Muggle Studies

Register
Sign in

Errand  Really, it's Not That Bad  Finished 

@Wren Windgazer
Date: October 16th, 2020
Errand
Where on earth am I from? Paisley wondered as she stepped into the muggle studies classroom. Flags were laid out on the tables, and she felt a feeling of dread wash over her thinking of all the students that were soon to arrive. Why had she come? To doubt herself yet again about something she couldn't do? Was this really how she wanted to be using her time? She could be in the common room, enjoying watching the students go by or seeing the sun set.

Despite her uncertainty, she walked in, and opened her mouth and closed it. Standing there was Dipper, no doubt about it. The stance was all too familiar. Paisley's worried expression faded into a smirk. "Well, Dippy. Nice seeing you here." she said, although there was no emotion behind her voice if you listened carefully. She truly didn't care either way, Wren could leave or stay. Paisley would tolerate either.

Paisley felt as if she were truly gifted at arts and crafts. She might not be able to write or focus as well as some of the other students, but her fine motor skills were on point. She would beat everyone at this flag-making, no matter what it took. Wow, I actually sounded like a Gryffindor for a moment. she speculated on this for a minute, and then stopped. This wasn't the time to be staring off into space, she had a job to do! She was going to make the best flag, whether anyone else liked it or not. Especially because she was going to be competing against Dipper.

She took a seat in the nearest chair to Dipper and glanced around, unsure of what she was doing. Why would I sit next to her? Do I really want to do this? I could go sit over there, or there, or almost anywhere else and Dipper wouldn't be a problem.Despite her dislike of Dipper, she felt comforted knowing someone there she knew. And, although she would never admit it out loud, Dipper truly wasn't that bad. Sure, she was rude and irritating, but wasn't that what made her all the more likable?
WC: 368/1000
Last edited by Paisley Brown on 15 Oct 2020, 19:33, edited 2 times in total.

You don't need a cloak to be invisible.

"I really don't know why I'm here." muttered Wren, stepping into the dimly lit muggle studies classroom. There were many tables spread throughout the room, blank flags laid across them. Walking over to a desk in the back corner of the room, she slipped the bag of books off her shoulder and placed it on one of the chairs. With her seat saved, she began wandering around the classroom. It was filled with muggle objects and while she was wizard-born, Wren was familiar with most of them. Her brother, Merrick, had taken this class and would bring things home over the summer to experiment with them. While she had no interest in the class, it was still fun to mess around with all the objects. Almost immediately after thinking this her thoughts went back to why she was in the class. She still had no interest in muggle objects, and to her they were just boring. She found the only reason why she decided to take the class was because of her brothers owl. He had sent her a letter asking her to give it a chance, and while she completely resented it, she had agreed to try it out.

"Let's just say that." she said quietly, trying to convince herself that that was the reason why she didn't like it, but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't ignore it. Letting out a deep sigh, she turned around to head back to her seat but something caught her eye. A wave of sheer frustration swept over her at the sight of the familiar brown hair and dull green eyes in the doorway. Needles, of course. She quickly but subtly moved back towards the desk with her bag, but as soon as she reached it Paisley began to come over.

"Well, Dippy. Nice seeing you here." she said. Wren found herself puzzling over the girls tone. It hadn't been her usual unsure, almost aggressive voice. Rather, there was no emotion behind her words at all. Odd. Not bothering to respond, Wren moved her bag onto the back of the chair and sat down. It was hard trying to ignore Paisley, but she managed to pretend she wasn't there. Why? Just why? She couldn't help thinking as the Gryffindor sat down next to her. She was about to ask her why she chose the spot but the muggle studies professor had start giving out instructions.

"Why are you here?" whispered Wren under her breath, just loud enough so Paisley could hear. She kept her eyes glued to the front, not even looking at the girl she despised.
Reducio
Interacting with @Paisley Brown
Words: 437

"The bird who dares to fall is the bird who learns to fly."

Interacting with: @Wren Windgazer
Paisley picked up a paper and set it out in front of her, beginning to decorate her flag. She was going to use the colors of the Greek flag, as she had heard her mother say she was Greek sometimes. She wasn't sure if it was true, but she assumed that it would work for now. After all, the teacher wouldn't know, would she? She was going to add her own twist to it, because just create the usual Greek flag was boring. She always had a plan when it came to art from the very beginning, although sometimes she wasn't aware of it. It seemed as if her hands guided her thoughts, instead of the other way around.

Hearing Dipper's soft reply, Paisley's head swiveled around, and she smiled blissfully, although if one looked closely they could see it was edged with sarcasm. "Because I want to draw a flag." Again, her voice was monotone, almost flat. The high pitched and sarcasm only added to the illusion that something was off with her today. In fact, someone was off with her today. She didn't feel the same absolute loathing when she looked into Dipper's eyes. Instead she felt...friendly.

