27 May 2019, 01:53
Asked or Answered
@Artemis Vernatis
Charms certainly wasn't boring with the new Professor. Koko actually found it to be more interesting, scouting for Professor Vernatis' strengths and weaknesses during class. She still couldn't spot much, though, which surprised the young Slytherin. She could usually read people quite easily.
But when class was dismissed, Koko decided she would stay in the classroom for a visit. Koko remained where she had sat during class, watching the other students rush out in a hurry. Koko never rushed from class to class. She didn't see the point in it. They were all going to get there one way or another, so why waste the energy?
The last few students cleared out, and still Koko rested her chin on her palm, supported by her elbow which was on the table. She would wait just a little longer before standing up and stretching her arms a bit. The last class had been particularly intriguing, and Koko wanted a little time to take it all in. Still, it was only a short amount of time before the twelve-year-old grew bored of staying seated.
She brushed a stray strand of hair out of her golden eyes. Caramel coloured her strands that were wrapped around her fingers. It hurt, accidentally pulling her own hair, but she would make do. Koko soon got the small strands free from her hand, and to be honest, her facial expression hadn't changed much. Only an air of curiosity surrounded her, and curiosity was what she was going to use.
But not just yet.
She would wait to express her questions, wait to learn more about a subject that interested her. She could only hope to be polite, because politeness could be everything during a first encounter. Koko painted a smile across her pale face as she strode up to the Professor's desk, and then words spilled out of her lips.
"Professor? I have a few questions to ask you," she said, her hands folded neatly in front of her. If one looked straight at her, they would see a girl who looked confident and sure of herself, as well as somewhat happy. If one knew how to look deep inside, they would find a paranoid nervous wreck of a person. Koko had found the trick to hide it - fake confidence, and she was going to use it.
Koko unclasped her hands and let them drift to her sides. Hopefully Professor Vernatis would be able to answer her question. If not, she would have nowhere else to ask.
[pc] koko riddle · 'pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.'
'it always starts and ends with birds.' · cyrus darsel [inpc]
27 May 2019, 14:38
Asked or Answered
Artemis wasn't expecting any of his first years to stick around. They usually scampered off to their next lessons or to their freedom of the outside air or common rooms. So it surprised Artemis when a young Slytherin girl told him that she had a few questions to ask him. Truthfully, it didn't sound like this would bode well for the thirty-four year old teacher, but it was his job to listen to each and every student that came to him for help.
Shuffling the homework he had collected from the class into a pile to be sorted and checked later, Artemis gave the girl his undivided attention.
"Miss Riddle, is there something I can help you with?" he asked, crossing his arms on the desk and putting his weight onto them. He looked into the girl's smiling face and could see she looked genuine about asking him a question.
But Artemis Vernatis wasn't an idiot.
He had dealt with kids since he was a kid himself still. He was a Prefect when he was at Hogwarts and often times he had to help the younger years get their lives and issues together when the teachers were too busy to help them. Then he was a teacher for ten years in America and he knew from that experience that kids hid alot of baggage behind their smiles.
There had to be something hidden behind the smile of Koko Riddle. He hoped that he could help the girl out in whatever way he could.
Shuffling the homework he had collected from the class into a pile to be sorted and checked later, Artemis gave the girl his undivided attention.
"Miss Riddle, is there something I can help you with?" he asked, crossing his arms on the desk and putting his weight onto them. He looked into the girl's smiling face and could see she looked genuine about asking him a question.
But Artemis Vernatis wasn't an idiot.
He had dealt with kids since he was a kid himself still. He was a Prefect when he was at Hogwarts and often times he had to help the younger years get their lives and issues together when the teachers were too busy to help them. Then he was a teacher for ten years in America and he knew from that experience that kids hid alot of baggage behind their smiles.
There had to be something hidden behind the smile of Koko Riddle. He hoped that he could help the girl out in whatever way he could.
Artemis Vernatis
Professor of Charms
28 May 2019, 13:48
Asked or Answered
"Actually, Professor, there is!" Koko said cheerfully. Finally, she could voice her curiosities, and perhaps a few fears about what might happen if her ideas went wrong - and this time, there would be a person who could answer her.
