25 Aug 2023, 06:24
A “Charming” Class
It seems Pendulum was right about them needing an explanation of what 'tl;dr' meant. (Not that they had really expected to be wrong... They were pretty sure at least one of their Slytherin friends, if not both, was a pureblood, and they wouldn't be surprised if neither of them were muggleborn. They gathered that there weren't many muggleborn Slytherins around.)
Pendulum noted in slight amusement that Sylvia seemed a lot more shocked/confused at Pendulum's use of the acronym than Orion... Then again, Orion might just be simply absorbed in his plans for mischief instead. It's very possible.
To Sylvia, they said simply: "It's a Muggle thing... Basically means what's next will be summarized." Not exactly the full picture, sure, but.. close enough, maybe.
Pendulum's expression becomes slightly worried as Orion continues his description. Even before Sylvia speaks up, they see issues. Whoever makes the food could be there... We could get caught sneaking back in... None of us have any idea how good the others are at sneaking... We might get caught selling the food, or it could even go bad before we get any chance to sell it... We might get lost on the way to the Kitchens... or the way back... we could be suspiciously tired the next day... we could be caught by a wandering teacher or student...
And then, of course, Sylvia adds her note about observing their surroundings first and caution on what first impression they leave. In all honesty, Pendulum doesn't really care much about visiting shops or the Kitchens. If the Forest wasn't so dangerous... That's one place they'd like to go, if they didn't think they'd probably get eaten.
Still, Sylvia seems on the fence. Time for Pendulum's two cents.
"I don't know..." they say. "It's a lot easier to sneak when no one else is around to catch you. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any plausible reasons for us randomly being in the Kitchens at midnight."
Left unspoken, of course, is that Pendulum is a peculiarly unambitious Slytherin in most ways: given the power to have some decent luck and their family left alone, they may well have chosen it above magic at all! Of course, magic doesn't work that way. Hey, a kid can imagine.
But Pendulum makes do. Their family isn't rich, but they aren't poor, and with a pencil and something resembling paper they can draw. With an internet connection and a decent phone or computer, which is always there back home, they can access the information of the world. Personally, they simply find difficulty in finding a why... i.e., why should I take the risk?
Pendulum noted in slight amusement that Sylvia seemed a lot more shocked/confused at Pendulum's use of the acronym than Orion... Then again, Orion might just be simply absorbed in his plans for mischief instead. It's very possible.
To Sylvia, they said simply: "It's a Muggle thing... Basically means what's next will be summarized." Not exactly the full picture, sure, but.. close enough, maybe.
Pendulum's expression becomes slightly worried as Orion continues his description. Even before Sylvia speaks up, they see issues. Whoever makes the food could be there... We could get caught sneaking back in... None of us have any idea how good the others are at sneaking... We might get caught selling the food, or it could even go bad before we get any chance to sell it... We might get lost on the way to the Kitchens... or the way back... we could be suspiciously tired the next day... we could be caught by a wandering teacher or student...
And then, of course, Sylvia adds her note about observing their surroundings first and caution on what first impression they leave. In all honesty, Pendulum doesn't really care much about visiting shops or the Kitchens. If the Forest wasn't so dangerous... That's one place they'd like to go, if they didn't think they'd probably get eaten.
Still, Sylvia seems on the fence. Time for Pendulum's two cents.
"I don't know..." they say. "It's a lot easier to sneak when no one else is around to catch you. I don't know about you, but I can't think of any plausible reasons for us randomly being in the Kitchens at midnight."
Left unspoken, of course, is that Pendulum is a peculiarly unambitious Slytherin in most ways: given the power to have some decent luck and their family left alone, they may well have chosen it above magic at all! Of course, magic doesn't work that way. Hey, a kid can imagine.
But Pendulum makes do. Their family isn't rich, but they aren't poor, and with a pencil and something resembling paper they can draw. With an internet connection and a decent phone or computer, which is always there back home, they can access the information of the world. Personally, they simply find difficulty in finding a why... i.e., why should I take the risk?
Interacting with @Sylvia Nightingale and @Orion Quinn
Well, this should be interesting...
~ Pendulum Feather
Stamina: 9| Evasion: 7 | Strength: 3| Wisdom: 5| Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 3
27 Aug 2023, 20:34
A “Charming” Class
Orion was glad Sylvia seemed to be onboard with his idea, even as Pendulum was understandably reluctant to engage in this sort of behavior. Or maybe they just didn't like mischief in general. Pendulum just didn't seem to be the typical Slytherin archetype and Orion took a moment to consider what they were doing in Slytherin in the first place but of course, he would never be so tactless to bring it up with them.
"I agree that we should do some reconnaissance before trying to make it inside. As for not wanting to make money, that's fine, more for me." Orion gave a friendly smile at this. "Maybe we take it in turns to hang around the kitchen area to observe what there is to observe while trying not to be obvious about what we're trying to do. If this works out, maybe we can try sneaking into the forest for fun or even Hogsmeade! Imagine that, little first years hanging out in Hogsmeade!"
