Register
Sign in
23 Jul 2023, 13:52
DO NOT POST HERE: Application for Magical Races/Talents and Special Abilities
Hello, here !
Link to your encyclopedia thread: link
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Werwolf
Describe why this fits your character (not why you the player want it):
At the age of eight, in the month of July, Stella and Charles expressed a wish to spend a few weeks with their paternal grandparents: Albert and Charlotte Powell. The couple lived in the county of Nottinghamshire, on the edge of a seldom-visited wood, part of which was protected by a Muggle-repelling charm for added security. It was a timeless peaceful spot, especially in the summer. Stella loved the forest and the cottage. They often walked through the woods to gather mushrooms, some wild fruit and to watch the animals and insects. There was something soothing about this forest; it felt like home.

One night, when the moon was full, Stella couldn't sleep. A storm was brewing outside and heavy rain was pouring down on the cottage. It was midnight when she heard the mournful howl of a wolf. Stella immediately sat up, frightened, then concerned for the animal, which let out another, much longer howl. Was the animal injured? Without hesitation, she went outside with a lamp and wearing a yellow raincoat. The little girl didn't have to go far before she saw a pair of eyes watching her with caution and anger. Many would have turned back at this point, but it's good to know that Stella had almost no survival instincts and was determined not to leave this strange trapped wolf behind. In fact, one of her paws was caught in a bear trap. She knew this because she had seen her grandfather set it earlier that day.

"Why are you doing this?" she had asked.
"There's a creature lurking around here that eats our sheep," Albert had replied simply, but Stella knew he wasn't telling the whole truth because he was a terrible liar.

Was this the creature they were talking about? Perhaps. And maybe she should just leave it there, right? That's probably what she should do, but hearing it whimper like a wounded dog broke her heart. How could she resist? Stella put down her lamp and slowly approached the trap. Of course, the animal growled in her direction.

"Quiet now," she whispered. "I'm going to set you free!"

She slowly approached the wolf, intent on freeing him from the bear trap, not knowing that he would need more than his small hands to do so. But no matter, as she approached the strange wolf, he came to sink his fangs into her shin. From then on, everything was a blur. She remembered the sharp pain, the fangs sinking into her flesh, the scream that followed. Maybe she hit the creature with a log until it let go of her leg, she couldn't remember. In any case, Stella managed to get back to her grandparents' house thanks to the adrenaline that kept her awake. Her screams of pain woke up the house, and for Matthew, seeing his little sister in such a state was a horrifying sight: all that blood, that nasty, deep wound. There was little chance she would survive without immediate care.

She was rushed to St Mungo's and the treatments that followed were long and intense, but miraculously she survived the bite. After questioning the little girl and the few things she remembered about the strange wolf, the healers concluded that she had been bitten by a werewolf and that nothing could stop the transformation process.

"A werewolf here?" Victor wondered as he spoke privately to his parents, his face pale. Behind him, Camille held her daughter's hand tightly. "How is this possible?"
"It's your father," Charlotte replied between sobs. "He angered one of his... creatures, and ever since that monster has been making our lives miserable!"
"Excuse me!? And none of you thought it necessary to warn us? I entrusted you with two of my children!"
"He only attacked our sheep," Albert tried to defend himself in a grumbling tone. "And you should have taught your daughter not to approach wild animals; she should have been more vigilant."
"She's a child!" Victor replied. "She thought she was doing good by helping a suffering animal, when was she supposed to know it was a werewolf?"
"Victor, please..." his wife begged.

The wizard shook his head, both annoyed and concerned.

"What did you do to this man to make him want revenge?" Victor asked, although honestly he didn't want to know. He knew that his father wasn't a tolerant person and that he could be violent out of hatred for others and that's why his daughter had just paid the price. Albert didn't answer right away. He grumbled under his breath and avoided Victor's penetrating gaze. In the end, it was Charlotte who answered:
"You know him! He took part in several protests against his creatures, and one of them was there and began to act with zeal."
"Dad, please tell me you didn't hurt him?"
"Just a hit or two, but he didn't die! Look, now it's attacking my sheep!"
"And Stella! He bit Stella because of you!"
"Victor." Camille repeated. "There are more important things than finding someone to blame..."

With that he turned away from his parents and sat down beside Stella, who had fallen asleep. Many things would change, but he was determined to be there for his ray of sunshine. She would need her family more than ever.

[887/500]

What it changes for the character: I think it would enhance her adventurous side, her desire to explore her world and expand her environment. I don't see Stella withdrawing after the incident, quite the opposite. I want her to be a sociable puppy, a little eccentric at the edges, maybe a mother wolf when she gets older (protective, friendly, loyal). But yes, for now she's going to be a playful puppy, with a constant need to move herself, the type to chew a bit, to get into trouble, even when she's not looking for it! This would go hand in hand with her desire to make noise, to show that she has a right to exist.

IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A SPECIAL RACE OR TALENT:
Before :

stamina - 8
evasion - 6
strength - 4
wisdom - 6
arcane power - 5
and accuracy - 6

After :

stamina - 6
evasion - 5
strength - 4
wisdom - 5
arcane power - 5
and accuracy - 5
Thank you in advance and have a nice day :D

Hi Stella, a few notes on your app -
1. Your stat changes need to be modified, as you can't increase any stats when taking a special race. You can only decrease them.

2. We had a few concerns with the feasibility of the origin story. A bear trap is quite hard to open, needing special tools, and its unlikely a werewolf would remain docile long enough for Stella to free it. It also would be very hard for her to get away. But I have sent a suggestion over owl to tweak this story and make it work so please take a look!

3. Could we have a bit more explanation about the situation between the grandfather and the werewolf?

Last edited by Stella Powell on 3 Aug 2023, 08:07, edited 2 times in total.
24 Jul 2023, 04:45
ency link. here
race/talent that i'm applying for. dhampir/blood thrall
why this fits my character. 1436/500
Reducio
Late on a Sunday night, Arianne Hughes met a very mysterious man. She was instantly intrigued by him. He had incredibly pale skin and a piercing stare, and he had a manner of talking and a very charming smile that made Arianne blush. She felt compelled to know more about him, who he was, what kind of person he was like. He was captivating, and she was captivated. They were like magnets, and Arianne knew this was a mistake, but she didn’t care that much anyways.

Idris was the result.

Idris was the Hughes family’s best kept secret. No one had ever known she existed, and the people that did didn’t seem to care much about her, only when she threatened the family’s reputation. She was a mistake, an ink blotch on an otherwise perfectly blank paper, a misspelled word to be omitted.

Not only was she a bastard, of poor blood, and illegitimate, she was also part-vampire. The man, whose identity Arianne had never really figured out, had had vampire blood, and this meant his child would too. The Hughes were disgusted by her and her mother, but Arianne was protected. A half-breed, bumbling, vampire child, on the other hand? They couldn’t possibly be meant to raise her as one of their own.

Ashamed of her, they treated Idris much, much differently than they did their precious Imogen. Idris didn’t go outside or have many friends or talk to anyone, really. They could not possibly imagine others finding out that this monster was a part of the Hughes family. And she wasn’t. She never was, not according to them. They turned their heads away without a second thought, believing themselves to be heroes for still keeping her around just for the sake of Arianne’s own warped version of pity and guilt.

Idris didn't understand why her parents treated her the way they did, because weren’t she and Imogen the same? Why was what Imogen spent all day in her (much larger) room doing, whatever it was she did up there, so much more important to them? And whenever she tried to talk to Imogen about this, Imogen would always giggle at her in her own, snide little way.

Idris had a half-sister that she’d adored. Imogen. Idris was only a child when she first met her cool, aloof older sister, and she was instantly attached to her. Imogen didn’t quite return Idris’ feelings. She was disgusted by the little dhampir that kept following her around. Idris and Imogen never talked; Idris just trailed behind Imogen. They’d only ever interacted a few times, all of which Imogen was especially mean. It made Idris feel like she’d never hated a person more, and she began to realize Imogen wasn’t who she thought she was. Imogen was cruel, mean, and scathing, and worshiped the ground her parents walked on.

She hated Imogen so, so much. More than she did the stupid family and the stupid way they treated their daughter. She didn’t know why Imogen couldn’t understand that their parents’ opinion of Idris was wrong. Idris was a child, after all, what could she have possibly done to them? And they were sisters. Half-sisters, sure, but still, sisters were supposed to share a bond like no other. The way Imogen never, ever stepped in when Idris was being told off, and even made fun of her at times, made Idris furious. She knew that one day, she’d have her revenge, and Imogen would regret that she’d ever laughed in her sister’s face.

Idris ran away the minute she’d become of age. She was never very good at magic, so she decided to live among Muggles. No one knew who or what she was, and the Hughes would never think to search for her there. She wasn’t even sure they’d search for her in the first place, to be honest.

Even though Idris had left the Hughes household, she still wanted to keep an eye on them, because she knew they’d get what was coming eventually. She watched when Imogen had been arranged to marry another upper-class, snotty pureblood named Theodore Prescott. She watched when Arianne and her husband died of old age and left everything in her will to her daughter—the normal one. She watched when Imogen gave birth to her first child, the heir, a small, bratty boy named Alexander. She saw it all.

Idris had been watching the Prescott manor like a hawk. No one ever seemed to go in or out. Everything was quiet and eerie. All Idris could hear was the squawking of birds and the rustling of leaves. Nothing of a child’s loud chattering or conversation between friends. She couldn’t believe it. It was like the children never went outside. Weren’t they ever, like, sunlight-deprived or something?

