How About This View?

Sometimes a boy just needed to get some air. The immediate fear had largely subsided by now. Though he still half expected his arm to explode every time he tried gesturing with a wand. His muggle reared mind kept trying to contextualise magic as electricity, a charge and current that was somehow coursing through him, focusing in the core of his wand and radiated out by the wood. Academically he knew that was not quite right, but even a young mind can have trouble shaking off years of established norms and assumptions. Combine that with what he assumed was the raw power needed to weave some of the charms and spells he had seen around the school, and it kept feeling like he had corked lightning in his body, and he knew what lightning could do to people.

But even if he no longer flet like he might explode, unless he thought about it too hard, everything was still overwhelming. He was not about to stop, or back down. The curtain had been pulled back, and it could never come down again. But sometimes he needed to take a moment, feel the wind, remind himself that trees were still trees and hills were still hills, before getting back to work.

Finding a toe hold he haled himself up to look comfortably out over the protective balustrade and across the highlands of Scotland. Wind messing his only recently tidied hair, enjoying the slight sting on his face of occasional sharp gusts and blasts of air. A small part of him wanted to throw on a backpack and hike out beyond the horizon. But he could ill afford that kind of indulgence, there was work to do, 11 years of institutional knowledge and inherited understanding to catch up on.

Letting himself drop back down to the walk way he saw a young girl, he guessed about his own age, and who by the green trim of her robes was a Slytherin. Now young Edmund may have prioritised trying to get up to speed on the “physics” of magic, and somewhat neglected the social side and history in his study sprint. But he had paid attention to the whispers and murmurs when he was sorted at least. Little good came from Slytherin, or so he was told. But then again some had spoken of traits that he considered virtues, and no matter what some may gossip no group of people were all bad, surely. Though there was another factor. The house cup. What was the point of a competition if you weren’t supposed to try and win it after all? Particularly when it come to an award for collegiate achievement! Could he ever really relax around or trust the competition?

Perhaps he could no, but as with so many other things, he was determined to find out. Taking a few steps toward the stranger he stuck out a hand.
“Edmund Byrd. A pleasure to meet you, I am sure.” He paused for a moment to gauge her reaction, attentive and cautious. Ready to coil like a snake, ironically enough, at the first sign of danger. Even if eagles were supposed to be a serpent’s natural predator he certainly did not feel like one. Conscious that he could not pause for too long, he gestured out across the vast vista that lay beyond the school. “Did you need to get away for a few moments as well?”

How About This View?
WC: 202
Mentions:@Edmund Byrd
Interactions: N/A

Bella glanced up from her painting when she heard a voice. It was a beautiful day, and Bella was outside at the viaduct with her paint set. Her fear of heights there had slowlyyyy decreased over time, and with trips with her friends there, she had gotten comfortable enough to start to enjoy her time there.

She was just about to start painting the trees, dipping her brush into the green paint, when she heard a voice. Startled, Bella almost tipped over the paint palette and sent it flying over into the void below.

“Oh, hi! I’m Bella Light. First year Slytherin. Nice to meet you, Edmund! Or Ed! Can I call you Ed? And I came out here because this is a lovely place to paint! It’s part of a project,” she explained. “But it is nice to have some fun and peaceful moments here. Hogwarts can be a lot to take in sometimes, right? What’s your favorite and least favorite part of school here?”

At this point, Bella had placed down her brushes, and her attention was completely on the boy, Edmund, who was in front of her. She wondered whether this might be a start of a new friendship.
Last edited by Bella Light on 11 Oct 2026, 05:08, edited 1 time in total.

"The sun rises and the sun sets. Then, it repeats."

How About This View?
As Bella almost knocked her paint pallet over the side Edmund instinctively half lunged to catch it. But seeing the gesture was unnecessary he aborted halfway through, instantly feeling like a bit of an idiot for it. Still, with a single brief straightening of his robes he rallied himself. Her question about shortening his name took him a little by surprise. Even though he had been here long enough to make a few introductions, he was always half expecting the use of longwinded ceremonial names, or chains of bizarre syllables from some long dead tongue. To ask to call him something as simple as Ed, even if it was reasonable and accurate, was a bit of a surprise.

“Sure Bella, you can call me Ed. That would be fine.” His tone was obviously slightly hesitant and taken aback, but not in a bad way in the least. Somehow it did not feel right to ask to call her Bell in return, Bella seemed better. He question about his favourite and least favourite parts of school made him chuckle, rocking a smidge on his heels he let his hands slide into his deep pockets.
“My favourite part and my least favourite part, are the same part.” He kept smiling as he deliberately allowed that unhelpful statement to sit there frustratingly for a moment. Enjoying the confusion he assumed it was creating before giving a sigh that was half weariness and half contentment, and turning to look out over the highlands.
“I know nothing. Nothing. I love the fact that this place is a door to a whole world that less than two months ago, I thought was fictional. I love that there is history, culture, science, art and subjects I do not even know how to name, here to learn. I can see a whole world I did not know existed.”

