Muggle Studies

Register
Sign in

Errand  Finding Your Flag  PV Willow   Reopened 

@Willow Anderson
Date: October 1st
Time: Afternoon, after classes

Errands were still not something Ruka was too terribly fond of. No matter how much he tried to shake the feeling, he still usually felt like he was letting himself be bribed into doing things he wouldn't even have thought of doing otherwise, but he was trying. This year was supposed to be a year of changes, of self-improvement, and why shouldn't he start with easy to accomplish school tasks? If nothing else it would at least get him some house points.

So when he read about the errand set up in the Muggle Studies Classroom, he hadn't hesitated for long before deciding to join. It didn't sound like something that would take a lot of time anyway; Creating his own flag? Should be done in no time! Take a sheet of paper, pour some glitter on, paint the edges in random colours, there was nothing too difficult about that, really.

Once classes had finished on that day, Ruka had rushed to his dormitory, ridding himself of the school uniform to instead slip into a pair of grey jeans and a dark blue hoodie, feet clad in his favourite grey sneakers. He had dropped all his school books on his night stand and filled his messenger bag with nothing but the essentials before heading to the Muggle Studies Classroom, a room that had strangely enough become one of his favourites real quick since the start of the school year. There was something curiously intriguing about learning of the Muggle World from a Wizard's perspective.

Today, however, the classroom was organised differently, seemed bigger somehow, and more colourful too what with all the stationary provided for colouring and decorating the flags. It almost seemed like the room was waiting for an even younger audience, pre-school kids looking to do some arts and crafts to pass the time, but there were already students present, showing off that the errand was indeed intended for their age group, so Ruka made his way inside with confident steps, gathering everything he thought he might need for his project before settling down by an empty table so he could concentrate in peace.

Despite how sure he had been that creating his own flag wasn't going to take very long, he found himself staring at the blank paper he had put in front of him, hands flat against the table top as he hummed thoughtfully. A flag to represent who he was and where he came from, what kind of assignment was that? Most days Ruka felt like he barely knew himself at all and where he really came from wasn't exactly the most picturesque scene. How did one put homelessness on a flag?

Carefully he reached for a green crayon, setting the tip down on the bottom edge of the paper just to withdraw it again. "Huh," he hummed to himself, surprised with how difficult the task seemed to be now that he was actually being confronted with it. He could see a rough picture of what he thought represented him, a mixture of browns and reds, some green mixed into it. He recalled telling Thomas that life had painted all over him, had imagined blacks and grey back then, mixed with specks of red, but that darkness had made way for some lighter colours these days. The gentle strokes of a brush, repainted parts of his essence into something slightly warmer, calmer, more sure of himself.

Setting the crayon down again, Ruka drew his first line, from one corner to the next, lips pressed into a thin line in concentration.

Maybe this task was going to take more time than he thought after all.

Word Count
609/1000

~Hell is other people~ - Jean Paul Sartre

Stamina: 7 ~ Evasion: 9 ~ Strength: 4 ~ Wisdom: 12 ~ Arcane Power: 6 ~ Accuracy: 7

Interacting
@Ruka Burnett-Tân
Any errand that involved art was one that she was not going to miss. While she did figure there would be art supplies there, she packed some of her own. It felt like for an art so personal she might as well use some supplies that had supported her for so long. There was a connection between her and the paints, the pencils, that she owned. Supporting her and the images she wanted to create. Maybe it was silly to feel so connected to inanimate objects, but honestly it wasn't the weirdest thing about her. She donned her sweatshirt that had a pocket for a cat to exist and Buttons jumped right in, she really never put him on a leash or anything since he never really ran off. He was far too lazy for that. As the cold chill of fall was starting to settle in, it kept him warm, and helped keep Willow warm as well with the warm body against her belly.

With a confident typical bounce in her step she strode into the Muggle Studies classrom, the class that studied her life. It felt a bit weird, but it's not like she wasn't doing that with wizards either. A quick glance around the classroom pointed her towards the supplies that had been provided. She wandered over, picking up a few pieces of paper in case she messed up, some colors of color utensils that she didn't think to pack. With a turn on her heel to figure out where to sit, she almost went to sit alone before noticing Ruka. Someone that had become largely an ambiguous figure in her life. She had no idea whether or not to trust him, or to even attempt getting close to him like she had at the ball.

