OOC Let's Chat!

Aly Salinger wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 18:05 Hello let's chat! How are we on this fine afternoon?
Sleepy
I am now watching a video (again) on the 3D science, and this one is in particular about a teacher who is teaching the students about the evidence of rain and how to deal with it. This is what I've been writing so far in the FIVE MINUTES of this nearly 10 minute video. ;-;
Reducio
Describe how Melina encourages her students to think about evidence in relation to weather events like rain or snow. How does Melina’s approach tot itching science differ from traditional methods, and why is this important? What are some key strategies Melina uses to engage her students in three-dimensional learning?


What are the disciplinary core ideas and cross-cutting concepts emphasized in the three-dimensional science standards, and how do they assist students in understanding the unfamiliar phenomena? In what ways do the students demonstrate their understanding of cause and effect and patterns when discussing changes in the environment? How does this relate to their learning in Earth science?


The video starts off with them drawing a map, looking at images with drains and grass/dirt.
The focus for this whole video is on the unit in regards to understanding how water interacts with the land and then how the land in turn interacts with the water. This is a three week unit.

They start off with the basics of understanding and of making explanations with evidence. Then with models, they try to figure out if there is a way to show what they understand. With 3D science, it gets more sophisticated over time. With the grades she works with; second and third grade, she introduces them to the concepts. It starts off with what’s more like them discovering and thinking through things and then gradually starting to get more information that can be used to refine their model and thinking as well as to develop more complex language for the scientific language. In the end, the goal is for them to figure out a way to stop the water from changing the land, so for this unit they’re going to have an engineering solution where they’re presented with a problem like a puddle under the swing and have to use the knowledge that they gained to solve the problem. The end should be more like an assessment, in which you evaluate to see what the students actually learned in the unit.

The next part of the video has the children writing on long notecards different sentences with the concept of evidence behind it. So, for example, one student writes ‘wet footprints’, later on in the video, they all sit in a circle and talk about how they know it rained- in which wet footprints is applicable. The same could be said for the snow example that was used. They talk about what the students already know, such as.. If it rained, the evidence could be the mud. When or after it rained, when people stepped in the mud, it created a footprint. “We found a puddle! We found a puddle and it was over there and it was wet!” (3:05-3:10)

With NGSS, it highlights the kind of place based science as something that makes sense rather than forcing the students to learn from the textbook because it is more difficult to understand what it is they are learning because words go in one ear and out the other, but when they can interact with the environment, actually see things for themselves, they actually learn and comprehend a bit more on the subject than those who are subjected solely to the traditional methods of learning. (3:10-3:40)

She also had the kids go home and ask their parents where they found evidence of rain, and the whole point of it was to allow them to ask these questions in their home language but to start the conversation at home and to make that the idea that they had at home continues at school or in their daily life as well, making it important in the classroom.

As the lessons ended up progressing, so did their vocabulary, academic language, science and knowledge. They also built this knowledge and skill collaboratively. They engaged in using scientific practices of gathering and using evidence to write claims, arguing from evidence, conducting an investigation and modeling how rain changes some services and not the others. Those practices, one dimension of the 3D model, combined with the cross cutting concepts of patterns and cause and effect, core science ideas of erosion, interactions between water and land, and rapid and slow changes that result from the interactions which makes up another dimension- the cross-cutting concepts.

There is chalk on the pavement and one boy is holding a clear tupperware or box half filled with water. The teacher asks what happens if he dumps the water. It turns over. It would also wash away the chalk too, but that wasn’t said in the video.


I'll answer the questions when the video is done but there's a reason I'm writing it out.

In loving memory of the greatest and kindest woman. I adore you, and I will miss you, Dolly. My heart breaks for you, for your family, and for the world. You can be with Carl now, as an upside. And I Will Always Love You.

OOC Let's Chat!
Avery Gray wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 18:05
Rosalyn Willows wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 17:41 I’m hungry but don’t know what to eat…
Mac n cheese? That’s what I’m having in a bit. :lol:
Okh, that sounds so yummy! I’m having some leftover 🍕 and 🍓s!!!

