Tumbling Pages
|
|

Upon entering the library this morning, Solène experienced a rush of excitement at the vast collection made available to them. While she did need a book or two for studying, she mostly intended to borrow some books for personal research. However, the desire to mentally catalog the entire library took over rather quickly as she set her own books down on a table and slowly walked from shelf to shelf, reading the spines of every book she could, sometimes removing one from its place and putting it into a now ever-growing stack in her arms. After a couple of hours of this, she decided it was time to take a break. The library would be here all year, and looking at all the shelves in one day was an insurmountable task at best. This would need to be broken up between several days.
Instead, she would take the books she had found amongst the shelves and sign them out at the front desk with the librarian before walking toward the table with her things. Adding the new books to her personal collection made it quite the stack as she gathered them into her arms. While primarily a logical thinker, Solène was not the best at spatial awareness. It was something she needed to work on desperately, and the large stack of books that slightly impeded her vision would cause her to misjudge the turn around the corner after leaving the library. Her shoulder clipped the corner of the hallway, throwing her immediately off balance. She would stumble as she tried her best to clutch the books to her body, but an eleven-year-old girl just wasn’t a match for the impressive stack of books, and most of them went tumbling to the ground.
With a defeated sigh, she would offer an apology to anyone who looked bothered or hindered by her accident while stooping down to start the process of collecting her books and getting out of the way.
⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆ ENCY ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆ | Stamina 4 | Evasion 6 | Strength 2 | Wisdom 8 | ArcPower 10 | Accuracy 5 |
Abilities| Perfectionist
Tumbling Pages
"Whoa!"
Jeremy's mum always told him to look where he was going, especially while reading. Jeremy had always shaken the advice off. He was perfectly capable of navigating their whole house while reading, handling stairs, and that little step into the kitchen with ease. Not once had he ever tripped over an open shoelace, or a discarded toy, or any of the other things that his Mum and Dad always warned him about.
Unfortunately, one thing that his house was lacking was other children, which was something he hadn't accounted for. So while he was walking down the hallway reading about the Goblin Rebellions, he wasn't expecting a girl to come tumbling around the corner and books to drop onto the floor. He reacted too late, nearly dropping his own book and almost tripping over the fallen books, as the books she had dropped scattered even further from his accidental kick. "Oops, sorry, are you ok? I can help you," the Ravenclaw boy said quickly, bending down to help bundle up the books that the girl had dropped, trying to pick them up for her, making a small pile.
...Or at least he WAS doing that. As he reached for a red one, he saw the cover, and paused.
"Ooh, you have a book on wards and curse shields?" Jeremy asked, picking it up and inspecting the cover, which showed a very powerful looking wizard standing before a very terrifying looking array of probably-deadly lights.
"I wanted to read about those...My mum never let me have the advanced magic books - she always said I would try them," he said, flicking through the pages while crouched on the floor, forgetting about the books, most of which were still on the floor, and his own book which had been discarded to the side.
"I heard that Hogwarts has some of the most powerful wards that were ever created. Does it say anything about those in here?" he asked her, looking up from the ground.
Jeremy's mum always told him to look where he was going, especially while reading. Jeremy had always shaken the advice off. He was perfectly capable of navigating their whole house while reading, handling stairs, and that little step into the kitchen with ease. Not once had he ever tripped over an open shoelace, or a discarded toy, or any of the other things that his Mum and Dad always warned him about.
Unfortunately, one thing that his house was lacking was other children, which was something he hadn't accounted for. So while he was walking down the hallway reading about the Goblin Rebellions, he wasn't expecting a girl to come tumbling around the corner and books to drop onto the floor. He reacted too late, nearly dropping his own book and almost tripping over the fallen books, as the books she had dropped scattered even further from his accidental kick. "Oops, sorry, are you ok? I can help you," the Ravenclaw boy said quickly, bending down to help bundle up the books that the girl had dropped, trying to pick them up for her, making a small pile.
...Or at least he WAS doing that. As he reached for a red one, he saw the cover, and paused.
"Ooh, you have a book on wards and curse shields?" Jeremy asked, picking it up and inspecting the cover, which showed a very powerful looking wizard standing before a very terrifying looking array of probably-deadly lights.
"I wanted to read about those...My mum never let me have the advanced magic books - she always said I would try them," he said, flicking through the pages while crouched on the floor, forgetting about the books, most of which were still on the floor, and his own book which had been discarded to the side.
"I heard that Hogwarts has some of the most powerful wards that were ever created. Does it say anything about those in here?" he asked her, looking up from the ground.
Tumbling Pages
|
|

“You sound a lot like me.” They seemed to have something in common, because she was fairly certain her family kept her away from more advanced material because there was a small guarantee she would attempt the spells within. Still, Solène knew her limits and wasn’t willing to do anything that would openly bring shame to her family.
