17 Jan 2023, 15:27
Watch and Learn

It was a marvel how active students around Hogwarts castle were. They moved with the grace and elegance of a baby giraffe, sure, but they absolutely got places. Sabine was shocked by how many students she had run into in just her first two weeks. From office visits to Great Hall greetings to awkward dance parties, there seemed to be seventy students to every one professor. Sabine wasn’t particularly fond of children, just on principle. She had spent most of her adult life in professions that didn’t require the company of children. That wasn’t to say she disliked them, no: she was, in fact, growing used to the many children milling about her at any given moment. Besides, their wide eyed wonder about magic was nothing if not inspiring.january 17, 2023.
Professor Blumenthal sat at her desk, sipping at a flowery cup of tea as she graded homework, feather quill scritch-scratching against the parchment. Behind her, the phonograph played gentle orchestra music that filled the office with a gentle comfort.
Through the skylight, afternoon sun bathed the interior of the office in its cozy glow, warming Sabine to the core. She could get used to days like these. All she could hear were the sounds of the phonograph and the gentle tinkling of pretty little windchimes outside, paired with the faraway braying of creatures hidden within the stables. In particular she could pick out the sounds of unicorns hoofing the ground.
The only nuisance of the day was the pair of red reading glasses that sat perched upon Sabine’s nose, which periodically slid down to the tip of her nose until she pushed them back up to the bridge.
Oh, yes, she could get used to days like these.
@Howard White.
"I’m Bean."
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
19 Jan 2023, 03:19
Watch and Learn
@Sabine Blumenthal
Howard’s long legs carried him out of the castle and towards the Care of Magical Creatures area of the grounds. Though his limbs were long, they moved in no particular rush as he organized his thoughts. It had been a couple of weeks since Professor Takagi had left her post and every time a teacher left one of the subjects he had come to love, it left him feeling a little blue. Perhaps apprehensive was a better way to describe it. Care of Magical Creatures had become nothing short of a passion for the young man, what if Howard didn’t get along with this Professor Blumenthal? What if her teaching style didn’t gel with him? The thought of his favorite subject going sour over the instructor left him quite a bit nervous. However, he had long ago learned that there was no point in sitting around worrying. Best to cut to the chase, make an introduction and let be what will be.
Soon enough Howard would find himself fast approaching the COMC office. His sensitive nose would quickly pick up on the various creatures that occupied the stables connected to building. There was always an air of mystery that hung around the animal housing. Except for during lessons, there was little time spent with the creatures as the stables were mostly restricted. What he wouldn’t give for a chance to spend a day or even just a few hours studying the magical beasts and beings up close and personal. Only time would tell how the new instructor would approach such things.
Thump, thump…
The Dhampir’s hand thudded against the door as he knocked. The faint smell of freshly brewed tea told him someone was most likely home. “Hello. Professor Blumenthal? It’s Howard White. May I have a moment of your time?” It was off for him to be so formal, but better to start with the right foot forward.
30 Jan 2023, 01:07
Watch and Learn

The knocking at the gnarled wood of the door startled Professor Blumenthal from the homeworks that sat before her, just waiting to be graded. A student, it seemed, had come to pay her a visit. "Please, come on in, Mister White. Tea?" The professor flicked her wand, causing the door to swing open in a wide arc, revealing the interior of the office. While small and a bit cluttered, the office was nothing short of well-decorated. The new professor sure seemed to have an eye for the beautiful, with perfectly placed wall hangings and impeccably vacuumed carpets underfoot. Sabine set down her feather quill and pushed the glasses off the bridge of her nose, allowing them to swing down against her chest, connected by the gold chain that ran around her neck.january 17, 2023.
Howard White. She didn't yet know this student, as her late introduction to the course and the school as a whole had left her temporarily in the weeds, so to speak, with no connection to most students. She hadn't had the opportunity to get to know all of them through lessons, not yet.
"What can I do for you today, Howard?" Sick pet? Homework help? Being picked on by an upperclassman? Upset with a homework grade? The reason for Howard's visit could be a great number of things, really. "You can have a seat there if you'd like." She gestured broadly to the two seats before her desk, intricate designs carved into the wood and plush velvet seats almost enticing a student to sit on their soft, pillowy surface.@Howard White.