Orion was getting very excited at the prospect of using some of the skills he had learned from his father's associates and making his own money. Of course, he didn't really need the money, it was more about the thrill of it than the reward for him.
"I agree that we should do some reconnaissance before trying to make it inside. As for not wanting to make money, that's fine, more for me." Orion gave a friendly smile at this. "Maybe we take it in turns to hang around the kitchen area to observe what there is to observe while trying not to be obvious about what we're trying to do. If this works out, maybe we can try sneaking into the forest for fun or even Hogsmeade! Imagine that, little first years hanging out in Hogsmeade!"
Orion was getting very excited at the prospect of using some of the skills he had learned from his father's associates and making his own money. Of course, he didn't really need the money, it was more about the thrill of it than the reward for him.
Reducio
OOC: I haven't tried to post there but I have access to the kitchen section. It might be a school rule rather than a site rule
Stats: Stamina: 6 | Evasion: 6 | Strength: 4 | Wisdom: 5 | Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 6
Steal a little and they'll put you in jail, steal a lot and they'll make you king.
29 Aug 2023, 10:16
A “Charming” Class
![]()
IC Date: Sept 3rd Interacting with: @Pendulum Feather & @Orion Quinn
Mentioning: N/A Speech | ThoughtsSylvia wasn’t much surprised when she heard Pendulum’s opinion on Orion’s idea of sneaking into the Kitchens at night. As far as she knew, Pendulum seems like the type who dislikes taking any risks, especially those that has to do with disobeying school rules. Which trait of hers placed her in Slytherin? Sylvia wondered, since Pendulum most definitely seemed more like a Hufflepuff or a Ravenclaw to her.
As for Orion, he is apparently quite relieved after seeing their reactions. His idea of taking turns to watch outside the Kitchens sounds rather reasonable, though that person must be able to keep calm under all circumstances. “That sounds like a good idea… However, we might get into trouble if that person panics and draws even more attention to us.” Again remembering Pendulum’s worry of being caught, she suggested: “We could also try exploring the Dungeons. From what I’ve heard, there’s not much surveillance down there.”
Taking another look at the time, she saw that it the class is about to begin within half a minute. Since their conversation is still far from over, they’ll either have to keep it short, learn to keep their voices down, or continue again after class is finished.OOC Note: I can’t create a new thread under the “Kitchens” section currently, can either of you do it?
Dreams make good stories. But everything important happens when we're awake.
30 Aug 2023, 01:49
A “Charming” Class
Pendulum can tell both of them are wondering why they are in Slytherin. Let them wonder... the first-year thinks with malicious glee. They'll never find out! Cartoony evil laughter sounds in their head.
...Of course, there is the small matter that they themself have zero (0) clue why they are in Slytherin. Possessing no pure blood, neither any particular connection to magic or strong ambition. But all the Houses have their weak points, surely. I mean, imagine being brave! Or studying all the time. Or... Getting free food and being underestimated by others.... Pendulum's brow furrowed. What exactly were the downsides of being in Hufflepuff supposed to be again?
...Seriously, why wasn't Pendulum a Hufflepuff?
Anyways. Pendulum listened closely to Orion's idea. They felt relieved at the idea of reconnaissance (although it begged the question of how, exactly, the watcher would warn the others). Still, sneaking into the forest sounded fun. Well, it sounded scary, but I mean... when were they *not* baseline scared?
Also.
Less people.
Sylvia then started talking about exploring the dungeons. This seemed much safer, and could probably be done completely within the bounds of the school rules. A good way to see how good they actually were at sneaking too. "That sounds like a good idea," I say. "Exploring the Dungeons would be a good test run."
At this point, class has officially started and it's now too risky to speak, in Pendulum's opinion at least. The class seems to be a lot quieter.
Time for a Muggle strategy... I think, writing onto a note I sneakily pass to Orion and then a copy I pass to Sylvia.
It reads:
Well, it'll probably be a bit risky to discuss our plans with the class so quiet, also might be best not to attract attention. We should probably lie low when we aren't doing these outings otherwise the teachers will be suspicious of us before we even are here for very long, at least in my opinion. And going to the Forest does sound interesting, but I heard it was very dangerous. Are the outskirts safer, do you know?
...Of course, there is the small matter that they themself have zero (0) clue why they are in Slytherin. Possessing no pure blood, neither any particular connection to magic or strong ambition. But all the Houses have their weak points, surely. I mean, imagine being brave! Or studying all the time. Or... Getting free food and being underestimated by others.... Pendulum's brow furrowed. What exactly were the downsides of being in Hufflepuff supposed to be again?
...Seriously, why wasn't Pendulum a Hufflepuff?
Anyways. Pendulum listened closely to Orion's idea. They felt relieved at the idea of reconnaissance (although it begged the question of how, exactly, the watcher would warn the others). Still, sneaking into the forest sounded fun. Well, it sounded scary, but I mean... when were they *not* baseline scared?
Also.
Less people.
