Register
Sign in

9 Jun 2023, 19:12
Haruka Hayashi  Mahoutokoro 

Haruka Hayashi
(林春花)

Second year, Mahoutokoro
Status. Pureblood
Appearance. At 165cm, Haruka is easily one of the taller students in her year. She has long black hair with bangs at the front, a round (but not chubby) face, and oval-shaped brown eyes. Haruka has a rather simple but fashionable style.
Personality.
Reducio
Being an ISTJ, Haruka is mostly found composed, independant, decisive, and practical. She has a great respect for culture and ettiquite, and is very observant to the things around her. However, she can also be overly competitive and honest, stubborn, and quick to blame people, whether it is herself or others. Haruka believes in speaking the truth, no matter how harsh it may be, which leads to people thinking she is insensitive. She prefers to spend her time with a very close group of friends, and it doesn't matter much to her if she is popular or not; to Haruka, what matters most is getting results from the effort she puts into her work. Although Haruka is usually quiet and calm, if someone offends her or insults, her, she will lash out and end up doing things that could get her in trouble. To rivals and enemies, she is passive agressive, sarcastic, and cold.
History.
Reducio
Haruka was born and raised in Osaka as the only child of pureblood Misaki and Kei Hayashi. Her parents had both went to Mahoutokoro as children, and that was what they planned for Haruka as well. When she was at a proper age to do so, her parents held her to a rigorous schedule; she studied foreign languages (English, Chinese, and a little bit of Korean), figure skating, karate, and piano. Haruka went to a private elementary school, where other children of wizards and witches went to study. Because she was often busy with her schoolwork and extracurriculars, she didn't have much time to join the other kids in playing or socializing, and was often compared to a lone wolf with no pack. Although it was lonely sometimes, she was often glad she didn't have anything to do with the complicated drama going on with the others. During her elementary years, Haruka made a few good friends at school, all with the same interests and values. Although she is sometimes awkward and stiff in the company of new people, she usually warms up and lets down her guard with close friends.
Haruka's first instance of magic earned her a rival.
She was simply minding her own business, doing work in a classroom during recess time. Suddenly, the door opened, and the schools most quote unquote 'popular' girl, Hikari, walked in. Haruka rolled her eyes and turned her focus back to her paper. If she didn't bother them, they wouldn't bother her.
"There's the lone wolf again," Hikari said. "Hey, Ruka, don't you ever get tired of sitting in the corner and not talking?"
"No, Hikari." No one ever called her Ruka, and anyone who tried would get a kick in the face.
"Is that so? You could have some fun with us, you know. We think you're kinda cool. Look at your grades, they're almost as good as mine. It's hard to find someone like that."
That was not true, not in the slightest. If Hikari was getting 7/10's, Haruka was getting full points.
"Check your gradebook before you talk, Hikari," she responded flatly, not looking up.
"I don't like this attitude," Hikari observed. "Don't talk to me like that, Ruka~"
Hikari's entitled voice was pissing Haruka off a lot, especially because of the nicknames. She stood up.
"What do you want, Hikari?" Hikari and Haruka were around the same height, so it was rather easy to stare her directly in the eyes.
"Admit you're dumb."
Thinking back, it was a petty little conflict over who was more smart. What was the worst two ten-year-olds could do? But for past-Haruka, it was her dignity and her pride. And for past-Hikari, it was also her dignity and pride.
"No," she said simply. "But I think, if we just... she walked over to the teachers desk and rummaged for a moment. I think your gradebook can prove I'm better. Come on, who even taught you maths? Your mother?" She flipped to a page. Hikari's test paper, completely marked in red X's, was stapled onto it. Attached to the top was a note that read, very poor. come see me after class.
She knew she had hit a weak spot. That very day, after the results had come out, Hikari had taken one look at the paper and fled. Plus the insulting her mother part. In Haruka's defense, it was true. Hikari's mother... was not the brightest.
In a split second, the other girl's fist flew at her face at alarming speed. She had forgotten Hikari also took martial arts. It was as if time had slowed down. Haruka noticed the decorative ring on her index finger, and realized one hit from that could probably leave a cut and a bruise on her face. Without thinking, she held up her hand to sheild herself, and braced for impact.
But nothing came. Then a scream broke the silence. Blood dripped down Hikari's hand at the places where her own hand would have bled. It was as if, for a second, the ring had flew to Haruka's hand, and cut its owner instead.
Both girls got into trouble after that, and both refused to talk ever again, but what was most important was that Haruka had gotten her first instance of magic and could go to Mahoutokoro after graduation from her elementary school.
Is your character a Broom Racer? No
Is your character a Quidditch Player? No
Is your character a Duelist? Yes
Stats. Sta 7| Eva 7| Str 5 | Wis 7| Arc 8| Acc 8
Abilities.
Impartial (Y1) (403/400)
Reducio
Looks had never been important for Haruka. Don't get her wrong, it's not that she's completely careless about her looks, but it had never been number one deciding factor for her.
It all started with her being too busy to care about looks of others. She would hurry down the hall at her school, not sparing a glance for whoever was the hot item this week. She didn't know, anyways.
"Haruka!" Her friend Ayako called to her. "Did you see that?" she asked excitedly. "Asahi just winked at me!!"
"Hmm?" Haruka looked to her friend. "Who?"
"Didn't you see?" Ayako stopped and whirled around, leaning closer to whisper. "That guy. Isn't he so cool?"
Haruka didn't see what was 'cool' about the boy. Asahi was just the regular Japanese half-blood student, and she didn't see why so many girls always mooned over him. His grades were average, and he wasn't even on any sports teams to make up for it.
"Oh.. I guess so? You like him?"
"Oh, yes. Do you think he notices me?"
Haruka furrowed her brow. So this was a... crush?
"Why do you like him?" she decided to ask, not answering her question.
"Hello? Aren't you blind? He looks like a movie star!" Ayako looked at Haruka as if she was crazy. "Who wouldn't like him? Oh! He's walking our way, quick, look unsuspicious!"
Haruka, already facing the opposite way, couldn't help but smother a giggle at Ayako's shallowness. Why would someone like another just because of their looks? She had known plenty of people who looked good but were completely the opposite inside.
It had also been part of her upbringing, in a way. Haruka had learnt many things about the magical and muggle world, and the fact that poisonous things had the brightest and prettiest colors intruiged her. She figured it was like this 'universal principle' that good-looking didn't necessarily mean good, and she stuck hard to this belief when she got into the age where everyone was getting crushes, which earned her a few side eyes and funny looks when she treated so-and-so indiferently.
It was as if Haruka was blind to looks, in a way. What she noticed first about a person wasn't their fashion sense, height, or any of that sort. Instead, it was more of their quirks, the way they held themselves, and their small habits that she seemed to notice and observe.

