✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
I paused just outside the door of the charms classroom, my throat had this lump in it that didn’t make it all that much easier to actually enter the room. It was my first charms class, sure maybe not my first day, but a first charms class was just as nerve-wracking, right? After all, it wasn’t exactly easy suddenly being told you were a witch when that’s something you were planning to get dressed up as for Halloween just a few months ago. I tried to talk some sense into myself, I really did. “No Nellie, don’t be scared, just go in. I mean, you’ll have to go in sooner or later. It’s best to get it done and over with.” I muttered to myself, although if I was being perfectly honest, it wasn’t as comforting as I thought it would be. Eventually, once I gathered enough courage, which wasn’t exactly easy, I eventually entered the classroom. I paused for just a second, looking around at all of the other first years, before I walked further into the room. I went to sit at a seat by the wall in the middle row, not because I didn’t want to make friends, I did, I really did, I just was too nervous at the moment to talk to anybody else, how would you even start that conversation? “Oh hey, so.. how about that.. uhhh… that potion brewing?” Yeah no, I didn’t think so. I quietly sat, both anticipating my first charm lesson since obviously being a witch was amazing, but also dreading it since.. well.. I didn’t know anything about it yet and I felt like one of those randoms who stayed in the corners since they had absolutely no friends. I just hoped she didn’t call on me and maybe that I could make a new friend in here.
“Moon dust in your lungs,
stars in your eyes.
You are a child of the Cosmos,
and ruler of the skies.”
— Erin Lester
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
Hasianna steps into the classroom, looking around. Her first charms lesson! Finally, more opportunities to learn spell casting! She was overjoyed that classes were starting, and the only problem was having a friend to sit next to every lesson. She had already met some Ravenclaws in her common room but they didn't seem to be there at the moment.
Her father had told her stories about his time at Hogwarts, and most of the best ones involved friends. All she needed to do to have a good time is meet new people! Hasianna was both extroverted and introverted, and today she was in a good mood and was up to socializing.
Holding her books tighter to her body, she steps forward, and takes in the classroom. There were rows of chairs, most occupied at the front and back. Several other first years were seated in small groups, wands laid out on the table while they chatted. A girl clad in the colours of Hufflepuff was sitting by herself in the middle row. She looked a bit nervous to be there, so Hasianna shuffles past everyone to set her books down beside her. Hopefully she didn't come off as intimidating or anything. She wanted to be friends with this girl!
"Hi." Hasianna smiles, waving slightly, "I'm Hasianna. Is this seat free?" She doesn't want to admit it, but she holds her breath slightly and hopes that Hufflepuff girl doesn't mind her sitting there.
Her father had told her stories about his time at Hogwarts, and most of the best ones involved friends. All she needed to do to have a good time is meet new people! Hasianna was both extroverted and introverted, and today she was in a good mood and was up to socializing.
Holding her books tighter to her body, she steps forward, and takes in the classroom. There were rows of chairs, most occupied at the front and back. Several other first years were seated in small groups, wands laid out on the table while they chatted. A girl clad in the colours of Hufflepuff was sitting by herself in the middle row. She looked a bit nervous to be there, so Hasianna shuffles past everyone to set her books down beside her. Hopefully she didn't come off as intimidating or anything. She wanted to be friends with this girl!
"Hi." Hasianna smiles, waving slightly, "I'm Hasianna. Is this seat free?" She doesn't want to admit it, but she holds her breath slightly and hopes that Hufflepuff girl doesn't mind her sitting there.
one must know the problem better than the solution, or the solution becomes the problem.
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
I pause whenever I see the Ravenclaw girl approaching me, when she stops by me I cant help it, my eyes widen a little bit and my breath seems to have gotten caught in my throat. She was asking to sit with me, which means.. I might be getting one of those hopes off my checklist for today after all, just had to still pray he didn’t call on me today. I eventually gave a small little smile, the kind that’s warm but also a little nervous or awkward, I mean duh, I didn’t want to scare her off. I knew almost nothing about the wizarding world and not only would I need a friend to help process and understand all of this, but also company never really hurt anyone, right? I quickly spoke, “Oh-..!! I-.. yeah, yeah sure, I mean.. um.. of course!!” Which causes me to feel what was probably the worst second hand embarrassment I’ve ever felt in my whole entire eleven years of living. Which sure maybe wasn’t a lot of years I guess for some.. but I’ve seen plenty of embarrassing things! My cheeks flushed from embarrassment at how eager I thought I sounded, but I moved over a bit more and moved my stuff closer to me so she’d have room. I sit there awkwardly for a moment.. not really the best look for me though, so eventually I give a quiet little voice, “Um.. so.. what’s your name..? You’re a Ravenclaw, right?” I ask, it’s immediately followed by my brain practically scolding me for such a stupid and awkward question, “”You’re a Ravenclaw, right?” oh my goodness are you dumb?! Of course she’s a Ravenclaw! Look at her robes!”