Solène finished collecting the last of the books and had even moved the boy’s book closer to her pile, so it remained out of the center of the hallway. “It touches base on wards that I suspect are a part of the complicated makeup of Hogwarts’ defenses, but it doesn’t rightly say one way or another.” Which was rather unfortunate for inquiring minds, but a strategically sound decision she respected.
Now that the books were taken care of and this seemed to be turning into an interesting conversation, Solène crossed her legs and sat more comfortably on the floor. “Thank you for the help. I’m Solène d'Estienne.” A sincere thank you, with a hand offered in greeting. “You can borrow that one if you’d like. I’ve read it twice already.”
⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆ ENCY ⋆⁺₊⋆ ☾⋆⁺₊⋆ | Stamina 4 | Evasion 6 | Strength 2 | Wisdom 8 | ArcPower 10 | Accuracy 5 |
Abilities| Perfectionist
Tumbling Pages
"Huh, oh I'm okay," Jeremy said, but once his nose was buried in the book he didn't look up, even as the girl began to gather the books off to the side of the hallway. Jeremy had forgotten that he'd been doing that, and so didn't notice as she even cleaned up his own book. Had Jeremy's mother seen him she would surely have scolded him, but he was too busy thinking about wards to realize. Just skimming through the book he could tell there was a lot of fascinating stuff in there, and wished he'd been faster at finding it and taking it out himself before somebody else did.
"Really?" Jeremy said, looking up, as the girl mentioned that he sounded a lot like she did. Maybe it was the curse of readers everywhere - too much learning meant too many ideas. "Yeah..." he said, "I got in trouble sometimes, but... it's not like I ACTUALLY got hurt or anything." he said, a little guiltily, because even he knew that he shouldn't have tried some of the things he did, like a few months ago, with Jo and the runes, and even more because he was only a little bit sorry.
It turned out that the book didn't have too much information about Hogwart's wards. "Oh..." he said, disappointed. "I guess it's probably cause they don't want people to learn about them, 'cause then they can just break in, right? He'd heard Hogwarts had had a problem with that over the years.
As Solène (as he would find out she was called) sat down with him, the two first-years remained on the floor of the hallway, the books neatly packed to the side, and Jeremy stuck out his hand. Even though he didn't much like shaking hands, he knew that it was the polite thing to do when you met somebody.
"Oh, that's a cool name. Does it have anything to do with the sun? I'm Jeremy. Really, I can borrow it, you mean it? Ooh cool! Oh...Do ya know if there's a limit on how many books you can take out from the library? 'Cause I don't know if there is, but I might have um...eight I think. And I don't know if borrowing from somebody else counts, but I don't wanna get banned. I don't think they REALLY ban you from reading too much, right? My sister said that, but she usually lies." and that sounded like just the kinda thing she would lie about.
"Oh, you can borrow my book on the Goblin Rebellions if you want..." he offered, "But it isn't very interesting."
Jeremy would be loathe to admit that as much as he read, he still struggled with reading dry history books above his age level. He didn't want to sound like a little kid, so he tried to read grown-up books when he could, but just because it was for grown-ups did it mean that they had to make it sound boring?
"Really?" Jeremy said, looking up, as the girl mentioned that he sounded a lot like she did. Maybe it was the curse of readers everywhere - too much learning meant too many ideas. "Yeah..." he said, "I got in trouble sometimes, but... it's not like I ACTUALLY got hurt or anything." he said, a little guiltily, because even he knew that he shouldn't have tried some of the things he did, like a few months ago, with Jo and the runes, and even more because he was only a little bit sorry.
It turned out that the book didn't have too much information about Hogwart's wards. "Oh..." he said, disappointed. "I guess it's probably cause they don't want people to learn about them, 'cause then they can just break in, right? He'd heard Hogwarts had had a problem with that over the years.
As Solène (as he would find out she was called) sat down with him, the two first-years remained on the floor of the hallway, the books neatly packed to the side, and Jeremy stuck out his hand. Even though he didn't much like shaking hands, he knew that it was the polite thing to do when you met somebody.
"Oh, that's a cool name. Does it have anything to do with the sun? I'm Jeremy. Really, I can borrow it, you mean it? Ooh cool! Oh...Do ya know if there's a limit on how many books you can take out from the library? 'Cause I don't know if there is, but I might have um...eight I think. And I don't know if borrowing from somebody else counts, but I don't wanna get banned. I don't think they REALLY ban you from reading too much, right? My sister said that, but she usually lies." and that sounded like just the kinda thing she would lie about.
"Oh, you can borrow my book on the Goblin Rebellions if you want..." he offered, "But it isn't very interesting."
Jeremy would be loathe to admit that as much as he read, he still struggled with reading dry history books above his age level. He didn't want to sound like a little kid, so he tried to read grown-up books when he could, but just because it was for grown-ups did it mean that they had to make it sound boring?