But finally, she saw it. The creaking of a back door as a small girl slipped outside. Idris almost burst out laughing. All of Imogen’s features were obvious on her; she could see it. It was like someone had copy-pasted her sister’s face onto this child. Imogen probably loved her, adored her even.

After Alexander, Imogen had two more daughters. Idris didn’t really know their names, or what they were like, or really anything at all about them, but she knew they existed, and she knew they were essential to this plan of hers. She wanted Imogen to feel some kind of twisted empathy, and realize how horrific the way Imogen had treated Idris was. She wanted sisters to turn against each other, insults to be traded and fights to be had. She wanted them to realize that a sisters’ bond was actually the weakest, and how easily it could break.

She wanted Imogen to understand how it felt to hate someone you loved, just like she had. She wanted revenge on Imogen for the way Imogen treated her. She wanted Imogen to realize what it feels like when someone you adored dearly becomes something you'd always hated, and how impossible Idris' situation was when she was living in the Hughes household. And what she wanted most, so, so desperately, is for Imogen to regret ever mocking her.

What Idris never realized was that Imogen never loved her daughters the same way Idris had loved her sister. It would never be the same.

Idris was overcome with so much hate and resentment in that moment that she didn’t think. Filled with the urge for revenge and the need to see Imogen get what she deserved, she didn’t stop herself. She was never very good at controlling her emotions, and usually they’d get the best of her. So she did what she thought was justice.

Catriona didn’t like it when she got angry. Everything felt entirely too real, and she didn’t like having to confront her own feelings. Even at ten years old, she already knew she was entirely too much when she got emotional, and it couldn’t get in the way of things. So she had a system. Whenever she started to feel too much for her own tastes, she’d sit by the beach and watch the waves until they calmed her down. The ocean had always had a calming effect on her.

Especially after this. She and her parents had always been touchy over the subject of her future, but now with the looming expectations of Hogwarts, everyone seemed pressed to remind her that all she was good for was wearing a frumpy white dress and walking down an aisle. This had been a particularly nasty fight, and she needed to breathe properly before her anger boiled over.

Until something caught her eye. Their section of the beach was lined with tall, leafy greens that lined the edge of the house, perfect for hiding in, and she felt very … strange, as if someone was watching her. Squinting, she scanned the plants for any sort of abnormal shapes or colors, but whoever it was seemed to have hidden well. She supposed she was just psyching herself out, and decided to keep to the trail instead of playing tricks on herself.

This was when it got blurry. She took a few steps, then heard a rustling noise. Tensing up, she prepared herself to turn out and confront the perpetrator until pain exploded from every part of her body. It was excruciating and red-hot, and she felt as if she were burning up from the inside. Catriona opened her mouth to scream, and then everything went black.

After that, Catriona stopped smiling with her teeth.
new stats. sta 5 eva 8 str 2 wis 5 arc 1 acc 9
Hi Catriona, your app is very creative and well-written - but it needs some edits to be in-line with the Hogwarts.IO site rating. Please see owl for more explanation, but the portrayal of abuse is too far for what is allowed to be portrayed on-site.
Thank you for your edits! But I've noticed that your stats need tweaking as well. At the moment, you have some stats that are increasing from your previous stats. When choosing new stats you can only decrease the stat values, not increase any. Can you edit that so none of the stat values are increasing? Then I can approve your app
Last edited by Catriona Prescott on 14 Aug 2023, 21:50, edited 3 times in total.

in the wake of a hurricane / dark skin of a summer shade
25 Jul 2023, 02:28
Link to your encyclopedia thread: Here
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Comprehend Languages (Gobbledygook)
Describe why this fits your character (not why you the player want it): (924 words without the letter.)
Reducio
The Year 6 boy decided he would spend his summer in his room either cleaning it up or just sulking- but he would also be reading the books left on his desk. He hated that he had to pull a humiliating prank on his brother AND get grounded for it. Like- what did his parents want him to be? Amused or mad? Or was he supposed to be 'well rounded?'

Octavius brushed his hair off to the side and sat up, looking through the stack of books from his desk. And his eyes finally tracked the title that sounded like it was the best for the particular moment. It was like- when you want something particular for dinner, but not something that sounds good to other people. That was how Octavius was feeling in that particular moment.

It was the book of Gobbledygook. His father asked for the Gobbledygook alphabet from one of the goblins at Gringotts when he was a first year, but he never found time nor the interest to even read it nor study how to read it.

But now, seeing as how he was grounded, he might as well put in the effort to try and read something that was foreign to him. He thought it was odd how the capitalized words were just the same as the regular 26 letters of the alphabet in English. But it wasn't the same when it was lowercase letters.

Someone was playing a trick on him! But then again, if this truly were the alphabet, maybe it would be easy to understand gobbledygook. It was kind of like gibberish, wasn't it?