“Moon dust in your lungs,
stars in your eyes.
You are a child of the Cosmos,
and ruler of the skies.”
— Erin Lester
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
She smiles as she watches the girl speak quickly, sensing how the Hufflepuff was a bit nervous. The girl moves her stuff out the way - really, Hasianna already had plenty of room, but it was a sweet gesture - with a bit of an awkward demeanour, but Hasianna didn't mind. Maybe she'd be able to help the girl feel comfortable with her?
"Yeah, I am a Ravenclaw." Hasianna makes jazz hands at her robes, not making fun of the Hufflepuff but simply playing along to ease the tensions, "and thank you so so so much for letting me sit with you. I was hoping to meet a new friend today." She slides into her new seat and shifts her textbooks slightly, laying her wand on the table next to her desk buddys.
She looks around at the surrounding classmates, some being rowdy and foolish. She likes sitting next to this girl, not causing any trouble or talking too loudly. Hasianna has a feeling that the two would get along well.
"My name is Hasianna, but you can call me Hass. It's much easier to remember." She says with a smile, "what's your name?" Hasianna asks curiously, and out of Ravenclaw spite she adds, "If I may take a guess, I would say your name is, like, Ellie or Lily." She smiles sheepishly, unable to resist the temptation of a guessing game, "was I close?'
"Yeah, I am a Ravenclaw." Hasianna makes jazz hands at her robes, not making fun of the Hufflepuff but simply playing along to ease the tensions, "and thank you so so so much for letting me sit with you. I was hoping to meet a new friend today." She slides into her new seat and shifts her textbooks slightly, laying her wand on the table next to her desk buddys.
She looks around at the surrounding classmates, some being rowdy and foolish. She likes sitting next to this girl, not causing any trouble or talking too loudly. Hasianna has a feeling that the two would get along well.
"My name is Hasianna, but you can call me Hass. It's much easier to remember." She says with a smile, "what's your name?" Hasianna asks curiously, and out of Ravenclaw spite she adds, "If I may take a guess, I would say your name is, like, Ellie or Lily." She smiles sheepishly, unable to resist the temptation of a guessing game, "was I close?'
one must know the problem better than the solution, or the solution becomes the problem.
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
I smile back whenever this Ravenclaw girl seemed to be trying to lighten the mood. It made the atmosphere a bit less awkward and nerve-wracking. I give a little laugh at the jazz hands, I can tell she’s just trying to lighten up the mood and make me less nervous. “It’s nothing, really. I was honestly hoping to make a new friend too. So I guess you could say I’m glad you sat with me. I say, that might’ve been a little understatement, I was extremely glad she’d actually came and sat beside me, I definitely needed a friend in here, so I wasn’t complaining. Whenever the Ravenclaw girl sat and put down her wand and textbooks I admired her own supplies and then I look down at my supplies and realize they’re a bit messy from that quick push over to make room so I start organizing them a bit then look back at the Ravenclaw girl when she speaks again, telling me her name. “Hass? That’s a pretty name. Also.. you were sort of close with Ellie, my name is Nellie, or well it’s really Noelle but nobody ever calls me Noelle.” I say and give an even bigger smile.
“Moon dust in your lungs,
stars in your eyes.
You are a child of the Cosmos,
and ruler of the skies.”
— Erin Lester
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
Hasianna listens as the girl - Nellie, she now knows - speaks. She seems more comfortable now, which is awesome. She is very humble as she mentions the seating and how she needed a friend. It would be nice to have interhouse friends, as some classes are only certain houses together.
"I'd gladly be your friend!" Hasianna smiles, "it's nice to have someone you can rely on at school. Maybe we could head to the library one time."
Hasianna watches as Nellie shuffles her books around, fixing the stack. Hasianna really didn't mind, messy notes can show how involved someone is in learning, rushing to write down everything they hear. Its admirable and refreshing, compared to her own books, sorted by lesson and cleaned out every week. It can be a hassle, but all Hasianna wants is to live up to the Ravenclaw expectation.
"Well, I was close." She smiles in response to her name guessing, "Noelle is a nice name. I'm assuming you prefer Nellie?"