"I’m Bean."
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
5 Feb 2023, 03:04
Watch and Learn
@Sabine Blumenthal
Howard smiled and offered a slightly awkward wave as the door magically flung open, but fortunately for him, Professor Blumenthal would make him feel welcome him with an offer of tea. "Yes, please. Thank you." He accepted the beverage as he entered the office. His crimson eyes would quickly dart around the space as he looked over her choice of decor. The choice of wall hangings and the carpet below would not be his first choices, but he did appreciate the attention to detail. Having outgrown his messy teenager phase, Howard had now come to enjoy the art of interior decoration. He preferred a more rustic aesthetic, as his private dorm room would convey, but any effort was always a nice touch. "Beautiful office, Professor." Howard offered his praise before taking the seat Sabine had offered him.
Now to tackle what had brought him here today. Gary, his purple pygmy puff, was in stellar health, thank Merlin. Howard had long ago gotten used to receiving bad marks on his homework and may the gods have mercy on any upperclassmen silly enough to try and bully him. No, it was not the usual student worries that brought Howard to Professor Blumenthal this day. It was something harder to approach. How does a student ask a teacher what they have to offer without offending them? The end of his student career was fast approaching and he hoped to leave Hogwarts with as much knowledge as possible. Well, in this class at least. He had long ago accepted that chairs and transfiguration would not be his expertise.
"Um, well, I just wanted to introduce myself and ask you a few questions, if I may?" Howard was being oddly formal, but he wanted to show respect while he got to know her. "I was saddened to see Professor Takagi leave, but I am hoping that we will get along as well. This class has become pretty important to me and I hope to pursue it outside of Hogwarts too. May I ask about your experience?" Hopefully this would not be taken as Howard questioning her qualifications, but as curiosity about a professional.
13 Feb 2023, 03:57
Watch and Learn

The quickest way to garner Sabine's approval was certainly complimenting the decor of her office. She had, for lack of a better word, agonized over ensuring it was both the coziest space for herself (and her students) and the best space for progress. In her own mind, she thought she'd done rather well. "Thank you kindly." Upon the table now sat a steaming cup of tea, with a small jar for sugar to the side, should Howard prove to have a sweet tooth.january 17, 2023.
Sabine herself preferred her tea iced and sickeningly sweet, Southern style.
Now, the way in which Howard put his question was more polite than it perhaps implied. Sabine immediately picked up on the nuance of it; he wanted to make sure she was actually a good professor, rather than someone they picked up off the side of the road due to a lack of options.
It was lucky for Howard that Sabine enjoyed speaking about herself.
"Absolutely you may," Sabine leaned back in her seat, just slightly, gesturing to a large map that hung behind her head. Certain portions were circled in red ink, others stuck with large pins. "I've been studying magizoology professionally since I graduated from Ilvermorny. I began my job as a magizoologist for MACUSA, where I was able to travel to every portion you see circled or pinned on that map. I've studied, firsthand, a number of creatures and in my time I took on a few interns to accelerate their own study."
Fingers folded on the tabletop, Sabine leaned in to take a sip of her own tea. Unlike Howard, it was a tall glass, frosty on the outside from the ice inside. "I will admit that this is my first time teaching students in an academic setting, but I have plenty of experience teaching graduates firsthand in the field."
It may seem as if she was done, but her accomplishments in the field were no small feat. At least, not to Sabine, they weren't.
"I have a few academic journals of my own that I filled out as I cataloged new creatures--you're more than welcome to take a look at any of them if you'd like," to her right, indeed, sitting on the slightly bending and warped wooden shelves of the bookshelf, were a few large journals, stuffed to the brim with papers, newspaper clippings, photographs, and notes.@Howard White.
"I’m Bean."
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
19 Feb 2023, 03:21
Watch and Learn
@Sabine Blumenthal
Howard smiled as Professor Blumenthal agreed to his questioning. With a flick of her wand tea was provided for them. A steamy cup for the student, a frosty glass for the teacher. He had heard of this style of tea. So very American to drink it cold and he assumed sweetened. Howard's red eyes flickered between his cup and her glass a few times before returning her gaze. "Actually, may I try it like that?" A clawed index finger pointed to Sabine's beverage. Curiosity was beginning to fully grip the dhampir as he sat forward in his seat.
