23 Jun 2019, 09:55
The Story of a Lifetime!
Artemis listened intently at the girl's answer. Seaborne was her favorite. The woman had listened to her; had guided her. Seaborne had treated this child like her own child, or more like a friend that she could rely on when she needed an ear to listen to her. That was something Artemis hadn't had time to do with his students just yet. He barely knew them except for the few that had approached him. He planned to change that, of course, but for now, the young second-year student was right about the fact that he wasn't as interactive with his students as he could have been. Honestly, he needed more time than he was given to get to know his students.
"I can understand about turnover rates being a pain. I didn't have to deal with that as a student myself, but while working at Illvermony, the History teacher was replaced constantly and it not only made it difficult for the students to learn and keep up with their schoolwork, but it was also difficult for us teachers who had to continuously get used to a new colleague every five to eight months out of the year."
The Charms professor noticed a crack in the wall near the door leading into his office and moved in that direction, tapping his son on the head, who was grinning like a fool at the "cutie" comment, as he walked by. "Why don't you tell Miss Séverin how you came to be here?"
Not paying much attention to the children, Artemis pulled out his wand and examined the wall before casting Reparo and working on sealing the crack. Yuya's voice broke through his thoughts of fixing the wall.
"I...I touched the feather thingy that my dad gave to my mummy. We were visiting my jii-chan and baa-chan in Japan and I got bored. I went to find something interesting and then I saw the feather! I knew that...um...that I wasn't s'posed to touch it but...um...then I did. And then I was at a big place with lots of fireplaces and people! Daddy said that it was the Ministry of Magic!" Yuya said with a bit of awe in his voice before he continued. "But I was scared and wanted my daddy, so I went into a fireplace and just wished for my daddy to come to me and then I was here in Hogwarts! My dad's so cool and brave! He stopped a big fire by himself the day I came here and he didn't even get mad or nothing at Alan for burning the classroom up!"
Artemis had turned around and walked over to his desk to sit down, watching his student and his son interact. He had a soft smile on his face but his mind was distracted about how he could help his hurting student. It wouldn't be an instant fix, that he knew. The girl apparently loved Seaborne and the woman suddenly left without saying a proper goodbye. It wasn't as if Artemis could summon the witch to his classroom for Miss Séverin to speak to and although the owls could find Seaborne even without an address, who was to know if she would reply to the young girl?
"Miss Séverin, I understand your connection to Professor Seaborne. I had a similar connection to an old teacher when I was a student who ended up being replaced because of a spontaneous duel that had happened in Diagon Alley over the summer of my fourth year. I gave the new teacher a horrible time with my attitude for the entirety of my fifth year, not caring about all of the detentions and loss of house points I accumulated, and during my sixth year I would have continued with my mistreatment of him until one day he took me to task and told me to shape up or ship out. The world didn't revolve around me, and as a young boy I wouldn't see the world as an adult would, but one day, I would, and one day I would understand."
Artemis ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "What I'm trying to say, Miss Séverin, is that you may not like me, and I'm not asking you to do so. It is your prerogative on whether you like someone or not and I wasn't placed on this Earth for everyone to like me. But I am asking that you try to understand that there are some things that happen in life, and we may not like them, but they are usually out of our control and we cannot always change fate."
Yuya had looked at his father when he started talking and he didn't understand much of what his dad said, but he did recognize one sentence. Turning back to the young Slytherin, he asked her, "How come you don't like my daddy? Was he mean to you?"
"I can understand about turnover rates being a pain. I didn't have to deal with that as a student myself, but while working at Illvermony, the History teacher was replaced constantly and it not only made it difficult for the students to learn and keep up with their schoolwork, but it was also difficult for us teachers who had to continuously get used to a new colleague every five to eight months out of the year."
The Charms professor noticed a crack in the wall near the door leading into his office and moved in that direction, tapping his son on the head, who was grinning like a fool at the "cutie" comment, as he walked by. "Why don't you tell Miss Séverin how you came to be here?"
Not paying much attention to the children, Artemis pulled out his wand and examined the wall before casting Reparo and working on sealing the crack. Yuya's voice broke through his thoughts of fixing the wall.
"I...I touched the feather thingy that my dad gave to my mummy. We were visiting my jii-chan and baa-chan in Japan and I got bored. I went to find something interesting and then I saw the feather! I knew that...um...that I wasn't s'posed to touch it but...um...then I did. And then I was at a big place with lots of fireplaces and people! Daddy said that it was the Ministry of Magic!" Yuya said with a bit of awe in his voice before he continued. "But I was scared and wanted my daddy, so I went into a fireplace and just wished for my daddy to come to me and then I was here in Hogwarts! My dad's so cool and brave! He stopped a big fire by himself the day I came here and he didn't even get mad or nothing at Alan for burning the classroom up!"
Artemis had turned around and walked over to his desk to sit down, watching his student and his son interact. He had a soft smile on his face but his mind was distracted about how he could help his hurting student. It wouldn't be an instant fix, that he knew. The girl apparently loved Seaborne and the woman suddenly left without saying a proper goodbye. It wasn't as if Artemis could summon the witch to his classroom for Miss Séverin to speak to and although the owls could find Seaborne even without an address, who was to know if she would reply to the young girl?
"Miss Séverin, I understand your connection to Professor Seaborne. I had a similar connection to an old teacher when I was a student who ended up being replaced because of a spontaneous duel that had happened in Diagon Alley over the summer of my fourth year. I gave the new teacher a horrible time with my attitude for the entirety of my fifth year, not caring about all of the detentions and loss of house points I accumulated, and during my sixth year I would have continued with my mistreatment of him until one day he took me to task and told me to shape up or ship out. The world didn't revolve around me, and as a young boy I wouldn't see the world as an adult would, but one day, I would, and one day I would understand."
Artemis ran a hand through his hair and sighed. "What I'm trying to say, Miss Séverin, is that you may not like me, and I'm not asking you to do so. It is your prerogative on whether you like someone or not and I wasn't placed on this Earth for everyone to like me. But I am asking that you try to understand that there are some things that happen in life, and we may not like them, but they are usually out of our control and we cannot always change fate."
Yuya had looked at his father when he started talking and he didn't understand much of what his dad said, but he did recognize one sentence. Turning back to the young Slytherin, he asked her, "How come you don't like my daddy? Was he mean to you?"
Reducio
OOC: Really sorry for such the long wait. I will do my best to stay on task with this thread since I know you need it for the newspaper.
Artemis Vernatis
Professor of Charms