10 Aug 2018, 02:49
A Friendly Chat
Verla hugged herself. She had sent a letter to Professor Henley about needing to speak with her. The professor said it was alright and gave her a date and time when she was free. So Verla took it.
She had recently just lost her best friend. He was special to her, the thing was, it was a bowtruckle. And Professor Maya something told her to give him away. This hurt Verla a ton, and made her super depressed. She felt she had no hope left in this world, which is why she needed to talk about it with some one. This particular professor told her if she ever needed to talk, that it would be alright to come up and talk to her. So she was taking that opportunity now, as needed.
Verla knocked on the door, when she saw a note that said:
Verla, just knock and come on in.
So she knocked again and came in, "professor Henley? Are you in here?" Verla couldn't see where she was if she was there. So she decided to sit herself down and wait in front of her desk. There were papers scattered all over her, but didn't look since it was none of her business.
She admired how her office looked, it was cozy, with a nice fire burning (if there even is a fireplace). She loved how professors could customize their own office into something that could be just like home. Verla needed a new pet, some thing to take her mind off of Oliver, her best friend, and her only companion. Oliver was a bowtruckle, and they weren't allowed apparently in the school, and she'd kept him hidden for a while. But when she took him to the Cabin of the Basilisk, she was told to give him away, back to the wilderness. This stung Verla, and she hated that professor for doing the cruelest thing to both of them. Maybe Professor Henley could make an exception, or maybe not, maybe she could put it up to a vote with the other professors, since Oliver's never harmed any one. He was too young to even understand what his kind did. Which was protect a wood wand tree and gouge out the eyes of anyone who tried to cut it down with woodlice as an offering.
She hoped the professor wouldn't take long, she really needed to speak to her. Her anxiety and depression had gotten worse since the day she'd let him go, he was her only joy and happiness in this world after her parents disowned their own child for being a witch, which she would bring up to the professor also. How it made her so angry that a parent could do that to such a little girl! In a letter form too! Verla sighed and looked down and began to sob silently, until she heard the door open. She quickly wiped her eyes and turned around, to see the professor standing there with concern on her face.
This is my longest rp ever, so let me know if it's good.
She had recently just lost her best friend. He was special to her, the thing was, it was a bowtruckle. And Professor Maya something told her to give him away. This hurt Verla a ton, and made her super depressed. She felt she had no hope left in this world, which is why she needed to talk about it with some one. This particular professor told her if she ever needed to talk, that it would be alright to come up and talk to her. So she was taking that opportunity now, as needed.
Verla knocked on the door, when she saw a note that said:
Verla, just knock and come on in.
So she knocked again and came in, "professor Henley? Are you in here?" Verla couldn't see where she was if she was there. So she decided to sit herself down and wait in front of her desk. There were papers scattered all over her, but didn't look since it was none of her business.
She admired how her office looked, it was cozy, with a nice fire burning (if there even is a fireplace). She loved how professors could customize their own office into something that could be just like home. Verla needed a new pet, some thing to take her mind off of Oliver, her best friend, and her only companion. Oliver was a bowtruckle, and they weren't allowed apparently in the school, and she'd kept him hidden for a while. But when she took him to the Cabin of the Basilisk, she was told to give him away, back to the wilderness. This stung Verla, and she hated that professor for doing the cruelest thing to both of them. Maybe Professor Henley could make an exception, or maybe not, maybe she could put it up to a vote with the other professors, since Oliver's never harmed any one. He was too young to even understand what his kind did. Which was protect a wood wand tree and gouge out the eyes of anyone who tried to cut it down with woodlice as an offering.
She hoped the professor wouldn't take long, she really needed to speak to her. Her anxiety and depression had gotten worse since the day she'd let him go, he was her only joy and happiness in this world after her parents disowned their own child for being a witch, which she would bring up to the professor also. How it made her so angry that a parent could do that to such a little girl! In a letter form too! Verla sighed and looked down and began to sob silently, until she heard the door open. She quickly wiped her eyes and turned around, to see the professor standing there with concern on her face.
This is my longest rp ever, so let me know if it's good.
Last edited by Verla Harness on 13 Aug 2018, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.
10 Aug 2018, 15:38
A Friendly Chat

[quote]Well... Maybe not concern, per say. As Violet was rarely ever really so forthcoming with her own emotional state. When the girl had owled her, the Charms Professor had been fairly certain it was regarding the very issue that she had spoken to a few of the other professors about, and true to life, it seemed the young child, so vastly wrapped in drama, had found her way through the list of new teachers as well.
