are plenty of more experienced, longer serving Warriors to take the position. I understand that Bluestar's decision was made prematurely, while she was in shock, thinking she could only trust Fireheart. Though, it is never really explained why Whitestorm wasn't her first choice. Born in Thunderclan, known for being wise and trustworthy. I feel like the writers forget Whitestorm's existence when it suits them. After Bluestar tells Fireheart she wants to attack Wind clan in 'Dangerous Path' Fireheart doesn't even consider or think to consult Whitestorm on the matter. The whole plan Fireheart comes up with to stop the battle in that chapter is baffling. Although I've not read far enough to find out what happens, it does feel like the whole situation could have been avoided if Fireheart had just told certain characters what was happening.

I am a big fan of Tigerclaw, now Tigerstar. I wish his beliefs / motivations were a little more fleshed out. He seems to respect power and will do anything to acquire it himself. I'm glad that he has two kits in Thunderclan and I really hope they will lead to a situation where we get to see some positive aspects of the character. If he is shown to be a compassionate and loving father, it would add a great dimension to his character. I'm hoping the writers will stay away from making him just black and white evil.

Bluestar is a great character. I like how we got to see her at her height and how she spiralled into mental illness. The portrayal of mental illness is done very well and respectfully I find. It is interesting how the cats don't quite understand it and just know that she is sick. It would definitely kill the immersion if they started using words like dementia or PTSD. It puts Fireheart in a complex situation where he has to be loyal and pretend to the clan that Bluestar is fine, while also trying his best to run things in her absence. When she gives orders that you know the old Bluestar would never give, it hits you in the feels.

Some of my other favourite characters include Cloudpaw, Cinderpelt and Yellowfang. How Yellowfang is introduced and her relationship with Firepaw in the first book might be the best thing in that novel. I love how Cloudpaw is a rebellious atheist who thinks he's too cool for school.

My least favourite characters. Darkstripe is very one note and acts like a broken record at times. In book five, I made a game of predicting what he was going to say and got fairly accurate. Any combination of the words 'once a kittypet always a kittypet'. Graystripe, is a character that I liked, but after he met Silverstream he became a different person and lost most the qualities that I admired about him. Women. Am I right boys? (jk). To be honest there aren't many characters that I despise, just ones that I think are underwritten. Barley has too many references and mentions for the extremely little time he has in the story. Fireheart and others attribute qualities to him that have never been seen on page.

Anyway, I think that is enough for a first post. I may post again after I have read what happens at the end of Chapter 14.


This thread is for discussion. Discuss anything you want Warriors related or ask me questions :)

--------------
THEODORE VENDEBERG | Second Year
---------------
"I stand astonished at my own moderation."
Sta - 8 | Eva - 4 | Str - 3 | Wis - 10 | Arc - 10 | Acc - 8

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 14-18)
Reducio

Fireheart's plan to avoid a battle with Wind clan worked and the whole chapter was a little anti-climactic. The whole scenario has felt somewhat like filler, only existing to develop Bluestar's continued friction with Fireheart and her declining mental state. At the end of Chapter 15, she has adopted a nihilist attitude to her leadership. Whereas before Bluestar had been paranoid and desperate to protect Thunder clan, she now believes the clan itself is a basket of deplorables. At this point going forward, I'll be very surprised if the writers decide she is going to recover her mental state. I can only see this ending in tragedy.

Thunder clan may have avoided this battle, but a couple chapters later there is a skirmish with River clan over Sunning rocks. Graystipe partially redeemed himself in my eyes by choosing his friendship with Fireheart over River clan. Predictably, Bluestar is put in a situation where she has to fight her own kits Stonefur and Mistyfoot. Finally they are told the truth about their heritage and I approve of the way it is realistically depicted. It makes sense to me that they would not care or would even despise Bluestar. They have been raised by a loving mother in Riverclan and they see themselves as Riverclan cats. Blood relations are arbitrary at that point.

