☼ SPECIES: Human

━━━━━━━━━ BASICS ━━━━━━━━━

☼ HEIGHT: 4'8"
EYES: Green
HAIR: Blonde
NATIONALITY: Scottish
HOMETOWN:Killin, Scotland

━━━━━━━━━ APPERANCE ━━━━━━━━━

Similarly to her brother, Orla sports a head of blonde curls and waves, often dishelved from her adventures. A sprinkle of freckles dusts over her nose and cheeks from all the time spent outside with her mother and father. Bright, jade green eyes light up with excitement for just about anything. She's rather short for her age group, something her parents could've predicted from birth, but despite her smaller stature, she's bound and determined to be just as physically capable as her classmates.

━━━━━━━━━ PERSONALITY ━━━━━━━━━
Bright eyed, kind, and on fire with curiosity, Orla has a natural sort of warmth to her presence. Even at her young age, she has an incredible gift of being able to speak to anyone, anywhere, at anytime. Perhaps that is a bit dangerous, but for the most part, it has come in handy for the young witch. She believes in the goodness in all people, regardless of their status or creed. There is a bit of nativity to Orla because of that. She did not experience much cruelty from muggle children growing up and was only lightly reprimanded from her parents, making it so that she has not yet come to see that some folks are a bit less kind than others.

More than anything... Orla Finch is one stubborn girl. If she gets her eyes set on someone, there is no stopping her from becoming their friend, discovering their secrets, or until her interest dies out. She is painfully stubborn at times, a trait that was most definitely passed down by her mother. She believes in honesty, truth, and fairness above all. If she sees these things being taken advantage of... Well, you'd better watch out, because this outspoken Hufflepuff will have no problem confronting you about it.

While Orla does fancy a chat most days, she also has a bad habit of people watching. Fascinated by all sorts of people, she will just... watch.. or listen. Observing and absorbing the information she hears. It's a bad habit, of course, but she can't help herself. Observation is the key to finding fun, after all!
━━━━━━━━━ HISTORY ━━━━━━━━━

The Finch's

Reducio
Ruth Spence always had it good. Born into a family of pure-blooded wizards that ran down the line, the young woman was blessed with the top education and a leg up in the Wizarding World even before she’d gotten her letter from Hogwarts. She showed an excellent aptitude for magic of all kinds as a baby. She swaddled herself when she’d been unwrapped as a baby, managed to get her toys down from high places when she toddler, and smacked her siblings with twigs when she was a bit older. Ruth was the ideal student for Hogwarts and she was the perfect child.

Mostly.

Ruth Spence was a bit of a wild child when it came to things. Once she’d grown out of her perfect child phase, she became far more rambunctious. She had a curiosity like fire in a dry field. It caught everything around it and burned it till there was nothing left but ash behind. This fire is what spurred her all throughout school. She had a fire for learning, for spells and potions, and for transfiguration. Arithmancy she excelled at, she could’ve practically taught Herbology, and most other skills came naturally to the woman.

She did all of the things whilst still managing to get up to no good.

Ruth’s time at Hogwarts was as ordinary as it could be, albeit memorable for the woman and those she made friends with along the way. She could only recall the good from her years at Hogwarts and once she’d returned to start her career, she found herself becoming progressively more bored with everyone around her.

It was so posh and clean and neat. Even the greenhouse she worked in seemed too neat, considering the herbologists that worked there worked with dirt and all sorts of messy things that should’ve been seen in their day-to-day. Living life like this, without fire, and without fun, just would not do for Ruth Spence.

And as it was… Ruth Spence had always wanted to live among muggles. It was doable, considering her profession. Wasn’t too difficult for a woman who grew plants for a living! Hell, she could’ve run her own greenhouse from her home… Which is exactly what she did. Ruth Spence packed her bags and moved from the big city of London to a tiny town in Scotland with a population of 650.

Killin Scotland became her new home.

The little town, however small, was filled with so many exciting avenues for the witch. There were so many things to learn, things to see, people to meet. She had new horizons, and she had a new environment she couldn’t wait to delve into. Sure, she was miles away from her family, in a place that was strange and foreign to her, but to Ruth, there was nothing more exciting than that. Adventure was practically spelled out in that…

Louie Finch, on the other hand, was quite plain. Plain and muggle-born. He’d been gifted with magics which caused quite the trouble when he was a child. He’d been from a large family, a family of almost nine children, all of which were rambunctious and loud. Louie, on the other hand, was a quiet, awkward, and wallflower of a child. He had always preferred reading to playing sports like his brothers. Researching was far more intriguing than an outing into the city. Even in his years at Hogwarts, Louie remained relatively plain… Quiet, in the background, smart enough not to draw attention to himself.