Smiling faintly, Violet came around the other side of her desk, and sinking down, she rifled through a drawer, finding a handkerchief that she offered the girl, "Miss Harness, I presume? I've heard a lot about you." Turning in her seat, she reached for a small tin sitting on a trunk beside something covered in a floral-patterned blanket, and returning her eyes to the student, held it out. Inside, if Verla chose to open it, was a batch of dark chocolate chip cookies, "Help yourself."
Sitting back comfortably, kicking off her bright red heels beneath the desk and curling her legs up beneath her, she studied Verla for a moment, before she continued, "I imagine you've come to talk about the Bowtruckle Professor Galim asked you to release?" Her smile was warm, her eyes understanding, "I heard from Alpheus... Professor Wordsworth. It must have been very difficult for you, giving him up. But I do hope you understand, Miss Harness... you've done the absolute right thing. Bowtruckles... they're meant to be in nature. In the trees. Their very existence is why we have our wands, and without them, well, what a predicament that would be. And could you imagine if we set the precedent of allowing one for a pet? Why... everyone would want one and then what on earth would become of the poor dears, or, considering what they do, the magical world. And while I know that it must seem devastating to lose him, you've really done what's best for him. And soon enough, I'm sure, you'll be able to see that, once the fog of sorrow has passed you by."
Folding her hands on the desk surface, she contemplated what to say next, "Often times, when you are young, everything seems like the end of the world. But you will find, over the next few years, the difference between true tragedy and sentiment. Neither are wrong of course, and you're entitled to feel hurt. But I promise, it will pass. And Oliver, that was his name, right? He will flourish in a way he never could if you had kept him in the castle. Eventually, a creature like that, outside of it's natural element, and it's purpose? It could become ill or worse, and that, truly, would be far more painful than what you're experiencing, right now."
Pausing, she shifted a paper aside, to look down at something on her desk, before her eyes flickered back to Verla, "Now... as for the other matter you wrote about... Your parents? I assure you, Miss Harness, they cannot legally disown you as a minor. In candor, if they should chose, they could, I suppose, place you up for adoption, but the ramifications for that would be, well, rather extreme at your age and I don't imagine favorable for them. That, and you are their child. Rarely do parents forget that, even when it seems they have. You are bonded to them in a way no other person can be, and they will more than likely come around."
Straightening, she smiled understandingly, "They're upset, and I can grasp that, to an extent... it's difficult for Muggles sometimes, to understand our world. There is a great deal of superstitions about our kind that might give them a view that isn't necessarily aligned with the truth. That said, give them time. You've got a year ahead of you. Write to them... share your world with them, perhaps ask others to write as well. I know I wouldn't mind sending them an owl. When it comes time for you to return home, if they still are disinterested in having you, well... surely you have family that can take you in? An aunt or uncle? Grandparents? Or even friends. We are very rarely ever truly alone. It may take a great deal of work on your end, to win your parents over, but it ultimately depends on what outcome you're hoping to achieve."
12 Aug 2018, 18:33
A Friendly Chat
When the professor got straight to the point, she began to sob when she said she'd done the best thing for Oliver. Then she began to speak. "For Oliver, I don't think I can ever heal from losing him. He was my best friend, he was my family. If I could rip someone away from my family you think I'd do it to my parents since they don't want me anymore? Point is, Oliver is just one bowtruckle, not one hundred. I honestly think the world would be fine without one bowtruckle.
On the matter of my parents, they say it'd make no sense to give me up for adoption, I think they meant I could stay here until I'm 18 and only contact them when I need money for school or to sign permission slips. I don't know what to do about either of these matters." Verla was shaking, she didn't know if it was because she was nervous or scared. She was a little bit of both. When the professor had offered a cookie, she now took one and began to nibble on it, she wasn't going to turn down a cookie no matter what mood she was in.
On the matter of my parents, they say it'd make no sense to give me up for adoption, I think they meant I could stay here until I'm 18 and only contact them when I need money for school or to sign permission slips. I don't know what to do about either of these matters." Verla was shaking, she didn't know if it was because she was nervous or scared. She was a little bit of both. When the professor had offered a cookie, she now took one and began to nibble on it, she wasn't going to turn down a cookie no matter what mood she was in.
"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.
12 Aug 2018, 19:17
A Friendly Chat

[quote]"Now, really. Miss Harness... Pull yourself together." The words were stern, but not unkind, as Violet leaned forward a little, "I don't make it a habit of opening my past to students, but I can tell you I know a thing or two about real tragedy... And what it means to lose someone dear to you. I've no intention of begrudging you your feelings, but the rules exist for a reason, and we cannot ammend them for one person and not others. Surely you understand that, if nothing else. You will find a way to get past this... And in time you'll see it really was for the best for everyone."