But this was just a time of art, right? No harm in sitting near him and sharing about their flags. Although maybe his flag was quite personal and he wouldn't want to share. Her hand had idly come to anxiously pet Buttons. With a sigh, and a shrug of 'What's the worst that could happen', which was not very well thought out. A lot could go wrong, worst case scenario he would abandon her again. The only best case she could think of, was engaging him in conversation for more than five minutes. Her legs slowly carried her over to the table, ready to back out at any second before settling in across from him. "Hey Ruka, it's been a bit since I've seen you around." Buttons pulled himself out of the pocket and up onto the table to stretch out and give a couple sniffs to Ruka before settling down next to Willow's art supplies. "This is Buttons~ I got him over the summer. He's friendly if you want to say hi." She really didn't know how he felt about cats, but it honestly wouldn't surprise her if she somehow displeased him once more with her cat. She started with a sheet of white paper, beginning to do the outline that involved a ton of flowers and leaves.
Word Count ✿ 517/1000
Buttons
Reducio

A Flower Yet to Bloom
Stamina: 9 / Evasion: 6 / Strength: 5 / Wisdom: 10 / ArcPower: 6 / Accuracy: 7
Hex Code - #259986

@Willow Anderson

Ruka hadn't managed to get very far with his flag.

There was one green line at the bottom of the paper, and a large collection of coloured pencils, markers and crayons strewn across the table, as if he actually intended to use all of them when apparently he was barely able to do anything with even just one of them. Being so caught up in the restrictions of his own mind, it was almost a relief when a familiar voice pulled him from his thoughts, and he looked up with a pained expression that quickly settled into a small smile when he saw Willow.

They weren't friends, hadn't really seen each other since the disaster that had been the Blossom Ball, but Ruka had no ill feelings towards her. If anything, she probably had some not so nice thoughts about him and he couldn't say he blamed her.

"Willow, he greeted her gently, moving his own art supplies around the desk a little bit to make more room for her, watching curiously as she made herself comfortable across from him without making sure that he was happy with her company. Considering the fact that he had left her by herself back at the Ball, however, he figured he owed her that much without complaining about it.

It wasn't like he really minded anyway, especially not once he saw the red cat crawling from something like a pouch in the Hufflepuff's sweater to climb up on the desk and greet him with a few sniffs to his hands. The short moment was enough to brighten Ruka's expression considerably, lips stretching into a wide smile, eyes sparkling with unabashed excitement. "Hey, Buttons," he greeted the cat fondly, watching as it settled down next to Willow's art supplies.

Carefully he lifted a hand to scratch the cat's head between its ears, hoping for the sound of purring but ready to withdraw again at a moment's notice, should Button sound in any way displeased with the contact.

"It's been a while," he agreed as he moved his attention back to Willow, offering her a sheepish smile while rubbing the back of his neck. "Suppose when a guy abandons his Ball date after five minutes he's not that eager to face said girl again. Cowardice isn't supposed to be a trait of mine, but there you have it." His tone was light and joking but there was something apologetic in his expression as he shrugged his shoulders, a hint of regret sparkling in his eyes. "I should have reached out, I'm sorry. It wasn't a good time for me, not that that's any excuse." He chuckled lightly before reaching for a red marker to colour the top corners of his flag with it as if he had any clue what exactly he was doing.

"I'm glad to see you, though," he added truthfully, setting the marker aside again to lean back and search for eye contact with the girl across the desk. "How have you been? How was your summer?"

Word Count
505 + 609 = 1114/1000
Errand Complete

Stamina: 7 ~ Evasion: 9 ~ Strength: 4 ~ Wisdom: 12 ~ Arcane Power: 6 ~ Accuracy: 7

Interacting
@Ruka Burnett-Tân
Willow chose to ignore the fact that he specifically said hello to Buttons, and just her name to her. This wasn't a time to read into everything he did to see if he hated her or whatever. A time to interrogate about Flash? No. This was second year, that was first year. Bringing all of that would take ten steps back when she had barely even taken one forward in figuring out what even went down that night. More so, Willow watched in blatant fascination as Ruka looked happy for once. Not only that, ecstatic with a cat being placed in front of him. Had the secret to Ruka just been a cat this whole time? If that was the case she would've begged for a cat even more in her first year.

At the very least, Buttons seemed to greatly enjoy the attention. A strong purr emitted from his body as he leaned into the scratches. A small fond smile found it's way onto Willow's face before she turned her attention into the flag in front of her. At least, she tried. Until Ruka started in on an extremely unexpected apology. She slowly looked back up at him, she never even expected to hear him acknowledge what he did in her lifetime. "It... was a bad night all around. At least you got a dance." A sly smirk replaced the smile, hoping to get a rise out of him. "Which, you definitely owe me someday for ditching me once... then a second time." She started drawing the symbols for the elements she held so dear in the corners of her flag. "Really though, it's fine. A new year, new start." Her eyes finally met his for a brief moment before quickly glancing away. Which him she still felt awkward and vulnerable. Her left hand reflexively reached out to pet along Button's back for a moment before returning to hold the paper that was now moving as she sketched it out.