With no desire (and no connections) to stay in the Wizarding World, he returned back home, where he established Killin’s only remaining bookstore.

Finch’s Books and Library for the Common Folk.

He loved the bookstore. Not only could the man live in his hometown, but he also could spend every day around the things he loved most. He collected muggle books, he indulged in magical books once in a while, and he made a meek living off of the town of Killin and their limited interest in books and stuff. Life was static until a wild-haired blonde woman came barreling into his shop one day.

━━━

Ruth was frazzled. She’d come running from a potion gone wrong, with a coating of soot around her face, and tainting her hair. But she was thrilled. Chemistry in the muggle world was something unlike she’d ever experienced. She was panting, out of breath and heart racing, attempting to soothe her burning lungs which begged for air and a break.

Louie was also frazzled, only, Ruth was the cause of his disturbance. “Em, miss…?” He stammered out, eyes wide as he observed the woman. She was striking, even in this disheveled state. Ruth threw a finger up, indicating to give her one more moment.

“Books…” She managed out, finally straightening herself up as she pat her chest. “Books?” Louie repeated back and looked around, before offering a nervous smile. “Well, we certainly have ‘em.” He said, forcing himself to laugh.

A wild grin spread over Ruth’s face. It was a charming, beautiful smile, one that could’ve knocked Louie over if it tried. “Not to worry, mate, I know you’ve got books.”

“Right, of course.”

Ruth Spence was an enigma that took Louie by storm unlike anything in his life. That fated encounter turned his world upside down forever…
Their friendship-- and eventual romance--blossomed.
Louie was enamored with Ruth. She was spontaneous and bold and courageous and wild. He made Louie feel alive and brave. She made him realize life was so much more than the spine of a book, but the words... She made life seem like it was bright and filled with wonder-- And he soon realized it was. Completely fallen in love, Ruth married the muggle and soon enough, the two were with child… That child, however, was not Orla.

Caspian Finch was born May 1st of 2009 to Ruth and Louie and one year later, Orla Finch was born on the 4th of May, 2010.

Orla Finch, Before

Reducio
Orla Finch was a particularly small child. Weighing in at 5 pounds, 6 ounces at birth, her parents were a bit worried she wouldn’t make it… Especially in comparison to her older brother Caspian, who weighed nearly 9 pounds when he was born. The nurses at the Killin hospital goggled over her for days as she stayed in the hospital.

“Oh Mrs. Finch! She has the loveliest eyes!”

“Mrs. Finch, what a beautiful baby!”

Mrs. Finch wasn’t too much for being overcrowded with onlookers and after about three days she stormed out of the hospital with Orla on her teat and a worried Louie running after her with Caspian in his arms. “Ruth!” Cried Louie, holding onto her bags and onto Caspian. Hardly able to carry both of them and chasing after his wife who looked like she’d just escaped from the hospital was a task in itself. “Hold on, darling! Shouldn’t we wait for the doctors to discharge you.”

“Absolutely not! One more moment of cooing and I might’ve lost it, Lou!” She shook her head and let out a hearty laugh, one that infectiously caught onto Caspian. “Besides, I’m a strong woman. Now, let’s get home before they wonder where I’ve gone.”

“Ruth… You didn’t tell anyone--”

“Get your rear in the car before I drive us home. I’ve got Asphodel to harvest today.”

And so Ruth and Louie took Orla home after three days in the hospital.

━━━

Unlike some, Orla had an extraordinarily loving home. Her family was warm, they were loving and while they were a bit kooky at times, they had only the best intentions for both her and Caspian. While Ruth was a more relaxed parent, Louie made up for her laxness with all of the worrying he did for the both of them.

“Their diapers, Ruth!”

“Already changed, Lou.”

“The pacifier is on the floor, Ruth…”

“And there’s a clean one in her mouth, Lou…”

“Where are the children, Ruth!?”

“In bed, Lou, like they were an hour ago…”

Lou had been incredibly anxious about being a father. He never doubted Ruth, but rather doubted himself. His constant worry was a result of his insecurity as a parent, and Ruth, better than anyone else, understood that and forgave him for his nagging and incessant reminders. Ruth and Louie loved their children fiercely and wonderfully, and nothing would get in the way of that and nothing would get in the way of making their children's childhoods filled with wonder and fun.