He attempted to place the letters together and create some words. A few minutes later, he jotted down in the blank pages of the book the words in gobbledygook. Now, he was going to take it to his father to write down words in gobbledygook for Octavius to study. But before he did so, he would write down every single letter on a separate piece of paper. Now he was ready to let his father write down every single word that he could. But he had a prompt for his father. Write a letter addressed to Octavius regarding anything.

"Hey dad." He said, walking out of his room.

His father replied with "And you're grounded. What are you doing?"

Octavius couldn't help but speak meekly. "Sorry dad. Can you write me a letter in Gobbledygook?"

The father nodded, taking the book from his son and taking the quill predipped with ink. "Go back to your room, I'll give this to you once I'm done." And Octavius obliged.

Two hours of complete boredom sitting in his room with nothing to do but read the alphabet. And then he heard knocking. "Can I come in?" The father said, and Octavius replied with a quiet yes.

"I got your letter. Now, I have no idea what I had put down seeing as it took me two hours to write a page for you to work on. It's only a paragraph or so, but maybe you can solve it. I trust in you son."
Ocsoqeik,

I'k kurrae sros aeui'ra sruimdad, bis aeui dmuv bassar srom su rikereosa kukauma. Yui'ra 16 kur sudk koda. Is ek os srek vuems sros kuks vauvra kosira. I roqa koesr sros aeui ora covobra uk kosirems. Praoka raorm kruk aeuir ocseumk omd du bassar. I ruqa aeui, omd aeui dmuv aeuir kusrar ruqak aeui suu. Dum's soda es ok ek va ora kod ur omsrae os aeui em omae voae, krova ur kurk.

Praoka imdarksomd.
Reducio
Octavius,

I'm sorry that you're grounded, but you know better than to humiliate someone. You're 16 for gods sake. It is at this point that most people mature. I have faith that you are capable of maturing. Please learn from your actions and do better. I love you, and you know your mother loves you too. Don't take it as if we are mad or angry at you in any way, shape or form.

Please understand.

Octavius groaned and felt the need to squint his eyes. Great. A page of gibberish and two hours of studying the alphabet. But then it clicked, he could individually study each sentence!

The first one started with a capital "O" which meant that the word started with an O. Each individual letter seemed to be an odd way of spelling his name, but he took it was his name. Look! He knew how to read his own name in another language!

Now to read the first sentence. "I'k kurrae sros aeui'ra sruimdad, bis aeui dmuv bassar srom su rikereosa kukauma." Was this just the gobbledygook way of calling him a dummy? The first three words said "I'm sorry that" but that was all Octavius could read as of that moment without feeling the need to continue and read and try to go without glancing at the alphabet cheat sheet.

"You're. That's a little obvious wasn't it? grounded." He said, now going into the 'what the hell' in disbelief that anyone could actually show compassion for grounding someone. He always thought it was some diabolical plan every parent had. Guess he was wrong.

He continued. "bis aeui dmuv bassar." He read off the paper. Now he was feeling like he was taunted. This language was so confusing. He tried to remember off the top of his head what each letter was if it wasn't capitalized.

"But you know better." He said, trying to reassure himself, when it clicked. The translation to the gibberish he just smoke was what he just said. "But you know better."

Okay, now to move on. 'srom su rikereosa kukauma.'

"Than-" He started- and remembered that the 't' from the previous word srom was an s, so using his excellent skills of observation, he figured out the second word. Than to. Rikereosa sounded a bit like humiliate just with a different terminology- kind of like riddikulus for the boggart banishing spell. So that word must be humiliate. Now the last word of that sentence was 'someone.'

The boy must be gaining intelligence quickly- or just refusing to admit that he had a possibility he could've been wrong. He decided to spend all night working on translating the letter, when in the morning his father found him facefirst on his desk with a puddle of drool next to his translated letter.

The father smiled, the boy got the translation right.

Gobbledygook Alphabet
Reducio
Ao Bb Cc Dd Ea Fk Gs Hr Ie Ji Kd Lr Mk Nm Ou Pv Qp Rr Sk Ts Ui Vq Wv Xx Yae Zz

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

Just watch me. I'm going to be the shooting star that rains down sparkles. Do I know where this saying is from, no.
25 Jul 2023, 22:16
Link to your encyclopedia thread: Accio
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Spell Spread
Describe why this fits your character (not why you the player want it): Word Count: 511/400

Determination to be better than 'those' students was evident in his constant struggle to improve his spellwork. It wasn't but a year or so ago that he was dismissed from the dueling team of his own house for attacking his own teammate. If they hadn't forced him to be placed on a 'team', maybe, he wouldn't have lashed out at the individual.

With his dismissal being so long ago though, there was still a slight chance that he'd be allowed back eventually and if the teen wanted to make sure they knew they had totally screwed up for letting him go in the first place, some things would need to be mastered. It was the charms classroom where he practiced most of his magic, Constant hours of repetition and study allowed him to study more advanced spells in the subject, but it wasn't necessarily spells to be what he needed now.