Koko had a few papers where she had jotted down notes and questions. It wasn't much, but it was something that she could go off of. "How might one create a spell? I've heard of this before, and I'm particularly interested in this field of magic." She wasn't about to beat around the bush. No, it was better to hit it head on.
She wasn't going to try and create something as large as an immortality spell. That would be unreasonable. First, she would try and aim for something much smaller. Something almost miniscule, but something that could make life easier. She wanted to be bigger, better, and more ready than any of the other students she knew - even the second years. Learning more about magic, perhaps even being able to perform a spell of her own, that was what might make her have an advantage.
The professor was watching her. She had noticed it as she ad spoken before, but she hadn't done anything about it. She still wouldn't. She would just ask her questions, gain some knowledge, and perhaps feel like a Ravenclaw for a day, even though it was wonderful to be a Slytherin. She had wondered for the majority of the year why the hat had chosen that particular house, but the Sorting Hat was usually, if not always, correct.
The twelve-year-old was almost bouncing on her toes with somewhat noticeable excitement. She was extremely ecstatic to finally learn more, but at the same time she didn't want to disturb the professor's work. He had only been grading homework, right? That could probably wait. Hopefully. "In addition to my other question, how does a wand movement affect the way the spell is made or casted?"
[pc] koko riddle · 'pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.'
'it always starts and ends with birds.' · cyrus darsel [inpc]
30 May 2019, 08:11
Asked or Answered
Artemis blinked at the girl in front of him. He blinked twice as he tried to comprehend what exactly the child had asked him. She couldn't be serious, could she? This was one of those "Let's prank the new teacher" things wasn't it? Artemis blinked once again and saw that the girl began to bounce and buzz with excitement and the man internally groaned as he sat back in his chair, a smile outwardly on his lips.
'Apparently she is serious. She's asking all of the real and deep questions here.' he thought as he wondered where the child could have come up with such questions. 'Will I get in trouble for passing on this information? I'm probably going to get into trouble...why couldn't she ask Jensen? She's her head of house!
These thoughts ran through Artemis' head and he frantically thought of a way to get out of parting with such volatile information. Spell creation was no laughing matter nor was it something someone could just casually do for the hell of it. Clearing his throat, Artemis crossed his arms as he looked away from the excited eyes of this Slytherin student. "Miss Riddle, spell creation... that's not exactly an art someone should know off the top of their heads nor should it be common knowledge for an eleven-year-old. I don't believe I should..."
The Charms Professor stopped as he looked up at the girl. Big mistake. The bright and excited gaze of the young girl peered into his green ones and Artemis knew he was giving in. A bit.
With a sigh, Artemis reached into a drawer in his desk and pulled out a handful of lollipops. Holding it out to the girl, he waited for her to take her prefered flavor before he took the strawberry one for himself and removed the wrapper. Yes, it was known to most of the students that the Charms Professor enjoyed snacking and every weekend he would return with either something homemade from his wife and son or he would buy something for him to eat while watching his students practice spells he had taught them. If he was going to give Miss Riddle an extra lesson, he might as well have some kind of enjoyment from it.
"Miss Riddle, spell creation is not an art that one just suddenly wants to explore. There has to be a reason that you're asking me, and me specifically, for this information. Against my better judgement I will start you off on some of the information you seek, but I cannot promise that I can give you everything nor can I promise that I will tell you everything you wish to hear. With that being said, when I answer your first question, I want you to answer one of my own, then I will answer your second question. A bit of give and take. My question is this:Why exactly do you want to know so much about spell creation and what do you plan to do with this knowledge?
And now, to answer your first question. Spell creation is not so much a field of magic but a magical art form and it is extremely dangerous. You must have a great understanding of magic in order to invent and create a spell. Unfortunately, that is something you do not have enough of, as you are still quite young, however, I am sure you will gain that understanding as you grow as a young woman and a witch.
The precise process of inventing a spell is not exactly known, mainly because most of those that do know the precise process or have an idea of it are long dead and buried. However, you do need to craft the wand movements and have a comprehensive incantation to go along with your created spell. Preferably an incantation and wand movement that makes sense. For example, if one were to make a water spell, they wouldn't want to have an etymology or words that mean "stone" or "heavy" as it would be the opposite of water and wouldn't make sense. Your incantation should make sense."