At the end of Chapter 17 Bluestar reaches a new low when she openly calls her entire clan traitors to the faces. The thing is, she isn't technically wrong.
1. Fireheart has gone behind her back multiple times at this point. Fraternizing with other clans, bringing Riverclan freshkill, talking to his sister without permission, going to the Windclan camp to speak with Tallstar behind her back etc.
2. Darkstripe has taken Tigerstar's kits from camp to go meet their father without Bluestar's knowledge and to make it even worse, Fireheart knows this happened and neglects to tell Bluestar.
3. Graystripe fathered kits with another clan and spent an entire novel going behind Bluestar's back to meet with his lover.
4. Whitestorm, Sandstorm (and most the other warriors) were given a heads up that Fireheart had arranged a meeting with WindClan to stop the battle. Not a single one decided to inform Bluestar.
5. Cloudpaw betrayed the clan by taking food from two-legs.

The most loyal cat to Bluestar as of Chapter 18 is Cinderpelt and I might be mistaken, but even she knew about Fireheart's gamble to stop the fight with Windclan and did not inform Bluestar. I'm not saying that Bluestar is justified in acting the way that she does, but you can certainly see her perspective. However, being apathetic and neglectful with her leadership will cause the kind of conditions where strong authorative leadership is needed.

--------------
THEODORE VENDEBERG | Second Year
---------------
"I stand astonished at my own moderation."
Sta - 8 | Eva - 4 | Str - 3 | Wis - 10 | Arc - 10 | Acc - 8

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Pretty sure it's 60-70+ books by now :lol: I have 56 and I barely have any of the super editions. I am fully out of my warrior cats phase but I did love it for almost two years.

For people new to the series: Don't try to figure out who the heck their editor is (if they even have one). Yes their grammar is terrible but the story is great :grin:

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
@Iliala Evergreen

After I finished Harry Potter, I literally didn't think there would be another series I could get into as much as that.

It's two British and Two American writers, but it has been fairly consistent so far. One of the issues I'm having is that it is difficult to keep track of characters without spoiling things for myself. They will mention a cat and I'll be like... who is that again? I'll look it up on google and the first result will say "This character, known as three different names, was deputy of this clan under three different leaders, had six named children, fought in six battles and died when other characters name killed them." And it's like... Okay.

Anyway, big things happening in Dangerous path.


Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 19-21)
Reducio
The big thing that happened in this chapter was Brightpaw and Switftpaw heading out into the forest alone to be mauled to death by dogs. If anyone is still under the opinion that these are books for children I would direct them to the description the book gives of the barely alive Brightpaw. It is fairly shocking.

I didn't have much time to read tonight, so I don't actually know if Brightpaw survives or not. The chapter ends with him being taken back to camp. Swiftpaw is dead though, which is so horrible. He only wanted to be a warrior and Bluestar's paranoia and apathy pushed him to desperation. Longtail will surely have a seething hatred for Fireheart going forward, but his anger should be directed at Bluestar. In my mind, she is responsible for what happened.

Couple of other things.

Fireheart and Sandstorm argue with each other all the time and they are not even in a relationship yet, which I believe is where they are taking it. Just seems like a bad match to me that will cause unnecessary relationship melodrama down the line. Fireheart is not on her wavelength and often unintentionally offends her with one thing or another.

Another instance in this Chapter where I was crying out for Fireheart to not leave some things unspoken. Perhaps I don't understand the motivations for keeping certain information to himself. But- why does he not explain to Longtail why Bluestar does not want to make Swiftpaw a warrior? Feels like he wants Longtail to hate him. Just say "I would make your apprentice a warrior if I had the power, but I don't. You should bring it up with Bluestar. She is the one who has denied it." - I'm just not sure why Fireheart is taking the flack for this.

--------------
THEODORE VENDEBERG | Second Year
---------------
"I stand astonished at my own moderation."
Sta - 8 | Eva - 4 | Str - 3 | Wis - 10 | Arc - 10 | Acc - 8

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 21-25)

Reducio
The first half of these chapters are dominated by the question of what will happen to Tigerstar's children and I see both sides of the argument. If I were Bramblepaw and Tawnypaw I would 100% want to join my father's clan. Because let's be honest, Thunderclan is an absolute mess by this point in the story. Mainly due to Bluestar's bad decision making which seems to reach it's zenith around here. She chooses to fight to keep the two apprentices, but not for honour, the clan or the code. She does it for selfish reasons because she feels guilty about giving up her own kits.