"Besides, I don't know a single person here. At least with you," she shot a piercing gaze at Wren, although it was softer than her usual, "I can argue with and be comfortable knowing you'll hate me just the same tomorrow. With other people I never know what their reactions will be. The steadfast hatred is sort of soothing." she smirked."You're like the safe zone for me, in a way. Filled with toxins that could explode at any moment, yes, but a base nonetheless." it sounded like a joke, but it wasn't. Paisley was being honest, although she would never admit it to Dipper.

Paisley turned back to her flag, her face turning bright red. Had she really just said that? Was she serious? Had she eaten something terrible at breakfast? You've gotten yourself in a real pickle here, Brown. What're you going to do about it?

WC: 354+368=755 words

"Because I want to draw a flag." replied Paisley, her tone mild and flat. Wren just rolled her eyes as the Gryffindor started drawing. Couldn't you have done that in the common room? She purposely stopped herself from saying that, though she desperately wanted to. After finding the scroll in forest, they decided that they should work together. It was hard enough just knowing the girl, let alone get along with her. Stifling a soft groan, she got to work on her flag. Being from Ireland, she wanted to draw something that showed all the nature in the country. There were a lot of grassy fields, and a lot of water. There were a lot of trees where she lived, and she decided to highlight that. There might not be as many trees in the rest of Ireland, but that was the part that felt like home. She wasn't entirely sure what she should draw on the flag, but at least she had an idea.

"Besides, I don't know a single person here. At least with you," continued Paisley, casting a glare at Wren, "I can argue with and be comfortable knowing you'll hate me just the same tomorrow." Wren opened her mouth the say something but the Gryffindor cut her off.

"With other people I never know what their reactions will be. The steadfast hatred is sort of soothing.
You're like the safe zone for me, in a way. Filled with toxins that could explode at any moment, yes, but a base nonetheless." Wren didn't know what to say. Had Paisley just said that she was her 'safe zone'? She could see the color rising in the Gryffindors face as soon as she said it. She quickly turned back to her flag, but Wren didn't do anything. She just sat with her pencil in her hand, staring straight down at her paper, mouth slightly open with shock. No one had ever said that about her, and especially not someone who would consider her a bully. She shifted uncomfortably in her seat and quickly returned to her flag.
Reducio
Words: 348
Total: 785
Last edited by Wren Windgazer on 15 Oct 2020, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.

Interacting with: @Wren Windgazer
For a few moments, Paisley drew the Greek Flag contentedly, counting the lines in her head. She swung her legs beneath the desk; because she was so much shorter, they didn't touch the ground like the third years and up that attended the class. She was lost in a flurry of thoughts, and when she came back to reality, she turned to Dipper, her eyes taking a minute to focus back to the real world.
"What've you done so far?" she asked, although her voice sounded strange, as if it was from another planet. She was speaking too nicely and too kindly. There was no way she was using this tone of voice with Dipper! She had never done that in her entire life. It was terrible, but the truth was, she didn't want to stop, at least not today. The thought sent an alarm bell ringing throughout her entire mind. She had wired it to hate Dipper. What was happening now? Was her invention malfunctioning? What is wrong with me today?! I hate Dipper! Can't I just accept that and move on?! It's as easy as pie. the other side of her mind argued with her argument with her mind. Pie isn't that easy to make, and you know that.

It appeared as if she couldn't just 'move on and continue hating Dipper'. For the entire rest of the class, her eyes kept darting over to where the other girl sat, not at all worried about what she would say, or how mean she was going to be today. It wasn't like that she was feeling, and it wasn't loathing. It was acceptance. She was accepting the fact that Dipper existed and there was nothing she could do about it. There was no use fighting with her any longer, granted Dipper wasn't a pain in the butt all the time. She couldn't help but feel as if somehow, although it was strange, the scroll had brought them together.

She glanced over at Dipper once again, only to be met by an unfriendly glare. The familiar anger boiled up inside of her, and she forgot everything she had been thinking before. Fat chance of us becoming friends. she thought, and put the finishing touch on her flag. She didn't know what had gotten into her. There was no way in the entire world she would ever become friends with Wren, and that was a fact.
WC: 755+411=1166
Errand is complete
Flag:
Reducio

The sound of pencil on paper filled Wren's ear as she scribbled down the design for her flag. She carefully dragged the lead of her pencil in the shape of hills, and drew a small sun in the top right corner. There wasn't much time left, so she jotted down some words about her home decided to call if done. She was not an artist by any means, but she felt it was good enough. It'll work at least. Wondering what Paisley had done for her flag, Wren glanced over at the Gryffindor's drawing. It was mainly blue, with white stripes everywhere and words that told something of Greece. She is greek? Mild shock washed over her but was pushed out almost as soon as it had come.

The sound of chairs sliding across the ground signaled that it was time to go. Without hesitation, Wren jumped up from her seat, grabbed her bag, and left the classroom. That was embarrassing. Her mind was racing, thinking about what Paisley had said. "You're like the safe zone for me..." What had she meant? Had the girl really been considering that they were friends? Wren shook her head, aware that it must look like she was arguing with herself. We are not friends. They were so different from each other, so even if they wanted, how could they?
Reducio
Words: 226
Total: 1011