Hasianna adds, "Oh, and I just have to say - your hair is so pretty! It's such a nice colour, and the curls are cute. Makes your complexion look much warmer. I like it. My hair sometimes feels so boring and makes me feel so pale." She considers something, and pulls out a box, "I have some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. You want one?" She holds out the box.
"I'd gladly be your friend!" Hasianna smiles, "it's nice to have someone you can rely on at school. Maybe we could head to the library one time."
Hasianna watches as Nellie shuffles her books around, fixing the stack. Hasianna really didn't mind, messy notes can show how involved someone is in learning, rushing to write down everything they hear. Its admirable and refreshing, compared to her own books, sorted by lesson and cleaned out every week. It can be a hassle, but all Hasianna wants is to live up to the Ravenclaw expectation.
"Well, I was close." She smiles in response to her name guessing, "Noelle is a nice name. I'm assuming you prefer Nellie?"
Hasianna adds, "Oh, and I just have to say - your hair is so pretty! It's such a nice colour, and the curls are cute. Makes your complexion look much warmer. I like it. My hair sometimes feels so boring and makes me feel so pale." She considers something, and pulls out a box, "I have some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. You want one?" She holds out the box.
one must know the problem better than the solution, or the solution becomes the problem.
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
I feel my smile widen a bit into something more warm whenever Hasianna said she’d be my friend. I said, “really? That’d be really nice, actually. Visiting the library with you, that is.” I said then whenever she complimented me then asked if I want one of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, I moved a bit in my seat to face her a bit more since up until now I’ve been twisting around to see her a bit, so I move to look at her then instinctively touch my curls as she compliments them, it was reassuring since I wasn’t the best at caring for them as nobody had ever really taught me and it was a bit embarrassing. Her compliments made me feel all giddy and warm, as compliments usually did. I tried not to smile too big as not to scare her off. “Really? Thank you!! I’m a little embarrassed about them sometimes since they can get pretty frizzy every now and then. Also, don’t bring yourself down, your black hair is beautiful as well!! It kind of reminds me of writing ink or a black cat. Both are good things.” I said then when she offered one of the beans I happily said, “Oh, please!! Just as long as we won’t get in trouble for having them.” I said and then continued, “Are you nervous for the lesson to start? I know I am..” I admitted and gave a little laugh at myself for being scared.
“Moon dust in your lungs,
stars in your eyes.
You are a child of the Cosmos,
and ruler of the skies.”
— Erin Lester
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
She listens as Nellie talks about her hair, and she smiles slightly, "true. I guess curls would be hard to manage. Surely there some spell or concoction that can assist with your styling?" Hasianna raises an eyebrow, intrigued. She does recall reading about 'Sleekeazy's Hair Potion', but that was mainly for taming it, not curl definition.
She smiles as her hair is complimented back, "oh, that's so sweet of you!" Her hand touches the straight locks, "I do like cats. And writing." She studies Nellies hair, "I would say yours reminds me of a sun ray. Or a..." She pauses, thinking deeply, "A dog. Golden...something? Never mind." She frowns, slightly embarrassed at her lack of Muggle culture knowledge due to her Pureblood status. Hasianna personally didn't care about blood status, and honestly found it fascinating to meet those with a different kind.
Hasianna smiles again, mood lifted as Nellie takes the bean, "hopefully the flavour you picked is decent. I pulled earwax the other day." She grimaces at the memory. She could still remember the texture...yuck. It may not be the worse flavour out there, but it was certainly horrid!
At Nellies next question, Hasianna tilts her head, thinking. "I'm definitely more excited than nervous, but there are a few butterflies. I've been the same for all my other classes. I just want to learn everything!" She grins, "and that's perfectly fine to be nervous. If you need help, I'd be happy to assist you!"
She looks around for the professor, who isn't present yet, and takes a bean for herself. She chews slightly, and to her relief, it was a simple blueberry flavour. "I swear, these things are an absolute gamble. Another question, if you don't mind." She smiles, unsure if Nellie minded her being curious, "What's your nationality? It's fascinating to learn where people are from."
She smiles as her hair is complimented back, "oh, that's so sweet of you!" Her hand touches the straight locks, "I do like cats. And writing." She studies Nellies hair, "I would say yours reminds me of a sun ray. Or a..." She pauses, thinking deeply, "A dog. Golden...something? Never mind." She frowns, slightly embarrassed at her lack of Muggle culture knowledge due to her Pureblood status. Hasianna personally didn't care about blood status, and honestly found it fascinating to meet those with a different kind.