I imagine long after Bluestar is dead, the clans will view her with reverence and I'll have to sit through pages and pages of references to her greatness through the generations. I'm telling you now, she will have to pull a spectacular redemption arc out of the bag for me to see her like that. Brightpaw is brought back to camp barely alive, her snout mutilated and missing an eye. The cats are sad that she may die having never been a warrior, so Bluestar decides to give her the warrior name of 'Lostface'. She does this just to spite Starclan and does not care one bit about Brightpaw. This act is so cruel that I straight up think Bluestar is now a villain. Bluestar has condemned this young cat to be reminded by everyone everyday of their facial disfiguration, which is horrible. Big points to Cloudtail, the only cat in the entire clan that is immediately not cool with using the name. Actually f*** you, Bluestar.

We are now coming to the climax of this novel. We get some good development for Longtail, who in my previous post I thought would blame Fireheart for Swiftpaw's death. Looks like this is not the case because Longtail reports to Fireheart that he saw Tigerstar feeding dogs in the forest. He also confesses that he knows Darkstripe is giving information to Tigerstar and meeting with him regularly. I am very happy that Longtail is still loyal to the clan and I will be very mad if the writers do a 180 on him by the end of the novel.

Fireheart gets some good character development here as he has experienced that much betrayal and lies that he starts acting like Bluestar and becomes inconsolably untrusting. Luckily Cinderpelt brings him back from the brink.

At the end of the Chapter, the gang discover Tigerstar has been laying out a trail of rabbits for the dogs to follow to the Thunderclan camp. They find Brindleface's body, who wasn't a character that I cared about too much, but her death is clearly going to impact Cloudtail as she was his defacto mother. Cloudtail has been put through a lot in this book and I am starting to really like him. His love interest is permanently disfigured and yet it does not dissuade him from showing his affection one bit, which is true character.

Just a couple of chapters left.

--------------
THEODORE VENDEBERG | Second Year
---------------
"I stand astonished at my own moderation."
Sta - 8 | Eva - 4 | Str - 3 | Wis - 10 | Arc - 10 | Acc - 8

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Theo Vendeberg wrote: 26 Mar 2025, 23:24 Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 21-25)

Reducio
The first half of these chapters are dominated by the question of what will happen to Tigerstar's children and I see both sides of the argument. If I were Bramblepaw and Tawnypaw I would 100% want to join my father's clan. Because let's be honest, Thunderclan is an absolute mess by this point in the story. Mainly due to Bluestar's bad decision making which seems to reach it's zenith around here. She chooses to fight to keep the two apprentices, but not for honour, the clan or the code. She does it for selfish reasons because she feels guilty about giving up her own kits.

I imagine long after Bluestar is dead, the clans will view her with reverence and I'll have to sit through pages and pages of references to her greatness through the generations. I'm telling you now, she will have to pull a spectacular redemption arc out of the bag for me to see her like that. Brightpaw is brought back to camp barely alive, her snout mutilated and missing an eye. The cats are sad that she may die having never been a warrior, so Bluestar decides to give her the warrior name of 'Lostface'. She does this just to spite Starclan and does not care one bit about Brightpaw. This act is so cruel that I straight up think Bluestar is now a villain. Bluestar has condemned this young cat to be reminded by everyone everyday of their facial disfiguration, which is horrible. Big points to Cloudtail, the only cat in the entire clan that is immediately not cool with using the name. Actually f*** you, Bluestar.

We are now coming to the climax of this novel. We get some good development for Longtail, who in my previous post I thought would blame Fireheart for Swiftpaw's death. Looks like this is not the case because Longtail reports to Fireheart that he saw Tigerstar feeding dogs in the forest. He also confesses that he knows Darkstripe is giving information to Tigerstar and meeting with him regularly. I am very happy that Longtail is still loyal to the clan and I will be very mad if the writers do a 180 on him by the end of the novel.

Fireheart gets some good character development here as he has experienced that much betrayal and lies that he starts acting like Bluestar and becomes inconsolably untrusting. Luckily Cinderpelt brings him back from the brink.

At the end of the Chapter, the gang discover Tigerstar has been laying out a trail of rabbits for the dogs to follow to the Thunderclan camp. They find Brindleface's body, who wasn't a character that I cared about too much, but her death is clearly going to impact Cloudtail as she was his defacto mother. Cloudtail has been put through a lot in this book and I am starting to really like him. His love interest is permanently disfigured and yet it does not dissuade him from showing his affection one bit, which is true character.