Statistical Relevance for Arcane Power (Y2) (540/400)
Reducio
From a very young age, Haruka had been trained in sports that had required both power and grace.
Take figure skating, for example. The double axel was her favorite jump by far, even though it was unpopular with most people at her rink, since they weren't used to the foreward takeoff. And to be honest, it was hard. Haruka's coach had told her that it required a lot of guts, strength, and elegance to pull off the jump well, and she was determined to make it happen, which it did, in time. When taking her skating exam for that level, all of the judges grading her had commented on how strong but elegant her double axel was.
It was the same with karate; she had learnt how to make very hard and strong moves seem flowing and effortless through hours of training, and she entered Mahoutokoro with the same intent: to learn very hard spells and perform them as if it were nothing.
Quickly, she found that it wasn't as easy as she thought. Too much energy towards a spell could make it go wrong or off target. Haruka, who usually prided herself on her accuracy and precision, found that the bit of magical wood she called her wand was actually very hard to control, and much of her concentration's sole purpose was to make her spell actually hit.
Once they did, however, the target rarely sufferered any damaged, or significantly less than if another person's spell had hit them. At the end, Haruka narrowed it down to a simple problem (her arcane power was insufficient) through some testing.
She took one of her favorite spells, flipendo, a friend with similar grades, and a practice dummy.
"Please cast flipendo at this dummy," she instructed. "As hard as you can."
"Uh.... okay? Flipendo!"" The spell shot forwards with considerable speed, and immediately knocked the dummy back a few good meters upon contact with its shoulder.
"And may I ask how you do that? How you made it so powerful, I mean." Haruka asked after the dummy had fallen to the ground with a muted thump. She waa curious to see how her classmate had done it.
"I just try to keep my movements more controlled so that all my energy is more concentrated. But you also can't be too stiff, you know what I mean?"
"Aahhh, I see," Haruka said, even though she didn't. "Thank you for your help! I'll see you around sometime." She smiled warmly and once her classmate had left, she started practicing according to her advice. She tried to figure out her own ways of improving her power while keeping everything else: the accuracy and grace of the overal movement. She saw her final goal as being able to treat spellcasting like a dance; graceful and poised. Once Haruka was fixtated on something, it was hard to convince her to do anything else.
Soon, she began to see results from the long hours of solitary practicing. She could shoot her spells farther, and with more speed and force. It was satisfying, in a way, to realize that she could actually control her magic, to use it for herself, in a way that was both artistic and practical.
Last edited by Danielle Emberwood on 26 Sep 2023, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.

sta • 7 | eva • 9 | str • 5
wis • 7 | arc • 7 | acc • 9
just because i look strong doesn't mean i am
maybe i'm just good at pretending to be