Sylvia then started talking about exploring the dungeons. This seemed much safer, and could probably be done completely within the bounds of the school rules. A good way to see how good they actually were at sneaking too. "That sounds like a good idea," I say. "Exploring the Dungeons would be a good test run."
At this point, class has officially started and it's now too risky to speak, in Pendulum's opinion at least. The class seems to be a lot quieter.
Time for a Muggle strategy... I think, writing onto a note I sneakily pass to Orion and then a copy I pass to Sylvia.
It reads:
Well, it'll probably be a bit risky to discuss our plans with the class so quiet, also might be best not to attract attention. We should probably lie low when we aren't doing these outings otherwise the teachers will be suspicious of us before we even are here for very long, at least in my opinion. And going to the Forest does sound interesting, but I heard it was very dangerous. Are the outskirts safer, do you know?
Reducio
As far as I can tell, I can't create a thread for the Kitchens for sure. Maybe there's some setup or something? Or maybe Orion's character has more access to the Kitchens for some reason?
Interacting with @Sylvia Nightingale and @Orion Quinn
Well, this should be interesting...
~ Pendulum Feather
Stamina: 9| Evasion: 7 | Strength: 3| Wisdom: 5| Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 3
30 Aug 2023, 02:59
A “Charming” Class
Orion was getting over excited now at the prospect of creating mischief and getting something from it. As Charms class went on, he tried to think of ways to scout out the kitchen corridor and the dungeons in general. He thought about how the three of them could split up watches and what kind of security might be in place, after all, they can't be the first students to consider pilfering the kitchens.
After reading Pendulum's note, Orion thought about the risks and the only minor payoff of what he was planning. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. While the dungeons and the forest could be fun to explore, he couldn't really see any immediate benefit from them. He would have to think harder about what he was going to do and how to tell the other two that he was no longer interested in the kitchen idea...for now.
Orion thought for a bit and wrote his own note:
"I think the risk to reward ratio might be skewed a bit towards the risk side. I'm not sure we should pursue the kitchen idea any further for now. The dungeons and forest also seem like high risk with little to no reward. I know the kitchens were my idea but I may have been a little too ambitious for my own good with that. I have a couple of new contacts in Slytherin that I can ask about these kinds of things. If I find something new, will you be interested?"
Orion copied the note and gave one to each of his fellow first years, eagerly awaiting their responses with a face noticeably more red with slight embarrassment at having to cancel his own fun idea.
After reading Pendulum's note, Orion thought about the risks and the only minor payoff of what he was planning. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all. While the dungeons and the forest could be fun to explore, he couldn't really see any immediate benefit from them. He would have to think harder about what he was going to do and how to tell the other two that he was no longer interested in the kitchen idea...for now.
Orion thought for a bit and wrote his own note:
"I think the risk to reward ratio might be skewed a bit towards the risk side. I'm not sure we should pursue the kitchen idea any further for now. The dungeons and forest also seem like high risk with little to no reward. I know the kitchens were my idea but I may have been a little too ambitious for my own good with that. I have a couple of new contacts in Slytherin that I can ask about these kinds of things. If I find something new, will you be interested?"
Orion copied the note and gave one to each of his fellow first years, eagerly awaiting their responses with a face noticeably more red with slight embarrassment at having to cancel his own fun idea.
Reducio
OOC: I can't make a thread in the kitchens either so I guess it is a site rule instead of a school rule. I also can't access the dungeons or the forest. I can start a new thread in the Caretaker's office, however
Stats: Stamina: 6 | Evasion: 6 | Strength: 4 | Wisdom: 5 | Arcane Power: 8 | Accuracy: 6
Steal a little and they'll put you in jail, steal a lot and they'll make you king.
30 Aug 2023, 11:37
A “Charming” Class
![]()
IC Date: Sept 3rd Interacting with: @Pendulum Feather & @Orion Quinn
Mentioning: N/A Speech | ThoughtsThe atmosphere inside the classroom immediately became significantly more serious after the teacher stepped inside. Knowing better than to attract attention to themselves by chatting so loudly, Sylvia saw that the other two chose to start passing notes to one another instead.
Despite the fact that the action of sliding a note to another may still be noticed by a teacher with excellent eyesight, Sylvia silently agreed that this is the best choice they had for now. Reading what Pendulum and Orion has to say respectively, Sylvia was slightly startled by Orion’s decision of taking back his previous suggestion of mischief so quickly.
Since she hasn’t exactly been a big fan of that idea from the start either, Sylvia didn’t really mind not carrying it out. But where else could we go? Suddenly coming up with a seemingly good idea, she quickly scribbled a note to the other two.
I’m perfectly fine with not trying to explore the Kitchens anymore, since it isn’t really such an exciting idea in the first place. I have another idea, how about trying to enter the Room of Requirement? I think it would be less risky, since we could go during daytime, and we might find something much more special than food. What do you two think about this?
P.S. Please tell me if you have a better idea, I would most definitely be interested.OOC Note: How about the Room of Requirement instead? At least I have access to it.
Dreams make good stories. But everything important happens when we're awake.