Feeding the crows

@Lark Flaer

"I don't even mind, not being closer. If they were tame and would sit on your shoulder or tolerate being petted, they would lose a lot of what I love about them. Their independence, for example." For a brief moment, Flac looked down to the feeding crows, breaking up his serious thoughts with a quick smile. "Even, if it looks, like they depend on us students anyway. Probably their whole diet is students talking to them while they get some leftovers."

Leaving Flac alone would have been alright by him, but he did not mind the company. As soon as he was alone his grief would show again and he could gladly do without that. The message, that grief was natural and not a sign of weakness had not yet reached Flac.

"Oh, I am... wait a second." Quickly, the young wizard pulled on his yellow and black scarf. "Now you see, right? I'm a Hufflepuff." He thought about it shortly. "I guess, my mother prefers Slytherin, but she and my dad are happy for me anyway. At least they wrote it into the letter." For a moment, he thought about it, seemingly starring at Lark's face in the process, even though he just looked without seeing, with his thoughts being far away.

Fly like a crow
Feeding the crows
»»————- ✼ @Flac Flintshire ✼  ————-««
What Flac had stated about the nature of the creatures staying... wild, made Lark think for a moment. He was right, there was something wonderful about watching even a bird be free with itself. Although she still admitted to enjoying the company of the more brave animals that would risk getting close enough to the girl.

"Oh, I am... wait a second."

Lark watched as he pulled on his scarf, she had missed it before. The yellow gold catching her eye now. Offering the bag to Flac in case he wanted to toss out some feed as well, Lark gave a nod. "That's good then that they were happy about it. I know some of my friends seem stressed 'bout their house placements an' how their family feels." She bit at her lip once more, a bad nervous habit. "I can't imagine my parents bein' angry with me for something like that... I'd have to have 'em mad at me no matter what it was about." One of her biggest fears, being a disappointment. So far she had managed to keep in line with her parent's wishes, granted Lark felt compared to other stories she heard of families, they were pretty accepting.

"I mean... we can only be who we are, right?" Lark stretched her legs out in front of her, boots digging into the snowy ground. "So you're eh... from ah magical family then?" Not that she wanted to pry too deep into Flac's personal business but a part of her wanted to get to know the boy better.

Last edited by Lark Flaer on 20 Jan 2020, 04:54, edited 1 time in total.

Stam: 4 - Ev: 6 - Str: 3 - Wis: 5 - AP: 7 - Acc: 5
In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.
Feeding the crows
"Yes, I've heard of that, too. It seems crazy, though. I mean, every house stands for qualitys most parents would what their child to value and also every house is known to encourage specific character flaws. Which one a student gets put in should not be used to represent the student or even the family of the student, right?" He shook his head. "Anyway, I am glad my family doesn't think like this." He took a handful of bird food out Lark's bag and slowly opened his hand to let it fall to the ground, where the crows immediately started to pick furiously.

"Yes, magic has run in my family for centuries. Maybe you have heard of another branch of my family tree, the Flints. There was one in Hogwarts rather recently. Got to be Quidditch captain of Slytherin if I remember correctly. Never met him in person, though." As he never met any of the Flints Flac was not aware, how lucky he was to have some distance to these relatives.

"How about you? You are not new to the magical world either, are you?" He then guessed. He thought he remembered her talking about the Hogwarts house of her father and concluded, that she was at least wizard born. But he did not knew the magical surnames of Ireland, so she could be a pure blood as well. He waited for her answer unusually excited, not, because he cared for her blood status, but because he wanted to know wether his theory was right.

Fly like a crow
Feeding the crows
»»————- ✼ @Flac Flintshire ✼  ————-««
Lark was glad that it sounded as if Flac's family was very accepting. It seemed to be a rarity in Hogwarts with many of their other peers, which was unfortunate. So far she hadn't run into anyone she really disliked or found to be the complete opposite of their house. She watched him carefully, her eyes studying the boy as they shifted from a gold to darker green color. Getting to just sit and spend some quiet time talking about anything other than studies was always a welcomed conversation for the girl. Not that she didn't enjoy her studies but lately her brain felt a bit like mush from studying.

"Flints..." Lark shrugged feeling a bit embarrassed. She hadn't heard the name and with how she lived back home up until Hogwarts hardly new many other Wizarding families. "Wow Quidditch Captain! I'm actually on Ravenclaw's team." She smiled at the thought, still not feeling real to the girl that she had barely learned to control a broom and then was on the team. "W..well... " Another blush. "Reserve Keeper but... still. It is fun just ta be part ah' the team." She tossed another helping of feed to a couple of crows who picked at one another over the small pile of treats.

"My parents are both from magical families." Shifting in her seat she thought for a moment. So far she had grown up thinking she had been Pureblood but... learning she was a Metamorphmagi meant that was no longer true. Not that it seemed to change much, little did she know it truly had. "My Ma's family, Irewynd, are Purebloods." She shifted her position to get more comfortable.

"Are you a Pureblood?" She winced a bit and instantly wished she hadn't asked. That probably was a little too forward. "Ssorry." Turning back to face the birds in front of them, Lark felt her cheeks flush. "I just... I know many of 'em don't like Muggles or anythin'."



