14 Mar 2022, 02:40
No Spells, No Charms, No Problem.
@Bloom Silverton
Howard would walk intentionally slow as Bloom accepted his arm. First, not let his long legs outpace her. Second, who would want to rush during a moment like this. The emotion he was experiencing was hard to pinpoint. There was a comfort with her being so close. It felt safe and natural, the feeling you get when you're with family or close friends. An acceptance that lets you know that no matter what goes wrong there is someone you can count on to have your back, but there was more than this familial closeness as well. Something about the experience made even his half dead heart beat faster as she held his arm. Similar to what he had felt before with other girls, but also not the same. Howard had spent a summer crushing on Serena, though that now felt childish. He had fallen hard for Falentra, which was much stronger, but also...fleeting. Burnt out just as quickly as it had ignited. However, this feeling with Bloom was even deeper yet. More mature, more adult yet Howard was still only fifteen and emotions like this were still much too hard to decipher, but one way or the other, he knew she was special.
As the walk carried them closer to the mall, Howard's mind would move to the future as it often did. Live in the moment, carpe diem or whatever, but he couldn't help it. The future had always seemed so uncertain. Like at any moment his life could shift in some radical way or another. However, as he grew it was becoming easier to picture. Merlin knows what it would bring, but at least now it wasn't certain doom. Howard could relate as Bloom spoke of living most their lives in the Muggle world and was just now starting to even think of returning to it. He had always written it off after his transformation. An impossibility, yet here he was now walking the streets of London. Sure, it may mean a life of secrecy, but still a life he could choose. "I'm not sure. I wasn't even sure I'd be able to come back and if I did, I'm not sure what I would do. Going back home ain't gonna happen and who the hell knows what I would do for work. I feel like that would be my biggest hurdle. Plus I'd be broke as shit." He said with a chuckle. Howard had no financial position in the Muggle world, something Bloom could relate to. Which left him with option two.
As she spoke of OWLS he would think of what he might do professionally in the magic world. "I guess staying in the wizarding world could work too. Although they all know that I'm a Dhampir. At least in the Muggle world I'd just be another freak." Not that he thought of himself that way, but he may actually never have a rightful place in that community. Wouldn't be the first time the Ministry had stripped all the rights of half breeds. "But I think I could get by better." By this he meant financially. "Shit, the OWLS are gonna be such a drag. I'm gonna flunk everything except care of magical creatures and herbology." It was probably true. Howard had become terrible with charms and spells ever since his transformation, like it had almost dulled his magic or something. "Maybe I could do one of those things though, or both? Get a job on a farm somewhere. Look after the plants and animals. Live the country life." It didn't sound all that bad now that he thought of it.
The conversation would continue as they approached the entrance to the mall. Howard would open the door for he and then offer his arm again before they continued. Merlin! It had been ages since he had been in a Muggle mall. Did kids even do this kind of thing anymore? "Would ya look at that!" Howard called out as they passed a clothing store. "Is that what they are wearing these days?" He had forgotten how quickly fashion trends could change. "So what about you? I know you're not sure what you'd do, but take a guess. Muggle job versus wizarding job." He asked with a smile.
31 Mar 2022, 04:09
No Spells, No Charms, No Problem.
@Howard White
Was it her or was it him walking slow? She felt like it was a slower pace than usual. Though, Bloom was not going to mind all that much. It just meant a longer period of time in his arm, which did make her mind flutter a bit. She had never really snuggled against someone like this since Ben during her first year at Hogwarts. Even then it was a childish "romance", if that was what it could have been called. She wondered that now she was sixteen, what that meant for boys. Did it still mean holding hands and walking around or did it have higher and maturer expectations? So many questions rattled in her mind about what would be next steps, if next steps were to ever occur between them.
With her other hand, Bloom placed some of the stray strands of hair behind her ear, feeling uncomfortable with the thought of the future. She could feel an inch of sadness about his inability to stay in the muggle world. He was right. He would be looked at as different and muggles were not caring about those who were drastically different from them.