The professor would confirm his suspicion when she told him about graduating from Ilvermorny. An American! Or at least someone who had done their magical studies there. It was often easy to forget about the rest of the magical world when he was so absorbed in his life at Hogwarts. To hear about other experiences from the world wide community was always such a treat. "That's fantastic. I do hope to make it to the Americas one of these days." Dreams of world travel frequently made their way into Howard's day dreams. The desire only growing in strength when Sabine drew his attention to the map behind her. His eyes bounced between all of the locations highlighted as his wonder continued to grow. "You've been to all of those places?!" The often stoic youth was left with almost a child like expression of amusement as he looked the map over. What a life she must have lived! To think of all of the people, plants and animals she must have met! Howard's bucket list filled another page.
"Interns!" Howard blurted out the repeated word as his mind now began to race. How does one become an intern? Would she do it again? Would she ever consider him for that role? He was getting too far ahead of himself, but the blazing passion that now filled his chest could not be quelled. The young man could even care less about the fact that Professor Blumenthal had never taught before. What's book knowledge and teaching history when she could provide a resume like hers? The real life experience the dhampir yearned for. "Would you ever consider doing something like that, here at Hogwarts?"
Howard's gaze would be drawn to various journals Sabine spoke of. He would, without a doubt, be pouring over ever detail within them when this conversation came to an end. In fact, the mention of journaling made him remember his own. "Um, may I..." His voice drifted as he reach into his bag for his very own journal. A rare moment of potential embarrassment fluttered through his belly as he presented the leather bound book. "I've been keeping one of my own." Howard would spend may of his free day out on the grounds observing the wildlife around Hogwarts. Each page was filled with sketches and notes about each animals behaviors and what information he had learned about them. He had even brought it to class, but it was always hard to try and fill the pages on the magical animals housed in the stables and complete the coursework. "We haven't had much one on one time in the stables, but I've tried my best." Howard searched Sabine's expression, secretly hoping for approval.
26 Feb 2023, 02:33
Watch and Learn

Ah! An adventurous student, this Howard. Sabine took the teacup of that steaming herbal beverage back, floating it off to the back table with another little flick of her wand. One cold sweet tea, coming up! Sabine filled another tall glass with tea from a large pitcher, dropping three ice cubes from a small insulated ice canister into the drink. With that, she slid the taller glass back over the desktop to her student. "I do recommend it with some lemon. Maybe you can save the lemon for next time, though, depending on how you feel about a good old Southern style sweet tea."january 17, 2023.
It did make her laugh internally, the large difference between their tastes in tea. It was just like Sabine, a lover of all things American, to end up at a school with the hot and herbal difference.
"I do highly recommend devoting some time after your graduation to travel. The Americas are just beautiful. Castelobruxo is really something to behold," she looked back at the map, the one that Howard seemed to be gawking at in desire and awe. "Oh, yes. While I do think that most wizarding professions are fulfilling, I will admit that the career of a magizoologist is probably the most wonderful. I've met so many people, so many creatures, so many cultures." The professor knit her fingers together, elbows propping her head up on the table. "I'm assuming you're closer to graduation? Most younger students don't seem to care too much about life after school, at least not yet."
Now, interns. Sabine had quite a history with interns. She often took younger graduates under her wing in her profession, utilizing them to help understand those wonderful beasts and give them the real-life experience they would need in the future. Sabine Blumenthal had loved working with her interns--and was proud to boast that she was planning on bringing those interns to Hogwarts. "I'm sure you'd be happy to know that I am, actually, working on a program to give students hands-on experience in the field of magizoology. More than I can in regular classes, at least," she sipped her tea, glancing out the window to her right to watch a little chickadee meander around outside.
Most interesting to her, though, more interesting than boasting about her accomplishments (something that amused Sabine to no end), was the fact that this student had his own notebook filled with his discoveries. Journaling was, in her own opinion, one of the best ways to create an impact. Sabine reached out, fingers outstretched, a small smile on her face. This was the reason she wanted to teach. To make an impact, to create a sense of understanding and hopefully push at least one student into the field of magizoology. "May I have a look?" The fact that Howard was so passionate already, so willing to show his work (and come to talk to Sabine in the first place), told Sabine all she needed to know about his dedication. "I think your devotion is already wonderful, Howard. I'm sure we could work out a way to get you more on-the-spot experience with creatures, if you'd like."