"Summer was a summer~ It was nice to see my family, but I'm glad to be back at school. It kind of felt weird being a muggle again. When... I'm not, y'know? It felt like I was faking it." A small shrug as an attempt to brush it off. "But I mean, I got Buttons, and I got my hair dyed which was pretty fun. Although... I found out that I will be learning a hair coloring charm this year. Which is..." She sighed wistfully. "Wish I knew about it before, but it's fine. Everything is fine. I'm sure muggle dye is better than... Yeah I can't even finish that sentence." She giggled and paused her drawing to look at him as she offered him the same question. "What about you? Do any fire dancing?" She hadn't seen him fire dance since the talent show the year before.

The mischievous tabby took this as a great moment to stand up rub himself on Ruka's full arm for attention. "He's... a needy baby. If you just push him away he'll stop." Homework had become increasingly difficult with Buttons around, but she wouldn't trade him for anything.
Word Count ✿ 1,038517+521/1000
Completed
Buttons
Reducio

A Flower Yet to Bloom
Stamina: 9 / Evasion: 6 / Strength: 5 / Wisdom: 10 / ArcPower: 6 / Accuracy: 7
Hex Code - #259986

@Willow Anderson
Ruka couldn't stop himself from letting out a delighted squeal when Buttons emitted a loud purr, showing off his appreciation of the attention he was receiving. It caused Ruka to lean forward and press his forehead against the cat's little head, nuzzling into his fur for a moment before pulling back again to put his focus back on Willow - the person who was actually capable of having a conversation with him.

His apology seemed to have come as a surprise to her, which was to be expected. It had been months ago and Ruka hadn't tried to reach out about it even once. She had probably been ready to just move on and accept that they would never talk about it again. At least her reaction wasn't negative; She even dared to tease about that dance he had with Flash instead of her, making him cover his face in the palms of his hands for a moment.

"You got it," he mumbled behind his hands before dropping them and offering Willow an amused smile, eyes sparkling with delight over the fact that she didn't seem as upset as he thought she would have had the right to be. Knowing that Willow didn't seem to hold grudges made him feel strangely light. "Next time I see you when there's music around we're having that dance. No matter the location. I am ready to give what is owed." He chuckled and let his gaze drop back to Buttons for a moment, burying his hand in the soft red fur and smiling fondly at the fluffy creature.

When he looked up again it was just in time for her eyes to meet his for a short moment before she averted her gaze again as if prolonged eye contact made her feel uncomfortable somehow. Tilting his head to the side questioningly, Ruka decided not to mention it. There was no need to make the conversation uncomfortable somehow.

He listened attentively when she talked about her summer, nodding occasionally. He could understand how strange it was to return to the Muggle World after living at Hogwarts all year and learning to let Magic become something like second nature. He remembered their first conversation having touched the topic of how Witches and Wizards had to hide and how it wasn't right. Ruka had expressed that he thought it was for their own safety and he still felt like that, though that didn't mean he couldn't understand the feeling of faking it when hiding the magic they were so free to use all year at school.

Her little ramble about hair dye made him chuckle, a little nod accompanying the sound as if to show his appreciation for her new hair colour that way. "Well if you ever need a touch-up before you get around to learning the spell," he said lightly, patting his own side to indicate where his wand was. "Let me know. I've gotten pretty good at it."

When she questioned him about his fire dancing, Ruka laughed, all the while keeping a hand on Buttons as if to make sure he stayed calm despite the various emotions in each of his and Willow's voices. The last thing he wanted was to startle the poor thing with unexpected volume. "Just a bit," he said with a little shrug and an easy smile in her direction. "It was definitely good not living on the streets. Also meant there wasn't that much need for fire dance, though." He hummed lightly and gave another shrug in response. "I got to go to the zoo," he told her, like an afterthought that he just needed to share anyway. Going to the Zoo had definitely been one of his personal summer highlights. "It was a good time." With that he concluded the vague retelling of his own summer experiences, startling slightly when Buttons got up to rub against his arm.

Despite Willow's advice to just push him away, Ruka saw it as an opportunity to wrap his second arm around the cat as well, leaning in to rub his own head against Buttons' and emitting some purring noises of his own. He had read that cats reacted well to purring sounds, were made to feel comfortable by them, so Ruka didn't think it hurt to try.

"No way," he told Willow as he looked up at her again, a fond sparkle in his eyes. "He's such a good cat, if he wants cuddles he gets them." With that decision, Ruka continued his purring sounds while petting across Buttons' fur.

His barely even started flag was almost forgotten at this point.