It was tricks, advanced ones, and it was that mindset that pushed him into what he saw a few upperclassmen specialize in. The ability to split your own spell for different targets, before he even had tried to attempt such a feat though, he'd have to do his due diligence in research on the subject. For this reason, he went to spectate any upperclassman duels that he could, watching their technique in the subject matter.

For weeks this would be his goal, determination, spite... Although he had strong emotions on the subject, the teen knew how to close his mind to such distractions when it was required to do so. Learning such feats' was no easy task after all, any mishap would cause a spell to reflect upon himself and he's felt the sting of his own spells one too many times.

Two objects were placed two meters apart from each other. Target dummies, useful things that were easily repaired if he required them to be so. This was to be how he'd train for what he wanted to accomplish for the next few weeks. The boy was an advanced spellcaster, it came very naturally to him, and it wouldn't be long until the first shimmer of a split spell came. A streak of red seemed to arc out from his original disarming charm, Expelliarmus, towards the second dummy.

A smirk formed across his face as his partner in life, the ivory-white aspen wood wand finished the required movements of the spell and added its additional effect throughout his mind. It was more mental than physical, he noted, just like nonverbal casting. It was the intent that mattered the most, he learned years ago, that drove magic to its perfect nature.

With that feeling, thought, and notion in mind, he practiced further into what he deemed necessary to accomplish his task. Maybe it was inherent skill or pure determination that led him to accomplish this feat, but, once he got the hang of it there was no stopping his ability to spread his spell to different targets with a whip of his ivory-white wand through the air. Zykeal just smiled.

Sta: 7 | Eva: 2 | Str: 8 | Wis: 11 | Arc: 10 | Acc: 17
Prodigal Charms | Advanced Casting | Spell Spread
28 Jul 2023, 22:19
Link to your encyclopedia thread: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=5846#p99200
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Non-verbal Magic
Reducio
A whole year of practising wandless magic (well, of course, she started even earlier, but nothing was successful until she realised why, and she was already in her fifth year) sparkled a few interesting insights about her way of thinking about things. The concept of magic was chaotic, illogical, sometimes making no sense or proving to be absolutely idiotic. The wand movements — yes, good for studying, the words — completely useless if you know the intention very well.

So it was actually easier to comprehend the essence of the non-verbal magic after mastering the wandless casting for more than the half of the spells she knew. Wandless was a skill, it had to be mastered, it was rare, and she considered it a challenge. Non-verbal was... a must-have. You just needed to go and take it, put a little effort, practise here and there and voilà — the completely unnecessary time-consuming routine was gone, leaving you way more powerful before any danger or unwanted encounter.

No wand waving gave you advantage in terms of unexpectedness, but words always gave away your plans, making it easier for the opponent to react, to get ready and eventually to bring all your efforts to zero, be it wandless or not.

A handicap, Meenauh considered it — a handicap to get rid of immediately. Only after she was pondering over it, why she was so immersed in practising wandless magic rather than starting with way simpler and easier non-verbal magic. The answer is simple: idiocy. Sometimes her brain was playing a very evil joke on her by making simple things complex, easy things more difficult, etc. But afterwards she often gave excuses to herself that it was easier the other way around, so she took the difficult path, because... erm... because, let's say, non-verbal magic would be even easier to study once you master the wandlessness. Yes, that'll do, she often said to her arguing and sighing voices in defence of her underestimated stupidity.

Day after day, night after night, she practised... That was the passage about the wandless magic. So, non-verbal wasn't that much of a priority after all, as she was more engaged in all the studying for her OWLs, which had very real deadlines. So every third night was dedicated to the non-verbal magic.

The core of it was to cast Mimblewimble on herself to make sure the brain won't dictate her mouth to speak the words, because it's used to speaking them. With her mouth shut, she was still mumbling something every time she tried to cast it and most times it was a pathetic to look at. The bland weak lights shooting off her wand (yes, she wasn't that stupid to try it wandless right away) while she was occasionally mooing "Wingardium Leviosa" or something. But eventually the brain let it though. Every time something was happening for the first time, she had this eureka moment when she stopped breathing for a second and a bubble of vacuum was appearing instantly in her chest and then slowly dissipating into a warm and pleasant feeling of victorious accomplishment.

But the greater surprise was the synergy. The fact that she mastered both brought her unexpected benefits of power she NEVER EVEN DREAMT OF. She strived for efficiency, she strived for speed, but she couldn't even think of (and it was never ever described anywhere in the literature she was reading) that it was possible to cast just by... thinking. She needed no wand, no word, no gesture. The wild thought came up to her randomly, it wasn't even a thought, it was just a moment of void thinking — she was looking into those apples on the tables, readying to levitate them non-verbally and wandlessly, but she was already kind of tired, so she forgot to wave with her hands. Nonetheless, the apples gently rose and stayed there. Meenauh was blinking randomly for a few seconds without actually realising that until her eyes widened like galleons and the rush of blood streamed to her head, breaking every thin connection to concentration she had. The apples fell (he-he, this whole paragraph sounded as if I'm writing my first instance of accidental magic), but so did Meenauh, fortunately into an armchair behind her.