~Rosalyn Willows, Second Year Slytherin~
~Ency~Garden~Profile~
|Sta~6|Eva~4|Str~7|Wis~7|Arc~6|Acc~5|

OOC Let's Chat!
Avery Gray wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 16:25 Well,I talked to my mom yesterday (she’s a nurse) and I found out I have tendinitis. =_= it’s nothing contagious, but my wrist has been hurting for about a week and I thought I had just bruised it. Sorry to everyone I owe replies to. Replies will definitely be slower until I can find a better brace. :)
Aww no! I hope it heals quickly ♥️ ❤️ 💛

Y/N: Do you think I'm stupid?
Axel:..... Yes. pc:Emiline Hunter

OOC Let's Chat!
I need to stop being so easily distracted I have one last assignment for the science class. :( for the week (technically its due the end of next week with me doing all of the work this week for next week)

In loving memory of the greatest and kindest woman. I adore you, and I will miss you, Dolly. My heart breaks for you, for your family, and for the world. You can be with Carl now, as an upside. And I Will Always Love You.

OOC Let's Chat!
Remy Break wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:06 I need to stop being so easily distracted I have one last assignment for the science class. :(
STOP BEING DISTRACTED!!! You’re so so close, lock in!!!!!

~Rosalyn Willows, Second Year Slytherin~
~Ency~Garden~Profile~
|Sta~6|Eva~4|Str~7|Wis~7|Arc~6|Acc~5|

OOC Let's Chat!
Rosalyn Willows wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:06
Remy Break wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:06 I need to stop being so easily distracted I have one last assignment for the science class. :(
STOP BEING DISTRACTED!!! You’re so so close, lock in!!!!!
thank youuuu

--
(actually I will have one more once I post this inital response, depenidng on if anyone has done the replies yet. My hope is yes because if I have to do thsi 250 word per discussion post requirement for all my classes I'm gonna be very tired of words.)

In loving memory of the greatest and kindest woman. I adore you, and I will miss you, Dolly. My heart breaks for you, for your family, and for the world. You can be with Carl now, as an upside. And I Will Always Love You.

OOC Let's Chat!
Ima die right now I just failed my math class

𝓗𝓪𝔃𝓮𝓵 𝓝𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽: 𝓟𝓸𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓸 𝓟𝓮𝓮𝓵
𝓞𝓻𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽:
𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕤: 𝕊𝕥𝕒 𝟟| 𝔼𝕧𝕒 𝟞| 𝕊𝕥𝕣 𝟝| 𝕎𝕚𝕤 𝟠| 𝔸ℙ 𝟟| 𝔸𝕔𝕔 𝟟|
𝓑𝓮𝓷𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓱 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓸𝓸𝓷𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮
𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓮 𝓖𝓻𝓮𝔂
𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽: 𝓲𝓝𝓟𝓒 𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼

OOC Let's Chat!
Bree Grey wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:11 Ima die right now I just failed my math class
The whole class or the final?

OOC Let's Chat!
Remy Break wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:09
Rosalyn Willows wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:06
Remy Break wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:06 I need to stop being so easily distracted I have one last assignment for the science class. :(
STOP BEING DISTRACTED!!! You’re so so close, lock in!!!!!
thank youuuu

--
(actually I will have one more once I post this inital response, depenidng on if anyone has done the replies yet. My hope is yes because if I have to do thsi 250 word per discussion post requirement for all my classes I'm gonna be very tired of words.)
Oof, that’s a lot to do! But I hope so for you too, good luck!!!

~Rosalyn Willows, Second Year Slytherin~
~Ency~Garden~Profile~
|Sta~6|Eva~4|Str~7|Wis~7|Arc~6|Acc~5|

OOC Let's Chat!
Mikey Forville wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:12
Bree Grey wrote: 2 Jun 2026, 19:11 Ima die right now I just failed my math class
The whole class or the final?
The whole class apparently. Had a A in it but then during the final I got a 50 cause the timer ran out and my teacher just said you fail the final you fail the class

𝓗𝓪𝔃𝓮𝓵 𝓝𝓮𝓵𝓼𝓸𝓷
𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽: 𝓟𝓸𝓽𝓪𝓽𝓸 𝓟𝓮𝓮𝓵
𝓞𝓻𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽:
𝕊𝕥𝕒𝕥𝕤: 𝕊𝕥𝕒 𝟟| 𝔼𝕧𝕒 𝟞| 𝕊𝕥𝕣 𝟝| 𝕎𝕚𝕤 𝟠| 𝔸ℙ 𝟟| 𝔸𝕔𝕔 𝟟|
𝓑𝓮𝓷𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓱 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓸𝓸𝓷𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓮
𝓑𝓻𝓮𝓮 𝓖𝓻𝓮𝔂
𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼 𝓝𝓮𝓮𝓭𝓮𝓭 𝓪𝓽: 𝓲𝓝𝓟𝓒 𝓓𝓸𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓲𝓸𝓷𝓼