Secretly, she did hope he'd say yes. The thought of making a difference in this one student's life was too exciting to pass up.@Howard White.
"I’m Bean."
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
28 Feb 2023, 03:33
Watch and Learn
@Sabine Blumenthal
Howard smirked as he looked to the tall glass of iced tea. Being English born and bred, it was almost blasphemous, but what’s life without trying all its offerings. “Lemon?” He asked with a raised brow. Could be a nice touch, yet he chose to try what she described as a Southern sweet tea. Howard pressed the glass to his lips and let the cold liquid flow into his mouth. His face puckered at the sweetness at first, but then there was a touch of bitter from the tea. Simply put, “That’s actually quite nice. Maybe better suited for summer, but not bad!” He thanked Sabine with a smile. “You say Southern, yeah?” He tried his best to remember a map of the United States. “Is that where you are from?”
The conversation would shift to travel and Professor Blumenthal was all for it. Howard’s mind daydreamed of what it must be like deep in the rainforest at Castelobruxo, but would magizoology be right for him? He fantasized of exploration, yet the thought of traveling for a profession left him unsure. “Do all magizoologist travel for work? I had, maybe, imagined something different for me.” A plot of land, a stable full of creatures, a certain Ravenclaw at his side. “Yes. I am in my sixth year now.” He answered her question about graduation. “Preparing for my NEWTs best I can. I hope to take the one for Care of Magical Creatures. Perhaps Potions and Herbology too.” Howard’s best subjects. “I hope to turn it all into some kind of profession, but what, I’m not sure yet.” His eyes searched hers for a hint of advice.
As much as the future was fun to think of, the here and now became much more enticing when the subject of interns was brought up. The idea that Sabine was actually looking to implement a program here at Hogwarts nearly brought a tear to Howard’s eye. He’d sign the form here and now if he could. Hell, he’d move into the damn stables if that’s what it took. “Professor, that’s wonderful. I’d be happy to help with anything you may need. I can’t tell you how much I’ve wanted to tour the stables, even work in them if it was allowed.” Howard had respected the previous educators in their decision to keep them locked up tight, but praise Merlin he may just have a chance to fulfill a dream!
Howard was slightly embarrassed at first to hand over his amateur journal, but as the conversation flowed, his eagerness grew. When Professor Blumenthal asked to see his work he agreed right away. If he was still capable of blushing, he just may have done so when she praised his devotion to the study. “Yes, Professor. I would love nothing more.” Give Howard the quill, he was ready!
9 Apr 2023, 04:37
Watch and Learn

Of course, Sabine didn't expect Howard to adore the taste of Southern sweet tea near as much as the type he'd surely grown up drinking, though she couldn't deny the small pang of pride she felt in her chest when he admitted that it was 'quite nice'. "I suppose it is more of a Summer sort of offering, but then, I find your type to be quite winter-esque. I'm not actually from the South, but their sweet tea is basically a staple in most of the US. I'm from New York."january 17, 2023.
Well, Uganda, technically, but the semantics could be glossed over.
"No, not all magizoologists travel. Some are perfectly content to stay in one place, but they're more concentrated on one species. Magizoologists like me like to categorize many, and if you're looking to stay stationary, I would recommend spending all your time studying one particular creature. It may sound boring to begin with, but each and every creature is so unique and wonderful--I can't imagine ever getting tired of it," his NEWTs seemed to be very geared towards the natural aspect of magic, something Sabine could perfectly respect. Her NEWTs had been much the same, in fact, focused in on a very particular type of magic. "I can see a career concentration in that leading to something that might have a focus in healing magic. The magizoology field can always use it."
There would always be magical creatures, and where there were creatures, there was illness.
"If you'd be interested, I might be able to give a quick rundown of the stables and all we keep in there."@Howard White.
"I’m Bean."
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13
STA 10 | EVA 7 | STR 5 | WIS 20 | ARC 15 | ACC 13