Just a couple of chapters left.
As someone who read the first arc a long while ago, I cannot wait for your reactions and thoughts at the end. Your commentary has been an enjoyable read and brought to light many perspectives I never considered. Once you have finished I would love to pick your brain about a few of the characters and about the ending of that arc.

Happy reading! <3

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
I also love the Warrior Cats' multiple series! :lol: I hope you enjoy the rest of them <3

Every flower is a soul blossoming in nature. 𝄞 Shop ˙⋆✮⋆˚࿔ iNPC: Akari Kabukimono

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
@Alyss Gilmour

That is so lovely to hear someone say this. Thank you!

There is one thing confusing me a little and perhaps you might be able to help. What is the reading order exactly? I see there are the main series and then also Super editions.

I finished 'The Prophecies Begin' book five today and quickly moved on to book six. I'm just not sure what to read after that.


Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 25-27)
Reducio
Book 5 finished!

I will start off with some negatives about the climax of this book. The dogs did not have the presence or impact that the entire book has been setting them up for. They seemed like a sideshow to the actual conflict between Fireheart and Tigerstar. The leader of the dogs was setup to be very menacing, but then had absolutely no character during the confrontation. I don't think Tigerstar's plan made much sense either. He pinned Fireheart to the ground so the dogs would catch up and kill him, but wouldn't he also be in mortal danger? I suppose he could have been so infuriated by Fireheart foiling his plan that he saw nothing but red and wanted Fireheart dead even at the cost of his own life, but it did not come across that way.

Last criticism is that Bluestar drowns(?) and then climbs up on the shore to speak her final words before she dies. I'm not sure that's how drowning works. It is only a minor gripe though because giving her chance to say farewell to her children was extremely satisfying. I did feel sad for Bluestar in the end, despite me calling her evil in the previous post. Tigerstar does not really say much during this chapter and does not react to Bluestar's death. I would have been interesting if he had shed a tear or shown some emotion. I understand that he wanted her dead, but he must have known her all his life and was loyal for many years. I wouldn't have been surprised if the shock of Bluestar's death brought him some conflicting feelings.

I enjoyed the ending of this one. There were a few shocking deaths one after another that really got me fearing for my favourite characters. I can't believe they introduced a deaf kit and then had them carried off by a hawk and eaten. The world they live in is absolutely brutal. Bluestar's death I had predicted in one of my first posts. I honestly thought she was going to make it to the final book though. Her 'redemption' was too little too late in my eyes. I'm really never going to get over her cruelty to Lostface.


List of cats current allegiance and status:
(This list is a WIP. Adding them as I come across them.)
Reducio

Thunderclan

Fireheart (Leader)
Cinderpelt (Medicine)
Sandstorm (Warrior)
Darkstripe (Warrior)
Brackenfur (Warrior)
Longtail (Warrior)
Whitestorm (Warrior)
Graystripe (Warrior)
Bramblepaw (Apprentice)
Ravenpaw (Loner)
Speckletail (Queen?)
Frostfur (Elder)
Willowpelt (Elder)

Bluestar (Deceased) (Leader) - Drowned.
Swiftpaw (Deceased) (Apprentice) - Mauled by dogs.
Snowkit (Deceased) (Kit) - Carried off by a hawk.
Yellowfang (Deceased) (Medicine) - Died in a fire.
Spottedleaf (Deceased) (Medicine) - Murdered by Shadowclan.
Redtail (Deceased) (Deputy) - Murdered by Tigerclaw.

Riverclan

Crookedstar (Deceased) (Leader) - Died of greencough.
Silverstream (Deceased) (Warrior) - Died during childbirth.

Shadowclan

Tigerstar (Leader)
Runningnose (Medicine)
Ashfur (Elder)

--------------
THEODORE VENDEBERG | Second Year
---------------
"I stand astonished at my own moderation."
Sta - 8 | Eva - 4 | Str - 3 | Wis - 10 | Arc - 10 | Acc - 8

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Reducio
Theo Vendeberg wrote: 28 Mar 2025, 00:37 @Alyss Gilmour

That is so lovely to hear someone say this. Thank you!

There is one thing confusing me a little and perhaps you might be able to help. What is the reading order exactly? I see there are the main series and then also Super editions.