Artemis paused to place his candy in his mouth, thinking about what information he had just parted with. He knew that he probably shouldn't have given her this information, especially one so young, but he also wasn't one to hinder or stop a student from learning extra if they wanted to. He was still curious about what she wanted the information for though.
"A word of caution, Miss Riddle," the man said around the lollipop in his mouth, "Should something go wrong with the spell that is being created, the results of said failure can, and most likely will, be fatal. Think on that while you're thinking of a way to answer my questions, because I just thought of another one. This will lead us to the next answer you desire."
Standing, Artemis moved over to an empty area of the classroom and withdrew his wand. Pointing it at a leftover textbook, he flicked his wand in the correct movements and said, "Wingardium Leviosa." He didn't actually have to say the words, but he wanted to demonstrate the spell and the wand movement to his student. With the book hovering nearby and his wand still pointed in its direction, he turned back to Koko and said, "In your second Charms lesson you learned about wands briefly. What did I say a wand was to a witch or wizard? If you can answer this, you've answered a part of your own question."
'Apparently she is serious. She's asking all of the real and deep questions here.' he thought as he wondered where the child could have come up with such questions. 'Will I get in trouble for passing on this information? I'm probably going to get into trouble...why couldn't she ask Jensen? She's her head of house!
These thoughts ran through Artemis' head and he frantically thought of a way to get out of parting with such volatile information. Spell creation was no laughing matter nor was it something someone could just casually do for the hell of it. Clearing his throat, Artemis crossed his arms as he looked away from the excited eyes of this Slytherin student. "Miss Riddle, spell creation... that's not exactly an art someone should know off the top of their heads nor should it be common knowledge for an eleven-year-old. I don't believe I should..."
The Charms Professor stopped as he looked up at the girl. Big mistake. The bright and excited gaze of the young girl peered into his green ones and Artemis knew he was giving in. A bit.
With a sigh, Artemis reached into a drawer in his desk and pulled out a handful of lollipops. Holding it out to the girl, he waited for her to take her prefered flavor before he took the strawberry one for himself and removed the wrapper. Yes, it was known to most of the students that the Charms Professor enjoyed snacking and every weekend he would return with either something homemade from his wife and son or he would buy something for him to eat while watching his students practice spells he had taught them. If he was going to give Miss Riddle an extra lesson, he might as well have some kind of enjoyment from it.
"Miss Riddle, spell creation is not an art that one just suddenly wants to explore. There has to be a reason that you're asking me, and me specifically, for this information. Against my better judgement I will start you off on some of the information you seek, but I cannot promise that I can give you everything nor can I promise that I will tell you everything you wish to hear. With that being said, when I answer your first question, I want you to answer one of my own, then I will answer your second question. A bit of give and take. My question is this:Why exactly do you want to know so much about spell creation and what do you plan to do with this knowledge?
And now, to answer your first question. Spell creation is not so much a field of magic but a magical art form and it is extremely dangerous. You must have a great understanding of magic in order to invent and create a spell. Unfortunately, that is something you do not have enough of, as you are still quite young, however, I am sure you will gain that understanding as you grow as a young woman and a witch.
The precise process of inventing a spell is not exactly known, mainly because most of those that do know the precise process or have an idea of it are long dead and buried. However, you do need to craft the wand movements and have a comprehensive incantation to go along with your created spell. Preferably an incantation and wand movement that makes sense. For example, if one were to make a water spell, they wouldn't want to have an etymology or words that mean "stone" or "heavy" as it would be the opposite of water and wouldn't make sense. Your incantation should make sense."
Artemis paused to place his candy in his mouth, thinking about what information he had just parted with. He knew that he probably shouldn't have given her this information, especially one so young, but he also wasn't one to hinder or stop a student from learning extra if they wanted to. He was still curious about what she wanted the information for though.
"A word of caution, Miss Riddle," the man said around the lollipop in his mouth, "Should something go wrong with the spell that is being created, the results of said failure can, and most likely will, be fatal. Think on that while you're thinking of a way to answer my questions, because I just thought of another one. This will lead us to the next answer you desire."