━━━

Caspian began showing signs of magical aptitude at a young age, unlike Orla. Similarly to his mother, her began to exhibit signs of being a powerful wizard before the age of five, much to the delight of his parents and to the disdain of a confused and frustrated Orla.

She’d been surrounded by magic her entire life, she had two magical parents, she knew she could do it! But why couldn’t she!? Why couldn’t she just do something magical? Frustrated was a minute word to describe the pure amount of emotion she felt each time Caspian would accidentally affect Ruth’s plants or break a plate when he was angry out of pure emotional energy.

Orla was a jealous child at times, watching as her brother progressed without her, watching as he received his letter to Hogwarts before her, watching as he began to distance himself from her with his magical knowledge.

━━━

“Perhaps… Perhaps she does not possess magic…” Louie said in a hushed voice. This was two years prior to Caspian’s letter from Hogwarts. Orla was only eight years old at the time. “Perhaps.. She is a Wizard-born muggle--” Ruth took hold of Louie’s arm, shaking her head. Her upset was clear, something unusual for the cheerful woman. “Do not speak like that, Lou. Orla is… She is simply a late bloomer, like you, I just know it.”

Louie let out a sigh, looking out the kitchen window. Something was heavy on his mind. “I was six, Ruth. She is eight… What if she never gets it?”

“We still have time. She still has time…”

Orla shifted back, knocking something off the counter and alerting both of her parents to her presence. They were spooked, startled by the sudden commotion. Ruth’s heart plunged to her stomach when she saw the sight of the child standing in the backlit doorway to the kitchen.

“Sweetheart--” Before the words even got off the lips of, Orla had turned on her heels, running to her room and sealing herself away. What if her father was right? What if she was a muggle? What would happen to her? Would she be cast out from her family?! Would she be put up for adoption?!?

━━━

(work in progress)

━━━━━━━━━ ACCIDENTAL MAGIC ━━━━━━━━━

Reducio
As most mischief is, not all mischief can be the safest of things...

And the things Orla, Soren, Sara, and Lee did were often quite dangerous. They found this out sooner rather than later the summer of Year 4...

"You won't believe what I found in my mum's library!" Soren had clutched very tightly in his hands and folded up pieces of paper. His mother was a historian that traveled to Glasow almost every other week for work purposes. This was one of the weeks she was away. The four children sat in Soren's backyard, eagerly awaiting for Soren to reveal what he had found. Dramatic, as always, but theatrical nonetheless.

"Well? What is it?" Lee said, sitting on the edge of his seat. "Hurry on with it!"

Soren grinned wildly and cleared his throat, beginning to unfold the map which looked older than all of them combined. The three opposite of Soren all looked rather... confused. "Em... What is it exactly?" The meek Sara asked what they all were thinking. Soren looks displeased by this. "It's a map!" The three squinted their eyes, tilted their head, and gasped.

"Oi! I see it!" Orla pointed. "Those little squiggles! And the inkblots--" She said excitedly, looking at the other two which still didn't seem to be able to decipher the ancient-looking map. "A map too... to where?" Sara asked, finally looking up at Soren. The dark-headed boy shrugged his shoulders. "'Dunno! Somewhere in South Killin though."

"And let me guess..." She sighed softly and knowingly... "We're going to find it?"

"RIGHT!" Soren and Orla chanted together. They were always in sync somehow. Sometimes Sara wondered if they could've been cousins had it not been for their drastically different features. "I'm in!" Lee cheered. The three onboard looked to Sara expectantly, impatiently, and eagerly awaiting her yes.

"...Fine... But my mum will kill me if I'm not back for dinner, okay?"

And so the four of them set off to find the treasure they expected to be at the end of the map. The map was quite old, parchment that seemed from far beyond even their parent's times. The ink was fading thanks to sun and time, but it was very clearly a map that was leading to something. An inked, faded, red 'X' was scrawled somewhere in the Southern part of the town...

As it was, they did not find it on day one, finally turning in and heading home when Sara begged them to head back. But heading back did not mean giving up... Orla had convinced Soren to allow her to borrow the map to study it... And so she did, all night, curled up beneath her covers with a flashlight on the map, looking for anything that would give them a clue. She had probably memorized the map by the time they went out exploring the next day and the day after that.

It took Soren and Orla a whole week to find it.