The world of possibilities was expanding so fast and not really fitting whatever memory palace Meenauh had in her head, the operating system was failing, Meenauh was trying to breathe and fit the reality once again into its legal boundaries.

"Wingardium... Leviosa?" a voice just spoke in her head while Meenauh was eyeing an apple rolling away from her on the floor.

And it slowly stopped and floated up.

Now she had a world to conquer.

WC: 787
Code: (put after Wandless Magic)

Code: Select all

‣ [url=https://hogwarts.io/viewtopic.php?p=752930#p752930]Non-verbal Magic[/url] • [i]I need neither gesture, nor incantation to cast spells.[/i]

Meenauh Silmataurea | STA: 7 | EVA: 9 | STR: 2 | WIS: 20 | ARC: 10 | ACC: 11 |
29 Jul 2023, 19:03
Link to your encyclopedia thread: Caradoc Browne
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Non-Verbal magic
Reducio
Caradoc sat hunched over a table inside the library. Behind him, by another table, his brother sat yawning, sheepishly watching the time tick away. An endless stream of the same incantation kept rolling in Doc's mind. He was trying to cast a spell without uttering any words. This had filled the air between them with a deafening silence for hours now. Caduceus sighed and leaned back on his chair. Caradoc could see his brother's head enter his peripheral.

"So... are you nearly done?" Cad asked with a clear hint of annoyance draped around his words. Caradoc did not offer any sign of acknowledgement. Instead, the young Hufflepuff kept on repeating the same incantation over and over again. He could feel his brother's anger filling the room. Oh, how he hated being ignored. But Doc did not care one bit. Cad was an annoying little brother, a nuisance whenever he could be. Why he had even agreed to do a study session together in the library, was beyond his own logic reasoning. He should have sent his brother off hanging out with the herbology mates he hangs around with usually anyway.

"You can go if you don't like it, Cad. I'm not stopping you." He informed his brother coldly. This had Cad jolt up from his seat, fists balled up and a face red in anger. "I don't know why I even bother hanging out with you!" Sounded the reply. And with one fell swing, he managed to reach out and rip the page in front of Caradoc in half. Who just rolled his eyes and looked the other way. A shushing hiss came from the other side of the room, where they both noticed the librarian standing, wiggling their finger around. Without another word from either of them, Cad stormed off, leaving Doc to himself.

Silently, Caradoc picked up half the page from the ground and placed it on the place it belonged. After months of practice, and today after hours of work, he had finally figured it out. He had silently succeeded mere moments before Caduceus started losing his temper. He just decided to remain focused and make sure he'd be able to do it again. Rather than get lucky once. With not a single word uttered, he flicked his wand and witnessed the page mending itself. The rush of excitement coursed through his skin.

"YES!" He yelled out to the sky, both fists in the air.

"Mister Browne! I don't want to see you or your sibling in my library for the rest of this weekend. Leave at once!" Caradoc wasted not one second suffering the librarian's wrathful gaze and ran out with all his belongings.

Word Count: 448

If you're reading this... You're awesome.
Calming Presence/Healing Sage/Wandless/Non-Verbal