Standing, Artemis moved over to an empty area of the classroom and withdrew his wand. Pointing it at a leftover textbook, he flicked his wand in the correct movements and said, "Wingardium Leviosa." He didn't actually have to say the words, but he wanted to demonstrate the spell and the wand movement to his student. With the book hovering nearby and his wand still pointed in its direction, he turned back to Koko and said, "In your second Charms lesson you learned about wands briefly. What did I say a wand was to a witch or wizard? If you can answer this, you've answered a part of your own question."
Reducio
OOC: I apologize for the wait on this reply. I had to do some research to answer your question.
Artemis Vernatis
Professor of Charms
1 Jun 2019, 03:50
Asked or Answered
"Miss Riddle, spell creation... that's not exactly an art someone should know off the top of their heads nor should it be common knowledge for an eleven-year-old. I don't believe I should..."
Was that what would happen? Would she be dismissed because of her age? No. She would not allow it. "For one thing, Professor, I happen to be twelve years old." She spoke with a colder tone this time. She wanted to learn. She wanted to learn more about this. She couldn't help when she was born, and she certainly wouldn't use any knowledge incorrectly or immorally. "One reason that you should tell me is because knowledge is power, and I don't believe that I am one to abuse power, nor am I one to abuse knowledge. But I suppose an adult would know more than me."
And then he had started talking. Telling her about this. But... Hm. It seemed more dangerous than she had originally thought it to be. Of course, she had known about possible backfires, Fleependo originally being a backfire itself, but she thought that she might be able to do this much more easily than that. And then a question was asked. That much surprised her; that a Professor would ask her a question rather than the exact opposite happening.
"Why exactly do you want to know so much about spell creation and what do you plan to do with this knowledge?"
Shouldn't she respond with the truth? Koko wasn't usually one to lie; she didn't see the point in it. She did possess a silver tongue, but she had no reason to lie, not anytime, and certainly not now. "I want the knowledge because I could use it later on, and I could try to build off of it through my studies now." Koko tried her hardest to match the Professor's gaze as she spoke. "There are some people here in this school, people who shouldn't be allowed to be here. They could kill someone so easily... I need knowledge, power, to use against them. I might not use it immediately, but I will use it one day, and I would use it if someone were in need, or to save my own life by trial and error to create a spell." It was a mouthful, and a passionate one at that, but it was entirely truthful.
So she would gain understanding of how to do this. Meaning that she couldn't do it right now. What a shame. She had been looking forward to it. But she could still listen, and she could perhaps gain information that might help her on her quest, so she might achieve her goal sooner. A magical art would perhaps be fun to practice, but then again, all art required knowledge before one could do well in the field. Which was why Koko had come here in the first place.
She nodded when the Charms Professor spoke about the incantation. Yes, of course. Aguamenti was named that because of it's roots connecting with water, right? Koko had even considered one day creating a spell to Conjure darkness, but she doubted she would ever be that good. She finally unwrapped her lollipop - she had chosen butterscotch, her favourite flavour. She had forgotten to say a polite phrase of gratitude, but now she didn't want to interrupt the Professor as he finally revealed to her a small part of information she hadn't thought she'd hear until she was a fifth, sixth, or perhaps even a seventh year.
And then he asked her yet another question. What was this with the questions? Did he not expect her to have any more? If so, that was in incorrect assumption. Koko had many more questions; they always filled her head. But for now, she supposed she would answer the Professor's question. She would tread carefully, for in this subject she seemed to be sneaking around on thin ice.
"Hm... There were a lot of things said there. A wand wants to work with you, it's an extension of the arm, treat your wand with care, et cetera?" She had to ask because she hardly remembered it. She remembered the main guidelines, but not always the little things. Hopefully the Professor wouldn't notice her errors with remembering, but the child was sure that she had done a splendid job of covering it up. Of course, she couldn't always be so sure, but she wasn't too incorrect either. Or so she hoped.
"As for my questions, would you mind telling me what the importance of the wand movement is?" That was what Koko was stuck on. She understood the incantation. Wand movement, though... Wand movement was so odd... It was so hard for her to understand. She needed someone with a mastery of Charms to help her out there.