Stam: 4 - Ev: 6 - Str: 3 - Wis: 5 - AP: 7 - Acc: 5
In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.
Feeding the crows
"I have to confess, that I am a bit jealous. Congrats, reserve keeper of Ravenclaw!", Flac grinned, as he jokingly patted her on the back, hoping she would not snap at him because of the contact. "Maybe some day I will join my house team as well. But I will probably try to become a chaser."

He listend carefully, picking up on the little pause but not commenting it. "Irewynd... I can't tell, wether I heard of them before. But I have never met one, thats for sure." The short boy thought about it a little more, but did not find another information in his head. History of magic seemingly drained his brain of every knowledge beyond dates and wizard wars.

The next question was hard to answer. Well, from a factual standpoint, it was not. But Flac was not to eager to be put in a box with the stereotypical pure-blood. "Yes, I am.", he started carefully, "well, that is, if there was no recent infidelity." He hoped, the joke would show, how little he cared about his blood status. Still, he wanted to Mae sure, Lark did not have a chance to conclude he hated muggleborns or anything similar. "I am not one of those pure bloods, who think they are nobility, just because their ancestors were allegedly wizards from the beginning of time. My parents are like this though, I guess."

Fly like a crow
Feeding the crows
»»————- ✼ @Flac Flintshire ✼  ————-««
Lark let out another laugh. "Don't be jealous... honestly.." She gave a sigh thinking of sitting on the bench. Sure it was nice to be a part of the team and cheer on the others, but a part of her wondered if she would ever be good enough to actually play. "That would be exciting! I don't think I would be good at Chaser... it seems pretty intense." Lark thought of having to be in the midst of Bludgers and immediately a bead of sweat formed on her forehead.

A small breath escaped Lark as Flac mentioned not being part of the awful stereotypical mindset Purebloods often held onto. "It just is a shame y'know.. I've met a lot ah' wonderful friends who 'ave a Muggle family." Holding a hand out to one of the crows, Lark let it peck at the small dried grubs resting in the palm of her hand. He had a small tuft of feathers sticking up on one of his shoulders, more distinguishable from the others. During the Summer Lark had sort of bonded with this particular crow and named him Quill. She hadn't seen him recently and often he wouldn't come around when others were, sort of a solo flier. Though to Lark he was the most handsome crow and had been one of the few to listen to her ramblings over Summer-camp and the start of the year.

"So Flac.." Lark gently rubbed at the back of Quill's head. "A more serious question.." She turned to look at the boy. "Have you eaten lunch yet?" A small smile twisting onto her lips as she tried to keep a straight face.


Stam: 4 - Ev: 6 - Str: 3 - Wis: 5 - AP: 7 - Acc: 5
In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.
Feeding the crows
"Don't belittle your achievements. The Ravenclaw team is pretty strong and even being in the reserve means you are a better keeper than most of your house, right?" Flac was not even trying to cheer Lark up, he was honestly impressed that a first year student was already in the team of his house. In the same spirit he thought about the different positions. "I think, being keeper is more challenging, actually. I mean, there is only one Quaffle to be aware of, but as a keeper you have to guard three goals at ones, right?"

He shrugged, then explained: "I have mostly no idea, who has which blood status. And I don't care, for the most part. But there are wonderful Muggles in my hometown. My parents like to belittle them, but I don't even know weather it is because they are Muggles or because they think they are still the Lords of them. But I don't see any point in any of this. I mean, Muggle found impressive ways to make their lives easier even without magic, so they are certainly not dump - at least not the majority."

He watched Lark interact with the crow, amazed by her skill in handling the animal. When she asked her 'serious' question, then grinned and shook his head. "The crows got the scraps I took with me on the way out, I am afraid. Are you hungry or why are you asking?"

@Lark Flaer

Fly like a crow
Feeding the crows
»»————- ✼ @Flac Flintshire ✼  ————-««
It was kind what Flac had said about not belittling her achievements. She wasn't used to much praise for anything she did and often found herself rather nervous or embarrassed. A small voice in the back of her head still corrected her, 'He's just being kind...' Finishing off the last of the bag, Lark listened to Flac speak about Muggles and blood status. It all was a big overwhelming. She had hardly known much of the history that plagued the Wizarding World... and now had been tossed into it head on. Nodding her head several times as the boy spoke, Lark agreed with much of what he said. The Muggles did seem fairly resourceful.. plus they had interesting and unique objects or even ways of going about daily life. Thankfully Dale and some of the others filled her in on much of the Muggle world.

"The crows got the scraps I took with me on the way out, I am afraid. Are you hungry or why are you asking?"

"Oh-" She gave a nod somewhat bummed. "Alright! Just was going ta ask if you wanted ta head in an' grab some lunch that's all!" Lark gave the boy a smile as she crumpled the empty bag back into her pocket. Standing, she pulled her bag up off the ground and returned the strap across her chest. Golden eyes rested on Flac, Lark grinned. "It was nice to meet you Flac! I think I can't ignore my stomach any longer, so I'll be on my way ta lunch." Bowing slightly she started down the path and got a few steps away when she turned back to the boy and gave a wave. "Hope ta see you around again Flac!" With that the girl rushed back to the castle.


Lark Leaves the Thread
Reducio
OOC: I had a good time writing with you! If you want to thread again feel free to owl me or start something up and tag me in it!! I enjoyed this :D

Stam: 4 - Ev: 6 - Str: 3 - Wis: 5 - AP: 7 - Acc: 5
In friendships we are searching for a soulmate, someone who shares every facet of their passions and imagination.