9 Jun 2023, 19:13
Haruka Hayashi  Mahoutokoro 
Is your character a Broom Racer? No
Is your character a Quidditch Player? No
Is your character a Duelist? Yes
Stats. Sta 7| Eva 7| Str 5 | Wis 7| Arc 8| Acc 8
Abilities.
Impartial (Y1) (403/400)
Reducio
Looks had never been important for Haruka. Don't get her wrong, it's not that she's completely careless about her looks, but it had never been number one deciding factor for her.
It all started with her being too busy to care about looks of others. She would hurry down the hall at her school, not sparing a glance for whoever was the hot item this week. She didn't know, anyways.
"Haruka!" Her friend Ayako called to her. "Did you see that?" she asked excitedly. "Asahi just winked at me!!"
"Hmm?" Haruka looked to her friend. "Who?"
"Didn't you see?" Ayako stopped and whirled around, leaning closer to whisper. "That guy. Isn't he so cool?"
Haruka didn't see what was 'cool' about the boy. Asahi was just the regular Japanese half-blood student, and she didn't see why so many girls always mooned over him. His grades were average, and he wasn't even on any sports teams to make up for it.
"Oh.. I guess so? You like him?"
"Oh, yes. Do you think he notices me?"
Haruka furrowed her brow. So this was a... crush?
"Why do you like him?" she decided to ask, not answering her question.
"Hello? Aren't you blind? He looks like a movie star!" Ayako looked at Haruka as if she was crazy. "Who wouldn't like him? Oh! He's walking our way, quick, look unsuspicious!"
Haruka, already facing the opposite way, couldn't help but smother a giggle at Ayako's shallowness. Why would someone like another just because of their looks? She had known plenty of people who looked good but were completely the opposite inside.
It had also been part of her upbringing, in a way. Haruka had learnt many things about the magical and muggle world, and the fact that poisonous things had the brightest and prettiest colors intruiged her. She figured it was like this 'universal principle' that good-looking didn't necessarily mean good, and she stuck hard to this belief when she got into the age where everyone was getting crushes, which earned her a few side eyes and funny looks when she treated so-and-so indiferently.
It was as if Haruka was blind to looks, in a way. What she noticed first about a person wasn't their fashion sense, height, or any of that sort. Instead, it was more of their quirks, the way they held themselves, and their small habits that she seemed to notice and observe.

Statistical Relevance for Arcane Power (Y2) (540/400)
Reducio
From a very young age, Haruka had been trained in sports that had required both power and grace.
Take figure skating, for example. The double axel was her favorite jump by far, even though it was unpopular with most people at her rink, since they weren't used to the foreward takeoff. And to be honest, it was hard. Haruka's coach had told her that it required a lot of guts, strength, and elegance to pull off the jump well, and she was determined to make it happen, which it did, in time. When taking her skating exam for that level, all of the judges grading her had commented on how strong but elegant her double axel was.
It was the same with karate; she had learnt how to make very hard and strong moves seem flowing and effortless through hours of training, and she entered Mahoutokoro with the same intent: to learn very hard spells and perform them as if it were nothing.
Quickly, she found that it wasn't as easy as she thought. Too much energy towards a spell could make it go wrong or off target. Haruka, who usually prided herself on her accuracy and precision, found that the bit of magical wood she called her wand was actually very hard to control, and much of her concentration's sole purpose was to make her spell actually hit.
Once they did, however, the target rarely sufferered any damaged, or significantly less than if another person's spell had hit them. At the end, Haruka narrowed it down to a simple problem (her arcane power was insufficient) through some testing.
She took one of her favorite spells, flipendo, a friend with similar grades, and a practice dummy.
"Please cast flipendo at this dummy," she instructed. "As hard as you can."
"Uh.... okay? Flipendo!"" The spell shot forwards with considerable speed, and immediately knocked the dummy back a few good meters upon contact with its shoulder.
"And may I ask how you do that? How you made it so powerful, I mean." Haruka asked after the dummy had fallen to the ground with a muted thump. She waa curious to see how her classmate had done it.
"I just try to keep my movements more controlled so that all my energy is more concentrated. But you also can't be too stiff, you know what I mean?"
"Aahhh, I see," Haruka said, even though she didn't. "Thank you for your help! I'll see you around sometime." She smiled warmly and once her classmate had left, she started practicing according to her advice. She tried to figure out her own ways of improving her power while keeping everything else: the accuracy and grace of the overal movement. She saw her final goal as being able to treat spellcasting like a dance; graceful and poised. Once Haruka was fixtated on something, it was hard to convince her to do anything else.
Soon, she began to see results from the long hours of solitary practicing. She could shoot her spells farther, and with more speed and force. It was satisfying, in a way, to realize that she could actually control her magic, to use it for herself, in a way that was both artistic and practical.

There is something about ambition, how it not only propels you but also defines you.