"At least you have two subjects that you know you'll pass!" she said with a sad laugh. "I don't even know my strengths," she shrugged, grasping his arm a little tighter from the thought. Bloom never tried in her studies. So she had no idea what she wanted to be when she graduated, therefore, not knowing what subject to put effort into. Her sisters were both great at Charms and Transfiguration-- two subjects that Bloom couldn't even successfully conduct on the first day of school.
"Don't settle so quickly," she whispered loud enough for him to hear. "You never know what opportunities are out there for you, even if you don't think there would be. I mean, unless you do want to be a farmer?" she questioned him, her eyebrows perked up in curiosity.
Her eyes went from scanning Howard to seeing the mannequins that were showing off fashion styles of a nearby store. They were absolutely hideous in their own right. How could someone wear that on the street? It was avant-garde. It was hard to explain. She couldn't help but to chuckle at them. "Our uniforms should look like that," she joked.
Taking a deep breath in, Bloom thought hard about Howard's question. "I've seen a difference of job opportunities you can get in the muggle world versus the wizarding world. I think there's more growth opportunities in wizarding jobs...," she shrugged. "I don't know, but my mum has been working the same job over and over again and she never has had the ability to do more. My dad works for the Ministry, which has a lot of upward mobility," she said. "So at least I know that much."
Stamina - 10| Evasion - 11| Strength - 10| Wisdom - 11| ArcPower - 10 | Accuracy - 11
7 Apr 2022, 04:03
No Spells, No Charms, No Problem.
@Bloom Silverton
"True." Howard replied with a bit of a shrug. He supposed it was a benefit to have a couple of subjects that he was excelling at and interested in. Whether he could turn either of them into a career was yet to be seen, but at least he something to go on. It seemed to be a struggle in both worlds as the almost adults began to sweat on what they would do after school. At least the Muggles often had the choice of college or university to help figure things out. The stray thought would enter his mind as he wondered why there was no option like that in the wizarding world. To start a career at 17 just seemed too young. Fortunately Bloom's squeeze against his arm would help keep his mind in the present. Who cared about careers when he had a girl like her by his side. "You'll figure it out."
Howard's own advice would echo in Bloom's words as she encouraged him not to worry about choosing too quickly. Life did have a way of falling into place. Though he could see himself working the land and taking care of animals, there was no telling how many options could come from interested like that. "I dunno. I mean, I guess I could see myself doing that, but you're right. No need to focus on just one thing. Plenty of things to do with plants and animals. Maybe a vet or..." Another thought crossed his mind that he had never thought of before. "Holy shit. Do wizards have zoos?!" He would chuckle at his own thought. A magical zoo sounded both thrilling and terrifying. "Could be a touch dangerous, yeah?"
Howard's laughter would continue as they passed the clothing store. "I remember my first year when they had us get the uniform. Couldn't believe they wanted me to wear a robe." It did come as quite a shock for the muggle born. Who the hell wore robes outside the house anyways?! However, since then he had grown quite accustomed to it and even came to rather enjoy wizarding fashion. Surely anything was better than what they were currently looking at in the fashion store. "We'll have to present whatever that is to Headmaster Lear and the Heads of House. It'll be a piece o' cake."
Howard tried to shake any thoughts of the future, but he couldn't help but wonder what Bloom might choose to do. If he were ever to return to the Muggle world, would there ever be a partner that might come with him. It was a heavy thought, but one he wanted to poke at. Bloom did bring up a valid point however. With the idea of careers it would seem that the wizarding world may offer more stability. Both of them shared a similar upbringing. Enough to get by, but not much else after that. Howard did want more. A chance to thrive and prosper, to move past the lower class. The jingle of gold galleons in his pocket suddenly became much more apparent. "Yeah. You're not wrong. Could go a bit further on the wizarding side of things. Still gotta figure out a way to turn in galleons for muggle cash. Think of the exchange rate on that!" Howard joked to get off such serious subjects.
It would seem that the conversation was fitting however as he looked around the mall. As much fun as it was dipping back into the old ways there was now a pull to head back. Not to mention he could show her a proper time with the gold he had saved up from the allowance Hogwarts offered. "Ya know. Speaking of galleons. I got a pocket full of 'em itchin' to be spent. What would you say to a scoop from Florean's? We aren't too far from Diagon if you're up for it."