Hands resting on her desk, she considered something for a moment, "I tell you what..." Turning, she rose and moved to thing covered by the floral blanket, giving the covering a tug. Beneath was an iron cage, within which a magnificent horned owl resided, "This is Cassiopeia. My personal owl. If you promise to let matters lie and try to move past all this grief, I'm more than willing to allow you to help take care of Cass. She would remain in my office, of course, but you would be permitted to feed her and visit with her at appropriate times... Provided you keep up with lessons and there's no more trying to curry favor with Professors to get the rules changed. Do you think that's a deal we can make?"
Smiling, she shrugged, "And for the other matter, I shall write to your parents immediately, and inform them that while we are more than happy to have you during the year, we are not a boarding center. Their responsibilities to you do not go away, simply because you're not what they expected you to be. They will need to find a safe, suitable place for you when Hogwarts is out for the summer... And I will be keeping close watch that they are treating you well, I assure you."
12 Aug 2018, 21:28
A Friendly Chat
When the professor offered her to take care of her owl Cass, she was immediately reminded of her favorite tv show. She wiped her eyes and sniffled. "I appreciate that Professor Henley, it means a lot to me. But I don't know if I can handle the responsibilities, especially since she'll be here at all times and I wouldn't want to interrupt you in the middle of a meeting or anything. As for my parents, I will be sure to tell if they decide to keep me at their place or send me some where else. If anything, they'd probably send me to a bloody orphanage or something like that since there isn't much of them around. I hope they don't give me away. I really hope they don't, but if they decide to, then I've made my peace with it because I have such amazing friends here." It was true, she had Howie and Rosie, and Miko and Lucien, Ayleid ect. They were amazing people, and they were her family now, not them. She didn't need them. "I'll let you know what they decide, ask them if they could send me an owl, thank you for everything, I thought I'd be in here for hours as a sobbing mess. But I appreciate you help, really, I do. And uh... thanks for the cookie.
"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.
13 Aug 2018, 16:05
A Friendly Chat

[quote]"Well, the offer stands, all the same. You're welcome to visit me or Cass, any time you'd like." It was the best offer Violet could give the girl. She understood Verla's emotional state, even if it seemed a touch dramatic. In time, the young Hufflepuff would heal, and hopefully start to enjoy herself better at Hogwarts, but for now if Violet could offer her something of a condolence, then she would do just that.
"I'll compose an owl and send it this afternoon. I assure you, whatever it may seem, it would not be in their best interests, legally, to abandon you in such a way as that. But if they do choose to, for whatever reason, we will see to it you're placed somewhere you'll be securely looked after and well taken care of." It wasn't, after all, within any of the professors at Hogwarts to leave a student to suffer needlessly.
"Please, keep my updated. And you're most welcome, Miss Harness. I imagine you'll find, in time, all of this will be little more than an unpleasant memory... and that, too, will fade eventually. Now go off and have some fun, hmm? No more of those tears. And take the cookies... You and your friends can enjoy them!"
13 Aug 2018, 16:41
A Friendly Chat
"Thank you professor, I appreciate your help, and thanks for the cookies" Verla smiled as she took them and put them in a baggy and put it in her bigger bag, there was about ten there, so she could share with some of her friends. Verla walked out, better than she felt when she first walked in. She promised herself not to cry anymore. Not about Oliver and not about her parents. Especially not her parents.
Verla wondered what they would say to Professor Henley's letter. She might get a letter in return from them. Maybe an apology? Or maybe she might get a howler. Those were awful. She remembered when her friend had gotten one, that must have been bad, or they done something bad enough to receive one of them.
Verla walked out of the office and shut the door behind her, nothing could let her down now that she'd talked about things. It made her feel better, knowing that the Professor would always be there to help her with things when she needed it, maybe tomorrow she'd visit again and feed Cass. Taking care of Cass might help things, help her to look forward to getting an owl perhaps.
Verla wondered what they would say to Professor Henley's letter. She might get a letter in return from them. Maybe an apology? Or maybe she might get a howler. Those were awful. She remembered when her friend had gotten one, that must have been bad, or they done something bad enough to receive one of them.
Verla walked out of the office and shut the door behind her, nothing could let her down now that she'd talked about things. It made her feel better, knowing that the Professor would always be there to help her with things when she needed it, maybe tomorrow she'd visit again and feed Cass. Taking care of Cass might help things, help her to look forward to getting an owl perhaps.
"What cannot be seen, felt, or carried?" Person who gets this right I will donate some money to them.