Once Upon A December

|
Taliesin smiled brightly. She'd never really had a friend before... well maybe Livia, but she wasn't sure if she counted since Taliesin wasn't even entirely sure if the other actually enjoyed being around her, or Taliesin was just exceptionally delusional. However, Iridia seemed to like being around her, and was outright asking to be friends; and that was more than Taliesin could have hope for tonight, "I would like that very much." she agreed, trying to contain her excitement. Wouldn't want to look desperate.
Taliesin cast her gaze in their families' direction, making sure they were still well out of ear shot, "My Nanny brings me Muggle books sometimes from town, but Mother and Father don't know that. They wouldn't approve. Muggles make up a lot of stuff, I think, but I don't mind it. She gave me a book for my 11th birthday called Anne of Green Gables, about an orphan girl who lived with an old brother and sister." That had been a favorite, and Taliesin suspected Nanny Morgan had picked that book out thinking her young charge would relate well to the titular character in a lot of ways. Maybe not so much the orphan part, but Anne was a homely, redheaded girl with too much imagination and perpetually half stuck in a daydream; and that much Taliesin could certainly relate to.
"I don't know that I have a favorite plant, but I love working on healing potions because they tend to be difficult. Everything has to be extra exact otherwise it won't work properly, and that could be very bad for whoever needs it." she explained, "Do you have a favorite magical creature?"
Taliesin wasn't entirely sure how to relate to the agony of poor dance conversation and the looming threat of marriage in relation to it. She'd never danced with anyone outside her own household beside her instructor. But she could imagine the subtle cross examination that might occur, being passed about like that from person to person, "Well that sound... absolutely horrid to be honest." Perhaps there was some silver lining to being plain and no one knowing who you're linked to. With some luck, she might be able to carry on her whole life without having to ensure such a thing, and might be able to establish herself as a permanent wallflower while her parents handle to the whole matchmaking mess.
"The girl who carried her last name like a burden..."
Once Upon A December
”Really? Do you think…well, do you think you could bring some back to hogwarts? I’d love to get my hands on some to read! I have been told muggles have stories called ‘fairy tales’, and i want to read some and see what they are about, apparently witches tend to be evil in them from what someone in HufflePuff told me..!”
Iridia spoke with slightly wide eyes at the thought of getting her hands of muggle books, although her eyes did gaze over at their parents as she made sure that their parents were still preoccupied and focused on their conversations, ones she was honestly glad she didn’t have to sit and listen to, especially when she knew how boring they could get. But she also made sure that to them, if they were to look over, the two were having civilised conversations about the Pureblood society they were in, and not about muggles or how to sneak in texts that their parents had forbade them from reading.
“Oh I absolutely adore Keazles! People just say they are glorified cats, but they are much smarter, and they make amazing companions, although I do not have one, I am hoping mother and father may let me get one soon, perhaps one I can bring with me to hogwarts.”
Iridia giggled a little at her reaction to the description she gave of the dancing that usually happened at these events, and Iridia couldn’t help but nod her agreement at her words, if was all horrifying, Iridia hated the dancing part to these events, she would rather be put to the side, honestly she wanted to make a mess of herself just so she wouldn’t be asked to dance this time around, but imagine the glare her mother would send her way, and the consequences she would get from her grandparents at home, Iridia decided she was better off dealing with the dancing.
“It is horrid, and I cannot begin to tell you the amount of times my toes have been stepped on, or someone had coughed in my face, I hope you do not have to endure any dances for your first event, it is certainly not enjoyable, well, unless you like to be asked questions about your social standing, but enough of that. What are you hoping to accomplish this year at hogwarts? I want to break a few rules if i can, without mother finding out, it is my chance to break away from my perfect picture.”
Iridia spoke, a slight frown in her words at the end, Iridia hated having to be perfect, something that she was far from being, even if to everyone in the room tonight she was indeed perfect, Iridia knew that no one was, no matter how hard they tried. Hogwarts was freedom, away from scrutinising gazes and her families stern eye, somewhere she could form her own path, and change the way she wanted to do things. In other words, she just wanted to do things her own way, and at the same time, she wanted to make her family proud, without having to be perfect, without having to show herself as the image society saw her as, that was all she wanted, and it was enough for her.@Taliesin Annwyn
If I fall, would anyone hear me?
