BBCode and flexbox
Hello!
Having worked extensively with phpBB before, and having been on other (writing/rp) forums that use it, I was wondering about the current limitations of BBCode on the site.
As far as I can tell, most formatting right now has to be done using quote boxes and/or tables. Tables are of course problematic for mobile viewing and it's quite easy to make things break for mobile. Most other writing forums I have been on have some kind of system that allow the user to create what's essentially a div and apply their own (inline) CSS to it, like so:
Now, I also know that in order to make a div like that work goes against the recommended security rules phpBB has for custom BBcodes, so I can certainly understand why those might not be desirable.
However, there are alternatives. Basically, it would be nice to have a better system to layout content. Something as simple as being able to create rows and columns that adapt to the page size (and don't overflow the page on mobile or other resolutions) would be a great improvement.
A lot of coding could be simplified and made more mobile friendly if the forum supported a (subset) of flexbox. If you allow users to create what are essentially divs but with some pre-made CSS classes attached to them, it should not be too difficult to have a system that allows for creating flex containers, laying things out in columns and rows (and have those rows and columns collapse and stack on top of each other without overflowing the forum body when the page is resized).
Perhaps something like this has already been previously thought about. My intent is not to criticize, and if need be I can probably provide the exact CSS and phpBB BBCode configurations needed - I do have a local phpBB installation I can develop and test things on.
Having worked extensively with phpBB before, and having been on other (writing/rp) forums that use it, I was wondering about the current limitations of BBCode on the site.
As far as I can tell, most formatting right now has to be done using quote boxes and/or tables. Tables are of course problematic for mobile viewing and it's quite easy to make things break for mobile. Most other writing forums I have been on have some kind of system that allow the user to create what's essentially a div and apply their own (inline) CSS to it, like so:
Code: Select all
{style='text-align:center;color:red;min-width:100px;'}{/style} (where {} are [] )
However, there are alternatives. Basically, it would be nice to have a better system to layout content. Something as simple as being able to create rows and columns that adapt to the page size (and don't overflow the page on mobile or other resolutions) would be a great improvement.
A lot of coding could be simplified and made more mobile friendly if the forum supported a (subset) of flexbox. If you allow users to create what are essentially divs but with some pre-made CSS classes attached to them, it should not be too difficult to have a system that allows for creating flex containers, laying things out in columns and rows (and have those rows and columns collapse and stack on top of each other without overflowing the forum body when the page is resized).
Perhaps something like this has already been previously thought about. My intent is not to criticize, and if need be I can probably provide the exact CSS and phpBB BBCode configurations needed - I do have a local phpBB installation I can develop and test things on.
"He's a dweeby chocolate bar lip smacking nerd" - Evelynn Decipio
BBCode and flexbox
Thank you for your feedback! Hio has only 1 programmer on the back end, and that is Zach, our founder. He would be the one to make these changes if he'd want to implement them. Unfortunately, Zach is rather busy in real life, and while we have the means to contact them in case of emergency, all other projects are done when Zach has the time. There have been updates made, important updates as well, over the years, but some other things we've had to wait a while for. Others were/are not feasible at the time/right now.
Zach does read through this forum when they have the time, so I assume they will see this. I cannot tell, however, if or when you will receive feedback from them, and how much work on their end would be needed to implement these changes. So this is a heads up so you know that we aren't ignoring your message.
Zach does read through this forum when they have the time, so I assume they will see this. I cannot tell, however, if or when you will receive feedback from them, and how much work on their end would be needed to implement these changes. So this is a heads up so you know that we aren't ignoring your message.
Cu ochii deschiși.