STA - 16 | EVA - 6 | STR - 15 | WIS - 16 | ARC - 8 | ACC - 4
30 Jul 2023, 07:54
Link to your encyclopedia thread: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=28134
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Metamorphmagus
Describe why this fits your character (not why you the player want it): Delainie Silverwing is a half-blood, which means she has a muggle father, a wizard mother, and an older sister who would then be a squib. Lately, all of the women in the Silverwing family are all metamorphmagus, starting all the way back at Delainie’s great grandmother, to her grandmother, then to her mother, and now to Delainie. All of her fathers side were muggles, or like Delainie’s sister, squibs, therefore, were obviously not metamorphmagus. Delainie has showed some small signs since she was very very little, such as only four years old, that she was a metamorphmagus. She has been able to do little things such as being able to change her eye color slightly for a few seconds or things like adding a few small centimeters to her height but only for a minute. As Delainie started to get older, as in around the ages of six or seven, she had decided that she wanted to learn to shapeshift even better. She tried to do some more advanced things like change two things at once, such as make her hair black and her eyes brown, this was very difficult for her, so she kept working on it, trying her best to be better. Slowly, as she got older, Delainie was able to shapeshift for longer periods of time and try to morph different parts of her body. Delainie had practiced and practiced shapeshifting to try to master it. Since she was very little when she had first discovered that she was able to shapeshift, Delainie did not know about magic and / or wizards. By the age of ten, Delainie was able to shapeshift with a lot more ease, with things like her eyes color and hair length. Delainie had done all that she could to learn to shapeshift, since all of the women in her family were, she didn’t want to let them down, but she still had people to help and guide her. Delainie Silverwing has always been super happy with her talent of shapeshifting! It has made her feel special, not everybody you meet is a wizard, and not every wizard you meet is a metamorphmagus. During her time at Hogwarts, Delainie has mostly tried to refraine from shapeshifting, and has only done it about one or two times total. Her favorite thing to do for shapeshifting is to change her eye color or her hair color. When Delainie feels too many emotions at once, she sometimes might start to morph a little bit, mostly she grows a few inches, sometimes Delainie's eyes just start to flicker different colors. Delainie is usually pretty calm and can keep her temper so her emotions don't usually go crazy. She is usually unaware if she changes while angry or overwhelmed, Delainie can also change by accident when she feels very happy, she mostly is aware if she morphs because of that, and changes back very quickly. Delainie has never felt ashamed or embarrassed about being able to morph, she has actually always loved the fact that she can change and shapeshift.
WORD COUNT 512 /500
IF YOU ARE APPLYING FOR A SPECIAL RACE OR TALENT:
Stats:
Stamina-5
Evasion-5
Strength-6
Wisdom-5
Arcane Power-5
Accuracy-4
1) Your application actually doesn't have 500 words. When removing symbols like / or ) that stand on their own, your application does not meed the requirements.
2) You list a number of special races and talents that Delainie has in her family, but you need to keep in mind here, that part-veela for example is nothing that skips generations like parselmouth. If you want to build in special races that don't skip generations, I will need some more detail how this was passed on and what that makes Delainie. If her grandmother was 1/2 veela for example, Delainie is a 1/8 veela and cannot be a metamorphmagus.
3) "Can change their appearance at will. They can make themselves physically unrecognizable, however they are not skilled enough to mimic the appearance of another person." This is the description for first year metamorphmagi. Delainie can't shapeshift to resemble her sisters, please delete that part.
Your application is not 500 words long.
Last edited by Delainie Silverwing on 6 Aug 2023, 20:26, edited 4 times in total.

Moods and More!
“You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think”
2 Aug 2023, 13:40
Link to your encyclopedia thread: here!
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: Part-Veela
Reducio
In September of 2011, a heavily pregnant Elizabeth Flores travelled to France via Floo in a panic, accompanied by her brother and parents. She’d just gotten news that her grandmother, Adrianne Flores, had died in her sleep of old age, and they had come to pay their respects at the funeral. Adrianne and Liz had been exceptionally close, and it was safe to say that her death left a lasting impact on her life. Although it was perhaps not wise to travel at a time where her sixth child was due so soon, nothing could have barred Liz from attending the funeral. She left her other children in Brighton with her husband, unable to think of anything other than her grandmother.

When the funeral was over, Liz apparated away, telling her brother that she was just going to clear her head and requesting to be left alone, and ended up in a small, remote village in Brittany, the place where Adrianne had grown up. Liz wandered the village aimlessly for an hour or so, lost in her thoughts and her grief.

She was just planning on returning when she unexpectedly went into labour. Although her due date had been relatively soon, Liz had not thought of the possibility of giving birth in France. Concerned locals rushed her to the nearest hospital, where she ended up giving birth there, scared and without any of her family. It was a relatively easy delivery but she was nonetheless exhausted, thanks to her incredibly emotionally draining day, and hence allowed the nurses to take her newborn daughter to the newborn nursery so she herself could get some rest.

In the room next to her, another woman had given birth to her own baby, also a girl, at the same time – Vienna, a Veela who had died in childbirth. Having fallen in love with a witty pureblood wizard named Gabriel Clement, the pair had been married for a year before he passed away in a sailing accident a month ago, leaving her heartbroken. Vienna had pondered how she was going to raise a child all on her own, but now she never would never face that challenge. Despite the difficulty of the delivery, the child, a half-Veela, was healthy, and the nurses took her to the nursery as well.

It was here that things became confusing. The nurses changed shifts, and the paperwork for Liz and Vienna’s children were mixed up. The hospital was small and inexperienced, having only very recently been converted from an abandoned convent, and the remoteness of the village meant that it was rarely pulled up for their unreliability. The two babies looked incredibly similar and both had blue eyes and blonde hair, and with Liz and Vienna both being unable to affirm the identities of their daughters, the consequences of this was that they were accidentally swapped at birth.

Liz was shortly located by her brother and brought home with the part-Veela baby, who she believed was her own and christened ‘Ayla’. This means that Ayla Flores is not a Flores at all, but a French half-Veela. So far, this has gone unnoticed, and hence she has grown up believing she is a pureblood.

