22 Dec 2022, 12:14
Mythology Discussion
Hello! This would be our first discussion. I am interested in your favourite mythologies, myths (the stories themselves) and god/goddess/any other character from mythology. In case you don’t know yet, Harry Potter has a lot of mythological influences (for example the centaurs). This is all in the sign up process but it would be cool if you would elaborate too! There is no wordcount, but please give us specific reasons! (But it doesn’t have to be as long as mine… when i get talking about something I love… I just can’t stop…
)
Okay, so let me begin.
Like Kayla, I love classical mythology, in fact I am considering studying classics for university. But that aside, I love Greek mythology best. I guess I first got introduced to Greek mythology through the Percy Jackson series, like many other children around the world. I’m not really sure why I liked it best… maybe it is just because I spent the most time with it. I think, for me at least, the Romans were somewhat taking inspiration from the Greeks, and that makes me feel as if they are not 100% percent original. (Of course no mythology really is….) For Aztec mythology… I have never been really introduced to that, so if anyones knows about it please do tell! For Norse mythology, I kind of dislike how little gods there are. I think what makes a pantheon interesting is that there are a lot of gods (A LOT) with different ideas. This works for Egyptian as well — I don’t know that many. Now it may just because we have not yet discovered them, but I think that, bringing this back to the classics, the fact that the Romans had a goddess of hinges and a god of horseflee is quite remarkable.
For my favourite god/goddess I’m really in love with the Muses. I think they are representations of art and knowledge, and I love how they are all part of this big group — the Nine Muses. They are so fabulously talented… maybe you would ask me to pick my favourite out of the nine of them — I can’t. They are all so talented, but differently. Again, I think its sad how these minor gods and goddesses get overlooked. The Nine Muses are not that minor, but I think they deserve their own spotlight too. Next is my absolute absolute favourite Nike / Victoria. I think it is the exact reason that the shoebrand adopted the name is because it means victory. It is also why Victoria was popular for a while. Nicole is also derived from Nike. Anyways, it is a fairly Slytherin thing to say (and I am Slytherin ooc), but who doesn’t love winning? For me, if I was a true Ravenclaw, I would go for Athena / Minerva / Thoth / Odin and the other intelligence gods out there but I think there is something about victory that just calls to me. Also, don’t you feel it is majestic, to see Nike in her golden chariot, her body seemingly blazing with a look-at-me attitude and her wings — oh her golden wings are the most beautiful. It is as if i can see them raised in Victory. Again I’m not 100% sure how to describe it, but I just think, ooh, she’s the boss here.
My favourite myth? Ooh this is hard! It is not really one myth but a set, there’s too much to summarise but it is an African myth about the spider Anansi. Now I’m probably going away from my I love classics vibe, but I think they are really interesting. I mean of course its hard to choose a favourite one but Anansi’s stories are the most interesting for me. First, what obviously makes him interesting is that he is a spider. We all know the Arachne myth but this has nothing to do with it. Anansi has a very sharp mouth and can talk his way through everything (kind of like Loki, except as a spider). So anyways, I think, my character being a Ravenclaw and me myself processing some Ravencalw traits, I think Anansi is definitely quite witty. A spider — i don’t think he’s poisonous — and even if he is, he never uses it. I think what makes him and his stories really interesting is how he shows us that you don’t have to big or strong or good at fighting or anything like that to b mighty. I think Anansi is really the classic small but mighty. (I know sorry I’m kind of slipping back into my favourite being from mythology question but some of his adventures are amazing you should really google them!
)
Anyways, again, you don’t have to make it that long… I was just… in the zone.
@Bailey Glade @Kayla Realma
Please sign up before posting!
Okay, so let me begin.
Like Kayla, I love classical mythology, in fact I am considering studying classics for university. But that aside, I love Greek mythology best. I guess I first got introduced to Greek mythology through the Percy Jackson series, like many other children around the world. I’m not really sure why I liked it best… maybe it is just because I spent the most time with it. I think, for me at least, the Romans were somewhat taking inspiration from the Greeks, and that makes me feel as if they are not 100% percent original. (Of course no mythology really is….) For Aztec mythology… I have never been really introduced to that, so if anyones knows about it please do tell! For Norse mythology, I kind of dislike how little gods there are. I think what makes a pantheon interesting is that there are a lot of gods (A LOT) with different ideas. This works for Egyptian as well — I don’t know that many. Now it may just because we have not yet discovered them, but I think that, bringing this back to the classics, the fact that the Romans had a goddess of hinges and a god of horseflee is quite remarkable.
For my favourite god/goddess I’m really in love with the Muses. I think they are representations of art and knowledge, and I love how they are all part of this big group — the Nine Muses. They are so fabulously talented… maybe you would ask me to pick my favourite out of the nine of them — I can’t. They are all so talented, but differently. Again, I think its sad how these minor gods and goddesses get overlooked. The Nine Muses are not that minor, but I think they deserve their own spotlight too. Next is my absolute absolute favourite Nike / Victoria. I think it is the exact reason that the shoebrand adopted the name is because it means victory. It is also why Victoria was popular for a while. Nicole is also derived from Nike. Anyways, it is a fairly Slytherin thing to say (and I am Slytherin ooc), but who doesn’t love winning? For me, if I was a true Ravenclaw, I would go for Athena / Minerva / Thoth / Odin and the other intelligence gods out there but I think there is something about victory that just calls to me. Also, don’t you feel it is majestic, to see Nike in her golden chariot, her body seemingly blazing with a look-at-me attitude and her wings — oh her golden wings are the most beautiful. It is as if i can see them raised in Victory. Again I’m not 100% sure how to describe it, but I just think, ooh, she’s the boss here.
My favourite myth? Ooh this is hard! It is not really one myth but a set, there’s too much to summarise but it is an African myth about the spider Anansi. Now I’m probably going away from my I love classics vibe, but I think they are really interesting. I mean of course its hard to choose a favourite one but Anansi’s stories are the most interesting for me. First, what obviously makes him interesting is that he is a spider. We all know the Arachne myth but this has nothing to do with it. Anansi has a very sharp mouth and can talk his way through everything (kind of like Loki, except as a spider). So anyways, I think, my character being a Ravenclaw and me myself processing some Ravencalw traits, I think Anansi is definitely quite witty. A spider — i don’t think he’s poisonous — and even if he is, he never uses it. I think what makes him and his stories really interesting is how he shows us that you don’t have to big or strong or good at fighting or anything like that to b mighty. I think Anansi is really the classic small but mighty. (I know sorry I’m kind of slipping back into my favourite being from mythology question but some of his adventures are amazing you should really google them!
Anyways, again, you don’t have to make it that long… I was just… in the zone.
@Bailey Glade @Kayla Realma
Please sign up before posting!
A heart as cold as ice; a mind as hard as stone.