Once Upon A December

|
Taliesin grinned, "Of course I can." It wasn't an everyday occurrence that someone was actually interested in reading Muggle books; at least not in her experience. Nanny was the only person she'd gotten to talk to about those kinds of things. Generally, Nanny Morgan was really the only person she could openly talk to about most things, especially if they were deemed 'improper' by Madame or Mother, "Just be prepared, Muggles get a lot of things wrong. They really don't understand much of anything magical, and they come up with a lot of very strange stories." she giggled.
Taliesin's experience with animals was minimal. She'd never grown up with pets because she wasn't deemed responsible enough to keep one clean and out of trouble, "I don't think I've ever met a keazles to know." she admitted sheepishly, "Mother doesn't really like the idea of an animal in the house, but I was promised I could get one over the summer if I did well this year. I haven't really thought about what I would get though."
The snake couldn't help but make a little face as her new friend recounted the horrors she'd experienced with her various dance partners. Yes, she'd decided it was emphatically better to be plain and anonymous and unpreferred at these kinds of things if that was what there was to look forward to. Such a shame really. Stories always made balls and dancing seem like such a terribly romantic affair when it reality it was a glorified interrogation with fancy footwork.
As Iridia went on to talk about her goal for the year, Taliesin couldn't help but feel a bit surprised. She hadn't pinned the other to want to be a proper rule breaker. Sure, they'd discussed sneaking books they weren't allowed to read and bemoaned the expectations of their station... but that was very different in Taliesin mind to breaking rules at school. Then again, Taliesin was also the girl who had turned into a full blown crybaby because she'd gotten lost and was a little late to class on their first day.
So if anything, Taliesin was constantly trying to be perfect at school. The concept of stepping out of line to purposefully spite that image felt blasphemous in a way she couldn't quite put to words; but she did recognize the tight, hot tangle it sparked in her chest. Granted, hadn't she technically already broken a couple rules? Not on purpose really, but it had happened. Like when she'd followed that boy into the Forbidden Forest. He'd also talked about how some kids disobeyed rules and expectations to spite their parents; and while Taliesin had been sure that was mostly a Muggle-Born or Untitled thing, he assured her that that wasn't the case. At the time, she wasn't quite sure she believed that. But maybe Iridia was a case for it.
Taliesin pressed her lips in a tight line, trying to think of what to say. Admonishing the other felt hypocritical and also she didn't want to already screw up her first real chance at a friend. Not to mention, she didn't want to come off as a stick-in-the-mud, "I-I guess I've already done that." she started tentatively, "I snuck into the forest with one of housemates to explore a bit..." not really the full truth of the event, but she was hardly going to admit that she followed him solely out of curiosity, and then proceeded to be a frightened mess crying to go home the entire time. No one likes being friends with a panicky crybaby.
"The girl who carried her last name like a burden..."
Once Upon A December
A wide grin appeared on her face when Taliesin agreed to bring some muggle books with her to hogwarts. Iridia was rather excited at the thought of getting to read some. While her own mother had scolded her when she spoke about them, saying that their history of burning witches meant that muggle books were just going to be hate about with and wizard crime, Iridia was not sure she believed that. From what she had heard some of her muggle housemates say, muggle storybooks had different genres, including things like science, and history of course, although Iridia knew that a lot of historical muggle figures had also secretly been witches of wizards, however there was no need to ruin that for the muggles at the school, especially when they seemed to look up to a lot of them.
”Thankyou so much! I am so very excited to read them, the thought of them has always fascinated me, and much more recently after listening to all my muggle housemates talk about them!. Oh! If you are to get a pet next year, I would certainly recommend a Keazle, they are incredibly smart and independent, but are also very affectionate and loyal to their owner, our old Keazle loved to sleep with me in my room and play outside with me, much to my grandparents dismay.”