Hasianna smiles again, mood lifted as Nellie takes the bean, "hopefully the flavour you picked is decent. I pulled earwax the other day." She grimaces at the memory. She could still remember the texture...yuck. It may not be the worse flavour out there, but it was certainly horrid!
At Nellies next question, Hasianna tilts her head, thinking. "I'm definitely more excited than nervous, but there are a few butterflies. I've been the same for all my other classes. I just want to learn everything!" She grins, "and that's perfectly fine to be nervous. If you need help, I'd be happy to assist you!"
She looks around for the professor, who isn't present yet, and takes a bean for herself. She chews slightly, and to her relief, it was a simple blueberry flavour. "I swear, these things are an absolute gamble. Another question, if you don't mind." She smiles, unsure if Nellie minded her being curious, "What's your nationality? It's fascinating to learn where people are from."
one must know the problem better than the solution, or the solution becomes the problem.
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
I paused whenever she mentioned some sort of spell or potion and I said, “Oh well, I’m not sure. I haven’t really studied up on that type of stuff, I’m a muggle-born and was too busy overthinking and rethinking my whole life to actually study on the magical stuff.” I say and then whenever she mentions a golden dog, I brighten a little instead of that awkward demeanor I just had, since I’m much more comfortable with muggle stuff than magical stuff since well I’ve been a muggle my whole life, or at least, that’s what I had thought. I immediately said, “Oh!! A golden retriever? I’m flattered. They’re very sweet and warm.” I say and give a soft little smile at her and then I pop one of the beans into my mouth hesitantly, I chew for a bit just to find that it’s just cherry. I’ve never felt more relief than in that moment, it seemed. I would’ve had to excuse myself to rinse my mouth out if I’d gotten anything even remotely similar to earwax. I happily said, “Oh!! I got cherry!!” And then whenever she asked my nationality I said, “Oh well my dad’s French and my mum’s English. But I was always raised in England. How about you?”
“Moon dust in your lungs,
stars in your eyes.
You are a child of the Cosmos,
and ruler of the skies.”
— Erin Lester
✨~ First charms lesson ~✨
A student across the room behind to make a book levitate, and his friends start cheering him on. The book whizzes around the room, leaving a cool breeze behind, but Hasianna ignores it. This conversation is too intriguing.
She nods after hearing how Nellie is a muggle born. "That's cool. Growing up as a supposed Muggle and then, boom, you're a witch Nellie." Hasianna laughs slightly, "how did you even react to that?"
Hasianna listens as Nellie confidently mentions the Golden...Retriever? What an odd name. It really must be a common Muggle creature. "Are the Golden... thingies common? And are they cute? Like, cuter than a Niffler or Mooncalf?" She smiles, assuming Nellie knows what they are. The book from earlier whizzes between them and Hasianna frowns slightly. Ridiculous. Impressive magic, but ridiculous. Okay fine, shes totally impressed.
"Oh, French? That's so cool." She nods, never ever before has she met a french person, "hey, what a coincidence? I was raised in England too!" She smiles at this new thing they have in common. "Imagine we were actually friends before Hogwarts but we just don't remember? Where in England?"
At the question of her own nationality, she tilts her head slightly, a habit she has whenever she is explaining something, "I'm half English, half Japanese. My mother Michiko, attended Mahoutokoro. But then she moved to London and met my dad."
She nods after hearing how Nellie is a muggle born. "That's cool. Growing up as a supposed Muggle and then, boom, you're a witch Nellie." Hasianna laughs slightly, "how did you even react to that?"
Hasianna listens as Nellie confidently mentions the Golden...Retriever? What an odd name. It really must be a common Muggle creature. "Are the Golden... thingies common? And are they cute? Like, cuter than a Niffler or Mooncalf?" She smiles, assuming Nellie knows what they are. The book from earlier whizzes between them and Hasianna frowns slightly. Ridiculous. Impressive magic, but ridiculous. Okay fine, shes totally impressed.
"Oh, French? That's so cool." She nods, never ever before has she met a french person, "hey, what a coincidence? I was raised in England too!" She smiles at this new thing they have in common. "Imagine we were actually friends before Hogwarts but we just don't remember? Where in England?"
At the question of her own nationality, she tilts her head slightly, a habit she has whenever she is explaining something, "I'm half English, half Japanese. My mother Michiko, attended Mahoutokoro. But then she moved to London and met my dad."
one must know the problem better than the solution, or the solution becomes the problem.