ReducioI apologise for the wait in reply; it may be like this for the coming weeks because I will be away from WiFi and cellular service during a portion of the second week of June.
[pc] koko riddle · 'pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.'
'it always starts and ends with birds.' · cyrus darsel [inpc]
12 Jun 2019, 07:21
Asked or Answered
Artemis rubbed at his left temple as the girl went on a tirade about knowledge being power and how there were students who didn't deserve to be in the school. He already was risking a lot by giving her the information about creating a spell. There honestly was more to spell creation than just the background of spell creation and wand movement. Miss Riddle seemed to want this knowledge because someone had hurt her. Possibly someone in this school. Artemis hoped it wasn't one of the students who were half-breeds. They have enough issues as it was what with human students treating them differently. If this child wanted to create a spell to harm one of those children, he definitely wouldn't be giving her the wand movement information.
That tone...Artemis knew that children became a bit touchy when it came time to remember their exact ages. His son was often telling adults that he was eight and not seven. However, Artemis was not one to take any form of disrespect from anyone lightly. Especially not a twelve-year-old little girl.
"Miss Riddle. First things first, you are going to watch that tone you're attempting to take with me. If you cannot understand that I am not only human but I can make mistakes regarding the ages of my students, then you can try to get your answers from another professor or from the library. Though I will warn you that you most likely will not have the best of luck there. Secondly, you are correct. Knowledge is power. We should all endeavor to be knowledgable about the things we do not understand and what we do understand, we should pursue more knowledge about it. However, I do not know you fully, Miss Riddle. How am I to be sure that I am not giving you knowledge that as of right now you won't abuse, but in the future, you may just do exactly what you said you wouldn't do?"
Standing up, Artemis moved across his classroom and began to rearrange some of the items he would be using in his next lesson. "Horace Slughorn disclosed knowledge onto one of his students too. That boy turned out to be a crazed maniac and dragged a lot of people down with him," Artemis said, the thought of his father briefly popping up into his head before he quickly dismissed the image.
"You do not seem like a child who would become the next Voldemort, so please do not think that I am comparing you to him. You're a genuine child and I do truly believe that you require information for information sake. However, you mentioned something about there being people in this school that shouldn't be here? If I may quote your exact words, 'There are some people here in this school, people who shouldn't be allowed to be here. They could kill someone so easily... I need knowledge, power, to use against them. I might not use it immediately, but I will use it one day, and I would use it if someone were in need, or to save my own life...'."
Artemis raised an eyebrow as he turned to look at her. "Miss Riddle, do you realize that what you just said is similar to what a dark witch or wizard would say? What gives you the right to say who should or should not be in this school? That is honestly no better than the ridiculous rhetoric the Death Eaters from the seventies and nineties used to say."
The Charms professor wasn't saying all of this to accuse her of dark magic or evil. He was saying this because starting right now, the child needed to learn how to think about what she said when she said it. A Slytherin at heart yet has the word vomit of a Gryffindor spouting their ridiculous bravado. She wanted information then she needed to learn how to manipulate those who she seeks information from. But even if she tried to manipulate Artemis, it wouldn't work. He shouldn't have even given her the information he had already on spell creation. If she were seventeen, then he would consider this an extra lesson. But giving this information to a twelve-year-old? A first-year student at that?
How was this any different than what Tom Riddle did to Horace Slughorn all of those years ago?
He heard her question and shook his head. The girl was persistent. With a sigh, he gave Koko his attention again.
"Convince me that you need this information, Miss Riddle. Meaning, tell me why you need to create a spell to protect yourself."
"For one thing, Professor, I happen to be twelve years old. One reason that you should tell me is because knowledge is power, and I don't believe that I am one to abuse power, nor am I one to abuse knowledge. But I suppose an adult would know more than me."
That tone...Artemis knew that children became a bit touchy when it came time to remember their exact ages. His son was often telling adults that he was eight and not seven. However, Artemis was not one to take any form of disrespect from anyone lightly. Especially not a twelve-year-old little girl.