Turning to face Bella he was smiling softly, but she would see that gentle expression slowly shift into a slight frown and the trace of a grimace, a mildly frustrated bit entering his voice.
“But I know nothing. I have been handed a wonderous book and told to go from cover to cover. But I do not know how to read, I do not even know my ABCs.” He hoped his metaphor was clear. He could have reasoned by further analogy, such as when native tribes were handed guns and used them as clubs because they could not even conceive of the idea of a fire arm. But he opted for brevity.

He allowed the silence to sit for a while, before gesturing around as if to take in the whole view.
“That is why I am out here. Getting my head straight and grounding myself.” But, forcing a smile back on his face he looked Bella in the eye and asked. “But I am genuinely curious. What do you like most and least about this place?” His tone suggested he was looking for some deeper meaning in whatever her reply was, even if he was offered none.
WC 505 @Bella Light

How About This View?
WC: 314
Mentions: @Edmund Byrd
Interactions: N/A

Bella listened to Edmund's reply, nodding. He sounded surprised that she asked about a nickname, though she didn't remark to that part.

What did he mean by the fact that his favorite and least favorite part is the same part? she wondered before he continued. Understanding dawned on her as she listened to Ed's wise words. She really liked the analogy he made as well.

"You are from a muggle family, right, Ed?" she asked to clarify. "I feel like I sort of feel the same way, too. Well, not exactly, but a little bit. I'm half-blood, and though I knew the existence of magic before the letter, my parents gave me a mostly muggle upbringing. So honestly? I don't know much about magic yet. It's super fun to find out, but I have to change my mindset and everything I've ever learned. I guess as time goes on, we will get used to it. Having pureblood, half-blood, AND muggle friends gave me really different views of life! And the viaduct does provide a great calming experience." She nodded in understanding.

"I really like the magic, the mysteries, the secrets, and everything else here! It's all really fun and new to me, you know? Just coming to a school like this,"
She gestured towards the castle. "Is a very unique opportunity. Of course, I do feel homesick sometimes, though." She looked down, wanting to stick the words back into her mouth. It was too late, though, so she might as well just continue. "Sometimes...Hogwarts can be a bit much. Like, I love my friends, my magic, all of it, but now and then it can be really tiring to handle and balance. So in a way, coming out here is giving me a breather, too."

A smile started to grow on her face. "That being said, anything interesting you are looking forward to doing?"

"The sun rises and the sun sets. Then, it repeats."

How About This View?
Edmund nodded to confirm that he was indeed from a muggle family, listening attentively to Bella’s half blood experience. Mention of being homesick produced another sigh from him and a few slightly sad nods.
“I get home sick to. Not so much for the place or the family, though I do love them. But for my dogs. I miss taking Bertie and Honoria out on walks, miss playing with them, miss just having them around. They must still be confused where I am, particularly Honoria, poor thing.” He did not aim to particularly dwell on the point, and so instead focused in on more practical concerns. “How did you close the gap? I have been blitzing through my magical theory and book of spells books in my spare time. I want to read the history of magic, but I feel like making sure I don’t set on fire when I try to cast a spell is a higher priority.” He chuckled a little at the thought, but it was a slightly empty one. He knew it sounded ridiculous, but he was genuinely worried about that, and his ears pricked up every time he heard a whisper of the horrible sorts of injuries that landed you in the hospital wing.

“Looking forward to?” He asked slightly curiously in response to her question, before spinning around to look back at Hogwarts itself, his arms wide as if to encompass the whole thing. “I am looking forward to all of it! Every last scrap. Just as soon as I can find my footing on the first rung of the ladder. But that first step feels like grabbing smoke.” Letting his arms slowly fall back to his sides he grinned a little to himself, though the way he only did it with one half of his mouth made it look dangerously like a smirk. “Still, we Ravenclaws are supposed to be creative. If I can’t grab it I will find a way to bottle it instead.”

Turning back to her he seemed to deflate ever so slightly, which was probably a good thing as he had been becoming dangerously animated.
“I apologise, I am torturing the metaphor. To answer your question more helpfully, I am particularly looking forward to learning magical history, magical strategy and the physics of how magic works.” A slight glint in his eye suggested that several trains of thought had left the station and were starting to build up steam. The pace of his speech slowly getting faster to match the trains acceleration. “Combining physics and history for instance. So many spells seem rooted in Latin. Was magic more in the open those days, was that when we first started getting to grips with it. If so that implies that the early roman practices of animal sacrifice and curses on lead tablets worked. But I don’t see much in the way of animal sacrifice now, the implications about that for the mechanics of magic are…” He stopped dead, eyes wide, a look of shocking realisation on his face. His hands automatically going into his robes and drawing out a note pad that he started to scrawl in feverishly without looking at the page. “But we do still sacrifice animals, just bits of them! Wand cores, potion ingredients. Maybe it is less about chemistry and more about an ephemeral life force that is being used.”

His attention snapped around to Bella, his face a vivid mask of enquiry.
“What are your thoughts on this?” With one end of his pen he gestured to her paints, wiggling one end around a smidge like he was trying to grab at words whilst his mind was too jostled by competing thoughts. “Are you painting one of those enchanted paintings that move? Are there animal components in the paint?”

WC 634 @Bella Light