Old stats (35)
sta 6 ‎ ⋆ ‎ eva 6 ‎ ⋆ ‎ str 4 ‎ ⋆ ‎ wis 8 ‎ ⋆ ‎ arc 4 ‎ ⋆ ‎ acc 7
New stats (30)
sta 5 ‎ ⋆ ‎ eva 5 ‎ ⋆ ‎ str 4 ‎ ⋆ ‎ wis 7 ‎ ⋆ ‎ arc 3 ‎ ⋆ ‎ acc 6

the world is cruel, therefore i won't be.
4 Aug 2023, 00:08
Link to your encyclopedia thread: https://www.hogwarts.io/viewtopic.php?f ... 43#p143452
Name of Ability that you Are Applying for: Lovely Creature
Describe why this fits your character (not why you the player want it): WC: 430
Reducio
Aaron Jones' fourth year did not go exactly how he expected it to. It started out with his usual training - running most days and doing the trick riding he had gotten into the last couple years. It was mainly for fun, and with the support of his girlfriend he'd pushed himself into creating some really cool acts. But then his winter break took quite a turn, and the working out and the training and the trick riding were no longer just for fun. They turned into an escape from the pain, the guilt and the trauma. He no longer had a girlfriend or a home, and it felt like he'd lost his family.

Working out became a way to take his mind off all those pesky emotions. All he had to think about was how many reps he had left to do, and if he could do one more pullup than yesterday. Could he run a kilometer more this week than last? And then came the weight lifting too, since he had seen the budding muscles in the mirror and wanted more. Aaron already had the discipline of an athlete before he entered Hogwarts, having been in taekwondo for years. And becoming a quidditch player in second year meant that discipline continued on into his magical sport pursuits. Trick riding was no different, and in fact he thought it required more strength than broom racing and Quidditch. He had to rely more on his own strength than the magic those sports were built off of.

The Hufflepuff was also going through an uncomfortable growth spurt, and the growing pains were getting to him. A way to ignore those too? More working out and blaming the pain on his building muscles. He looked in the mirror more than once, and saw the changes happening in him. He was getting taller, his shoulders were broader, and his arms were bulking up a bit. He was only fifteen, but puberty was being incredibly kind to him. There was no acne, just a sheen of sweat from a good workout.

His transformation felt complete when he finally decided to chop his hair. He had been letting it grow long in fourth year, but as the summer came around the corner, he decided to go for a new haircut that was shorter and complimented him more. He was gaining confidence in his looks, especially given the girls that he had started to enjoy the attention of. He was getting cocky, but maybe it was justified, because he really was becoming a sight for sore eyes.
6 Aug 2023, 02:55
Link to your encyclopedia thread: viewtopic.php?f=169&t=22077
Name of Ability or Race/Talent that you Are Applying for: The Muggle Condition
Reducio

While quite ordinary in many regards, Finnegan had always had a knack for sports, and one sport in particular: football. His agile feet and nimble moves made him good striker and whenever the ball was at his feet, he knew how to hit his right. Right from an early age, Finnegan placed his heart and soul into bettering himself, using his nimbleness, strategic insight, and relentless fervor to give his best every time he stepped onto the field. Over the years, this commitment grew into a profound aptitude for the game, making him stand out among his peers.

Finnegan lived in a lively suburb, where football acted as a unifying thread across all ages and backgrounds. A competitive spirit nurtured by friendly community matches, and an undying enthusiasm for the sport encouraged him to keep going, keep improving. He spent countless hours in the local parks, playing games of football with friends and neighbors and these early experiences were instrumental in sharpening his skills. The varying degrees of talent in his playmates, the unpredictable element of the rough terrain, and the constraints of a suburban setup - taught him not only the sport but also the subtleties of teamwork, improvisation, and resilience.

His quick feet, combined with the uncanny accuracy to pass, became the talking point of seasoned spectators and envious opponents. Somehow, he had found a way to read the game and predict the opponent's next move before they even knew it themselves. How else could he put the ball precisely where no one could intercept it?

From the moment he joined the Quidditch team, Finnegan was able to transform these skills to the beloved wizard's sport. As a chaser, he required every bit as much agility and accuracy. The way he navigates the sky on his broom is underpinned by the same skills he learned an outdoorsy muggle.

His ability to slot the Quaffle through the hoops was is directly tied to his passing skill. Perhaps more importantly, he carried over the same passion, determination, and insight from the soccer field into Quidditch. If they had been allowed to attend, his spectators from the streets would recognize the same Finnegan in the air as the one they had cheered on in the neighborhood.

Little Finnegan Conner taking to the streets each day from the moment he could swing his legs hard enough to kick a ball rarely missed a shot. What he lacked in academic skill, he made up for in athletics. The same keen eye that allowed him to gauge a pass or foresee an opponent's strategy in football translated into equally good performance in every other sport that required a keen aim. While his accuracy has improved with each game, each sport he has played, the real reason for his growth was that his spirit remained undeterred, his passion for sports unwavering, and his eagerness to improve never doused. Perhaps that's why, no matter the sport, Finnegan always brought a sharpness of mind and aim alike to every game.

WC: 502

DMs/Owls are open. Not available for new threads at this time.