She spoke, before she continued to listen intently to her new friend, while she kept her eyes wondering around the room. It was always good to keep your guard up, especially when it came around to Pureblood events, she could see people were watching the two, and she was covering them by smiling and nodding with an elegant politeness whenever eyes strayed their way, before she would turn back to her companion, a small grin on her face when she spoke of breaking a few rules already, and there was no ill intent or mock in her expression, just happiness and understanding.
”That’s brilliant! Hogwarts is a time for us to break free from our restraints you know? We should definitely hang around at Hogwarts, if our parents get along, I have a feeling we will be seeing eachother over the holidays too, mother and father love to invite other respectable houses over, and my grandparents particularly like to show me off as well, It’ll be fun i reckon!”
She said as she finished the rest of her pumpkin juice, and then grabbed another glass as she watched everyone mingle, a slight groan coming from her, in obvious annoyance as she wiggled in her dress, and at the same time, her hair changed colour, from the natural brown, to a light red, before it went back to normal as she glanced up at her hair, she had to keep it under control, mother would be furious otherwise. She huffed as she continued to wiggle in her dress. It was certainly elegant…maybe a bit over the top, she was obviously uncomfortable in it as she stretched the collar out, which was rather tight around her neck, and after a few seconds, she stopped, sighing in relief at the bit of room she had given herself to actually be able to move around and be comfortable in her dress.
“I do hope we can sit down soon, this will be going on for a few hours, and I do not want to be sat the whole time, although i suppose standing is better than dancing. Actually, if it is not imposing, but if there a dance, would you like to dance with me? It will get you away from anyone else, and maybe save me as well.”
@Taliesin Annwyb
If I fall, would anyone hear me?
Once Upon A December

|
She couldn't help but smile as Iridia went on about her pet Kneazle. They did sound terribly sweet and cuddly, and she would like something cuddly. Taliesin had been racking her brain forever trying to decide what she would like to have one day; though she was pretty sure she wanted something a bit smaller and easier to keep close and safe. Like a ferret or maybe a bunny. Kneazles were sort of big, comparatively, and she imagined it would be harder to keep track of them. Merlin forbid, she had the misfortune to get one that liked to get itself into trouble. Mother would have a fit if she got a creature that might try to claw up precious rugs or furniture in the house, "I think I might get a ferret, or maybe a bunny. Something I can keep in my pocket and keep close." she mused thoughtfully. After all, how much trouble could a creature get into if they were confined to her pocket?
Taliesin's eyes followed Iridia's, taking notice and finally remembering she really needed to keep in mind where she was. People we watching, actually watching, them. Probably wondering to themselves what two heirs to such prestigious houses might possibly get chattering about, especially if one of them was forgetting themselves and becoming too enthusiastic in the conversation. Somewhere in the room, she was sure her mother's hawk-like gaze was still burning into her, watching each failure and slip up.
The snake schooled herself, standing a little straighter, shoulders a little more square, calming her facial expressions. She really did not want to go home after this to an hour long lecture or something before bed. Iridia seemed completely in her element and in control though. Hardly showing a blink if she was uncomfortable or unsettled by stray attentions or judgements.
"I-I reckon so." she echoed, trying to find the center between maintaining a casual cadence and a formal appearance. Iridia did it so well, "I'm not sure what exactly my parents have planned for the remainder of the Holiday. I didn't even realize originally that they had plans for me to attend this." she admitted.
It took an obscene level of willpower, however, to keep her cool when she watched the girl's hair shift suddenly from its warm brown, to red and back again. Taliesin was still Taliesin, and she was sure her wide-eyed expression might've given her away as she questioned for a moment if she was going crazy or not. The only give away had been the momentary look Iridia had given to her own hair before she'd gone back to trying to get comfortable in the constraining dress.
She was only brought out from her thoughts, and possibly looking at the other girl far too hard then what would be considered proper, when Iridia started talking again, popping between the idea of finding a place to sit and enjoying a dance, "Oh! Um, y-yes. If there's a dance you'd like to do, I can dance." she bumbled through her answer, trying to will her face not to flush bright red, "Mother would probably be pleased to see my dance tutoring not go waste."
Reducio
OOC: apologies for this take eons and not being the best
I'm still working on getting back in the swing
"The girl who carried her last name like a burden..."
