OOC Let's Chat!

@Avery Gray
What do you mean the UK is cheaper than USA

Wis 9|Acc 8|Eva 7
Beware My Bite
Sta 5|Arc 5|Str 6

OOC Let's Chat!
Nick Jameson wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:14 @Avery Gray
What do you mean the UK is cheaper than USA
I didn’t say that. I was talking about American theme parks and how they used to be cheaper when I was a little kid.

Be the change you wish to see
in the world.

OOC Let's Chat!
Nick Jameson wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:14 @Avery Gray
What do you mean the UK is cheaper than USA
I don't know anything about the UK but I do know each state basically impose each of their taxes. We don't really have a unified cost of living. What might be cheap in North Carolina (US) might be expensive in New York (US). What might be cheap in London might be expensive in certain parts of Scotland.

Though, the UK does have national VAT (value added tax), national healthcare and more standardized pricing across the country, so it seems like it is cheaper I guess? Though neither countries are "universally" cheaper? It just depends on what you're buying, where you're living, and if the costs of living apply (income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, housing, utilities, food etc.)

I will say, there are times that I go to another place and be like - whoa it's cheaper!? But I think they balance it out (note: I think.) with taxes and costs of living in other areas that I am not directly seeing. Ex. I want to buy a uh plush from the store and it's only 5.99 with a 5% sales tax in the area I'm visiting, but back in my state, we have a sales tax that is like 10%. (technically speaking, my state is 7% for sales tax). That must mean property tax costs more, perhaps.

--
1000% THE LOCAL THEME PARK USED TO SELL TICKETS FOR 20 bucks! :( (this was also before they added season passes)

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind, we've gone too far. (Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles)
Clark

OOC Let's Chat!
Vladislav Liam Gunther wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:23
Nick Jameson wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:14 @Avery Gray
What do you mean the UK is cheaper than USA
I don't know anything about the UK but I do know each state basically impose each of their taxes. We don't really have a unified cost of living. What might be cheap in North Carolina (US) might be expensive in New York (US). What might be cheap in London might be expensive in certain parts of Scotland.

Though, the UK does have national VAT (value added tax), national healthcare and more standardized pricing across the country, so it seems like it is cheaper I guess? Though neither countries are "universally" cheaper? It just depends on what you're buying, where you're living, and if the costs of living apply (income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, housing, utilities, food etc.)

I will say, there are times that I go to another place and be like - whoa it's cheaper!? But I think they balance it out (note: I think.) with taxes and costs of living in other areas that I am not directly seeing. Ex. I want to buy a uh plush from the store and it's only 5.99 with a 5% sales tax in the area I'm visiting, but back in my state, we have a sales tax that is like 10%. (technically speaking, my state is 7% for sales tax). That must mean property tax costs more, perhaps.

--
1000% THE LOCAL THEME PARK USED TO SELL TICKETS FOR 20 bucks! :( (this was also before they added season passes)
We also have nicer weather

Wis 9|Acc 8|Eva 7
Beware My Bite
Sta 5|Arc 5|Str 6

OOC Let's Chat!
Vladislav Liam Gunther wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:23
Nick Jameson wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:14 @Avery Gray
What do you mean the UK is cheaper than USA
I don't know anything about the UK but I do know each state basically impose each of their taxes. We don't really have a unified cost of living. What might be cheap in North Carolina (US) might be expensive in New York (US). What might be cheap in London might be expensive in certain parts of Scotland.

Though, the UK does have national VAT (value added tax), national healthcare and more standardized pricing across the country, so it seems like it is cheaper I guess? Though neither countries are "universally" cheaper? It just depends on what you're buying, where you're living, and if the costs of living apply (income taxes, property taxes, sales taxes, housing, utilities, food etc.)

I will say, there are times that I go to another place and be like - whoa it's cheaper!? But I think they balance it out (note: I think.) with taxes and costs of living in other areas that I am not directly seeing. Ex. I want to buy a uh plush from the store and it's only 5.99 with a 5% sales tax in the area I'm visiting, but back in my state, we have a sales tax that is like 10%. (technically speaking, my state is 7% for sales tax). That must mean property tax costs more, perhaps.

--
1000% THE LOCAL THEME PARK USED TO SELL TICKETS FOR 20 bucks! :( (this was also before they added season passes)
I'm from the UK and let me tell you, we are nowhere as cheap as we used to be when it came to things to do.

It's become way too expensive to live here. Even groceries have become an absolute fortune to buy. We've been stuck in a period of austerity for years and it'll keep going for years more to come :sad:

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained".
PC = Emily Shephard

OOC Let's Chat!
@Casey Stone Tourists?

Yeahh... I think that's why everything has gone up here in this town. I live in a tourist town :(

In my mind and in my car, we can't rewind, we've gone too far. (Video Killed The Radio Star - The Buggles)
Clark

OOC Let's Chat!
Vladislav Liam Gunther wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:32 @Casey Stone Tourists?

Yeahh... I think that's why everything has gone up here in this town. I live in a tourist town :(
it must be so weird living in a touristy area. imagine i've like visited that tourist town (i haven't but imagine). i could've, you know, walked by you without realising (you would've probably fainted upon seeing my grace and beauty).

𝐭𝐨 𝐛𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐬𝐞, 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐬𝐭 𝐛𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐭𝐮𝐩𝐢𝐝

OOC Let's Chat!
Vladislav Liam Gunther wrote: 18 Feb 2026, 13:32 @Casey Stone Tourists?

Yeahh... I think that's why everything has gone up here in this town. I live in a tourist town :(
Yes and no I'd say. Don't get me wrong, we're pretty touristy (God knows why though, there's nothing here), although our government has completely botched our spending money over the last two decades in particular which has now resulted in a cost of living crisis for this day and age.

"Nothing ventured, nothing gained".
PC = Emily Shephard

OOC Let's Chat!
The entire city I live in is KNOWN for touristy destinations I'm not telling u the country cause then it gives away my location since its a small country

Shop
I'm not weird. I'm limited edition.
Ency

OOC Let's Chat!
Hello! My city isn't a huge tourist-y place, but it is near my country's capital, so pretty expensive to live here! I live in a more suburban part though, which is good because I don't like places that are too crowded!

~Rosalyn Willows, Second Year Slytherin~
~Ency~Garden~Profile~
|Sta~6|Eva~4|Str~7|Wis~7|Arc~6|Acc~5|