By that point, Lee and Sara had agreed they were too tired to continue this escapade and so Orla and Soren continued by themselves.

Finally, they figured out where the map was detailed... An old mine shaft in the Southern part of Killin, far on the edge of town and down a dead-end road. Had they had more common sense, they would've stopped with Lee and Sara but they were over eager 8-year-olds with no sense of danger...

And so they entered, one flashlight, barely three hours of daylight remaining, and a hunger for their prize...

"And then we take a left?" Orla asked as she shifted the map under the flashlight. "Here!" Soren said, taking a sharp left and before she knew it, he was crying out in panic. Heart dropping to the pit of her stomach, Orla snapped her head up, eyes going wide. "Soren!" She cried, quickly rushing to him. The boy hadn't watched where he was going and ended up on a ledge, hanging on for dear life, with only Orla, a dying flashlight, and a stupid map to help them. "Help me!" The boy cried, holding onto the warped rails that held him up. They were shifting beneath even his lightweight.

Orla was panicking, mind racing, and going a million miles an hour. "Just... Just hold on! I'll.. I'll get you out!" She said frantically, holding her arm out to him. She let out a cry of strain, trying to pull the larger boy up to no avail. She tried again, only becoming more and more frustrated. On her third pull, she felt something through her entire body-- electricity, excitement, adrenaline-- and on a one, two, heave, the girl managed to pull her friend up.

She hadn't a clue what came over her to possess the strength to do such a task, after all, Soren was a bit big for their age and Orla was not... Once she revealed this to her parents, however, all became clear... It was magic. Accidental, underaged, wandless magic and her first sign she was a witch. It was that instance, that inexplicable, strange, instance that caught Quill of Acceptance and Book of Admittance's attendance.

Last edited by Orla Finch on 5 Apr 2022, 18:34, edited 3 times in total.

Orla S. Finch

9 Nov 2021, 17:56
Orla Finch | First Year | Hufflepuff
━━━━━━━━━ ROLEPLAYS ━━━━━━━━━
☀︎complete ☉abandoned ☼ active
FIRST YEAR
Reducio
Fall
Through Highlands Never Ventured - Hogwarts Express
"First... Try Talking." - Grounds
Last edited by Orla Finch on 14 Nov 2021, 05:08, edited 3 times in total.

Orla S. Finch

9 Nov 2021, 18:22
━━━━━━━━━ RELATIONSHIPS ━━━━━━━━━
FAMILY
Ruth Finch
━━✶━━

Reducio
"Mum please!"

"This girl right here is the brightest, smartest, kindest, most wonderful lass here! You better believe it! She's about to blow your Wizarding Hats off, make you wish you could be half as good as this girl!"

"Mum please... You're embarrassing me! You didn't do this to Caspian..."

"That's cause that boy has an ego big enough for the whole family, my dear... Don't be afraid to cause some good trouble!"

Ruth Finch was always good to her daughter. Perhaps she babied her a bit too much, considering Orla was the first daughter in the family, or perhaps it was because Ruth had never been handled gently in her youth. Regardless, Ruth loves her child with her entire heart and more. And despite Orla's embarrassment at her mother's pride, she too loves her mother just as much.

Louie Finch
━━✶━━

Reducio
"Did you remember your wand?" Louie Finch asked for the thirteenth time that evening.

"Yes dad..."

"And your textbooks? You can't forget Garius Tomkink's--"

"Hogwarts, A History? We already marked it off the checklist dad. An hour ago."

The man let out a small chuckle, ruffling the blonde curls atop his daughters head. "Oh, you know me... I just get worried! You've never gone off for so long! Can't you forgive your dear old dad for worrying a bit?" Orla grinned up at the man, throwing her arms around him and nodding her head. "Ah, of course I can!"

Louie Finch was from a family of brothers and sisters, but he'd never experienced stress and worry like when having a daughter of his own. Louie had loads of stress when it came to raising his children. As a first time father, Caspian was a worry and even as a second time father, he swore he was going grey by the time Orla was three. He loved his children so much that he couldn't help but worry about their well being at every hour of the day... And right Caspian nearly everyday his first year at Hogwarts. Caspian made him swear not to do the same this year, or to Orla.
Last edited by Orla Finch on 5 Apr 2022, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.

Orla S. Finch

10 Nov 2021, 05:51
━━━━━━━━━FACE CLAIM ━━━━━━━━━
eleven to fourteen
fifteen to eighteen
mckenna grace
rebecca longendyke

Orla S. Finch