"Miss Riddle. First things first, you are going to watch that tone you're attempting to take with me. If you cannot understand that I am not only human but I can make mistakes regarding the ages of my students, then you can try to get your answers from another professor or from the library. Though I will warn you that you most likely will not have the best of luck there. Secondly, you are correct. Knowledge is power. We should all endeavor to be knowledgable about the things we do not understand and what we do understand, we should pursue more knowledge about it. However, I do not know you fully, Miss Riddle. How am I to be sure that I am not giving you knowledge that as of right now you won't abuse, but in the future, you may just do exactly what you said you wouldn't do?"
Standing up, Artemis moved across his classroom and began to rearrange some of the items he would be using in his next lesson. "Horace Slughorn disclosed knowledge onto one of his students too. That boy turned out to be a crazed maniac and dragged a lot of people down with him," Artemis said, the thought of his father briefly popping up into his head before he quickly dismissed the image.
"You do not seem like a child who would become the next Voldemort, so please do not think that I am comparing you to him. You're a genuine child and I do truly believe that you require information for information sake. However, you mentioned something about there being people in this school that shouldn't be here? If I may quote your exact words, 'There are some people here in this school, people who shouldn't be allowed to be here. They could kill someone so easily... I need knowledge, power, to use against them. I might not use it immediately, but I will use it one day, and I would use it if someone were in need, or to save my own life...'."
Artemis raised an eyebrow as he turned to look at her. "Miss Riddle, do you realize that what you just said is similar to what a dark witch or wizard would say? What gives you the right to say who should or should not be in this school? That is honestly no better than the ridiculous rhetoric the Death Eaters from the seventies and nineties used to say."
The Charms professor wasn't saying all of this to accuse her of dark magic or evil. He was saying this because starting right now, the child needed to learn how to think about what she said when she said it. A Slytherin at heart yet has the word vomit of a Gryffindor spouting their ridiculous bravado. She wanted information then she needed to learn how to manipulate those who she seeks information from. But even if she tried to manipulate Artemis, it wouldn't work. He shouldn't have even given her the information he had already on spell creation. If she were seventeen, then he would consider this an extra lesson. But giving this information to a twelve-year-old? A first-year student at that?
How was this any different than what Tom Riddle did to Horace Slughorn all of those years ago?
He heard her question and shook his head. The girl was persistent. With a sigh, he gave Koko his attention again.
"Convince me that you need this information, Miss Riddle. Meaning, tell me why you need to create a spell to protect yourself."
Reducio
Sorry, there's a lot of dialogue and I had to backtrack a bit in the other post.
Artemis Vernatis
Professor of Charms
22 Jun 2019, 22:33
Asked or Answered
Immediately her posture, even her gaze, began to waver with slight guilt and discomfort. This professor dared compare her to a Dark wizard? She was nothing of the sort! Her little fists were clenched, her face was flushed with embarrassment, and she was shaking. Why, she was unsure. But she felt a great deal of sudden emotion and had no idea what to do with it.
"I-I'm sorry, I really am..." She wasn't. Well... kind of. She was sorry that he felt the need to compare her to these evil witches and wizards, but she wasn't sorry for what she had said. But then his other question struck her, and she decided to shut up. She had said enough. Koko needed to think.
So think she did. For a few moments, she did nothing but think. She really was a child with no intention to harm others, with no dark thoughts, at least none that she would act on. "Uh......" Koko thought aloud. "I don't know if I could convince you. You are absolutely correct in the sense that you don't know me very well, and I you." She frowned. She really didn't know this professor... How could she know that he could help her.
He was a professor. Duh. Idiot Koko. She internally wracked her brain for possible answers to his question before she shook her head and smiled. "While I doubt I could convince you fully, I would like to state my point. I've been attacked before, in this very school, and I feel it would be useful to have a spell created to... prevent that. Perhaps even to make others lack interest in you for a certain amount of time. Because... I was there in that Abandoned Toilets incident. I saw what happened with my own eyes, and, to be frank, it was quite terrifying. I could hardly believe it. I want to protect myself against that or prevent that from happening." She tried to look happy, she really did. But now she was worried. What if this didn't work? What if she couldn't learn from him? Well... She could go to Professor Pendrast or Professor Lian. They might know about this sort of thing... Right?
[pc] koko riddle · 'pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.'
'it always starts and ends with birds.' · cyrus darsel [inpc]
