GETTING SORTED

I arrived at the Great Hall with the other first-years, headed by a Proffesor whom I didn't know. The Hall looked simply out of the world! There were 4 tables , with many students sitting on them, and a large podium table, where the teachers were sitting. In the middle, I saw a stool, with a large wizard pointy hat kept on it. The brim was ripped to look like a mouth. The ceiling, however, caught my attention. It was enchanted. It looked just like the cloudy night sky I had seen outside the castle earlier! There were hundreds of floating candles as well. It was a mermerising scene, I got to agree! I was thinking about my life in Hogwarts when suddenly a strange loud voice started to say something. It was the Sorting Hat, kept on the stool, which began to sing a rather funny song, but it must've been funny because of his voice. As the hat finished his song, the Proffesor who had escorted us into the castle declared that the sorting ceremony had officially begun, and we would be sorted to our houses, which would be more of a family to us in our Hogwarts years. She started calling the first-years, and with each passing name, my excitement and a slight anxiety started to grow. I really wanted Gryffindor, but would I get it? The child before me got sorted into Hufflepuff, and then, the Proffesor called me : "Garden, Edward!" . I walked towards the stool, and then sat on it. The Professor put the hat on my head. My eyes were suddenly enclosed in darkness. I got very nervous about what would happen next. Suddenly, that same funny voice now spoke, except it was now serious. I wanted to ask him why he was saying stuff out loud and asking me my favourite flavour of the infamous Every Flavour Beans, when the voice(the hat) said, "Oh come on! You really thought I would speak aloud. Its Legillimency!" "What's that?" " Advanced Magic," , he replied, "You will discover more such interesting things in Hogwarts! But first, let's get you sorted!". Saying this, the hat asked me all sorts of questions, my ambitions, my personality according to me, my favourite Quidditch club, and what not! And after what seemed to be forever, the voice screamed : "GRYFFINDOR!" . My immediate reaction was a massive rush of relief and excitement! The house I had wanted so much, I had recieved! The Professor took the hat off me, and with a wand, changed my normal black robes into Gryffindor robes. The Gryffindor Table on the righ-middle exploded with applause. Happily, I ran off towards the Gryffindor table. A pale, translucent figure of a royal person welcomed me, and so did the Prefect, who shook hands with me. Another boy who had just been sorted into Gryffindor felt relieved and told me he feared no one else would get sorted to Gryffindor. As the other people got sorted, I looked at them, but actually, the mind was racing through what was to come: meeting people, exploring this castle, classes, Quidditch, friends, and what not!

EDWARD GARDEN
1st YEAR STUDENT AT HOGWARTS