I finished 'The Prophecies Begin' book five today and quickly moved on to book six. I'm just not sure what to read after that.


Spoilers for Book 5: A dangerous path (Chapters 25-27)
Reducio
Book 5 finished!

I will start off with some negatives about the climax of this book. The dogs did not have the presence or impact that the entire book has been setting them up for. They seemed like a sideshow to the actual conflict between Fireheart and Tigerstar. The leader of the dogs was setup to be very menacing, but then had absolutely no character during the confrontation. I don't think Tigerstar's plan made much sense either. He pinned Fireheart to the ground so the dogs would catch up and kill him, but wouldn't he also be in mortal danger? I suppose he could have been so infuriated by Fireheart foiling his plan that he saw nothing but red and wanted Fireheart dead even at the cost of his own life, but it did not come across that way.

Last criticism is that Bluestar drowns(?) and then climbs up on the shore to speak her final words before she dies. I'm not sure that's how drowning works. It is only a minor gripe though because giving her chance to say farewell to her children was extremely satisfying. I did feel sad for Bluestar in the end, despite me calling her evil in the previous post. Tigerstar does not really say much during this chapter and does not react to Bluestar's death. I would have been interesting if he had shed a tear or shown some emotion. I understand that he wanted her dead, but he must have known her all his life and was loyal for many years. I wouldn't have been surprised if the shock of Bluestar's death brought him some conflicting feelings.

I enjoyed the ending of this one. There were a few shocking deaths one after another that really got me fearing for my favourite characters. I can't believe they introduced a deaf kit and then had them carried off by a hawk and eaten. The world they live in is absolutely brutal. Bluestar's death I had predicted in one of my first posts. I honestly thought she was going to make it to the final book though. Her 'redemption' was too little too late in my eyes. I'm really never going to get over her cruelty to Lostface.


List of cats current allegiance and status:
(This list is a WIP. Adding them as I come across them.)
Reducio

Thunderclan

Fireheart (Leader)
Cinderpelt (Medicine)
Sandstorm (Warrior)
Darkstripe (Warrior)
Brackenfur (Warrior)
Longtail (Warrior)
Whitestorm (Warrior)
Graystripe (Warrior)
Bramblepaw (Apprentice)
Ravenpaw (Loner)
Speckletail (Queen?)
Frostfur (Elder)
Willowpelt (Elder)

Bluestar (Deceased) (Leader) - Drowned.
Swiftpaw (Deceased) (Apprentice) - Mauled by dogs.
Snowkit (Deceased) (Kit) - Carried off by a hawk.
Yellowfang (Deceased) (Medicine) - Died in a fire.
Spottedleaf (Deceased) (Medicine) - Murdered by Shadowclan.
Redtail (Deceased) (Deputy) - Murdered by Tigerclaw.

Riverclan

Crookedstar (Deceased) (Leader) - Died of greencough.
Silverstream (Deceased) (Warrior) - Died during childbirth.

Shadowclan

Tigerstar (Leader)
Runningnose (Medicine)
Ashfur (Elder)

Happy to help! The order can be slightly confusing, so I’ve left my recommended list for the time being below. I included a few graphic novels, but if those arent your thing, you don’t need to read them. I personally don’t like breaking up the arcs, so I generally recommend reading the series and then Novella and Special Editions. This is only until a little after the second arc, I would be happy to continue this list later on! Spoilers as some of the book titles give away name changes:
Reducio
  • Books 1-6 of The Prophecies Begin
  • Books 1-3 of Tigerstar and Sasha(Graphic novel)
  • The Rise of Scourge(Graphic novel)
  • Bluestar’s Prophecy(Special Edition)
  • Firestar’s Quest(Special Edition)
  • Yellowfang’s Secret(Special Edition)
  • Books 1-6 of The New Prophecy
  • Tallstar’s Revenge(Special Edition)
  • Crookedstar’s Promise(Special Edition)
  • Leopardstar’s Honor(Special Edition)
  • To be continued!

Warriors (Warrior Cats) OOC
Eeek I love these books. They are one of my favorite series. So far I’ve read the first six arcs and they’re pretty amazing! Glad there are other people reading them ^^

brookline quinn | peter smith
is it female rage or am i just my father’s daughter?