Muggle Studies

Register
Sign in

Errand  Of Flags and Friendships  PV 

October 1st- After Classes

October was already upon the students of Hogwarts. The year veered away from recaps and lazy weekends right into Autumn Balls and Halloween. With everything going on, one third-year felt a bit behind on the times. Sure, she had recently been accepted into the Dueling team and kept atop all of her homework, but she didn't feel super connected with anyone else. Her brother had quickly gotten accepted into his peer group and was spending less and less time with his older sister. Most of the people Katrina had done things with last year she hadn't even seen yet: Adonis, Pierre, River, Jo, Hackasplat. She had already run into Beckett! But Katrina still felt like she hadn't really reconnected yet to her friends.

Katrina overheard in the Common Room that the Muggle Studies teacher was hosting another one of the school errand events. Flag making. Something about making a personal flag that represents you for her to hang in her classroom. Katrina wasn't taking Muggle Studies this year, being a muggle herself, but figured that it might be a nice way to spend the afternoon. It might be a good excuse to let some of her art get famous. It was handy to trade for things, maybe if it hung on the wall, she would get more people interested in it. Besides some art supplies and a blank flag, maybe she could even get some social time out of it.

Katrina invited Bridget to join her between classes and she now climbed the staircases to get to the classroom, looking forward to talking to Bridget. They had spent the last few weeks of summer together and had been studying together a bit, but they hadn't really just chatted too much. She was looking forward to a chunk of time to catch up with her best friend. Maybe she could even talk about the Scavenger Hunt Club and the fact that Bridget would be a big help.

On the way up the stairs, Katrina met Boomerang coming down. She yelped with surprise, almost stepping on her mischievous familiar. "Boomerang! What on earth are you doing way up here?" She picked him up and he began to purr ferociously, his orange coat silky smooth. "You are seeing another student aren't you! I knew somebody was feeding you, and now they are grooming you too? I've got to figure out who it is!" Katrina talked to her cat as she trudged up the next few landings, oblivious to the fact that talking to your cat isn't a normal thing. Part way up the stairs, Boomerang leapt out of her hands and started following an older student down. Katrina shrugged and continued up the stairs, she could meet with him after.

When she arrived in the unfamiliar classroom, Katrina didn't spot Bridget. She was running... quite a bit early. She didn't have a watch, but assumed she was there about a quarter to a half an hour early. Katrina decided it didn't hurt to get a head start on her flag. After all, she had no idea what she was going to do with it yet. She grabbed the fabric and draped it across one of the tables. She then opened her sketchbook and got to work.

Ideas, ideas, ideas. Her first idea was a dragon, she loved dragons and had a fascination with them. Besides, having pictures to look at would make it a lot easier. Her first sketches weren't too bad, but she couldn't quite get the position right. She didn't want it to look threatening, but she struggled with the size too. Her follow up idea was to do Boomerang, she had plenty of practice with him as well. Again, she couldn't really decide how she wanted him to be on the flag or even the color.

It was a while later when Katrina realized that her notebook page was now basically full and she still didn't have a specific idea. She sunk into her seat in frustration. She just didn't know how to embody her character onto one small design. There was just so much that made her, her. Who was she? She was a witch of Hogwarts. A muggle. Once and orphan. A sister. A dragon lover. An artist. The leader of the Scavenger Hunt Club. A protector. A new dueler. A friend. She was so much, but yet, all of the things were abstract and nothing was really easy.

At a loss of ideas, Katrina got out some colored pencils and played with blending colors. She matched her teal streak, her auburn hair, her gryffindor sweatshirt colors, Boomerang's fur, her hazel eyes. None of the colors really stood out. They were all good. She couldn't come up with a design, let alone a color! This would be a very long project if she didn't come up with something soon.

Again at a loss, Katrina surveyed the room. It was about time, wasn't it. Was Bridget running late? It wasn't like her to not be on time. Katrina's mind went wild overthinking. What if Bridget got hurt? What if she forgot to take the medicine that kept her spider bites at bay? What if there was another attack? Hags? Mosps? Fire? Who knows! If Bridget got hurt again without Katrina knowing, she might explode. Had Bridget found out about Beckett punching Katrina a week ago? Had she gone back to Beckett? Katrina quickly wound herself into a ball of stress. It took the feelings of a panic attack creeping in for Katrina to stop her spiral and calm down. Bridget was probably just getting clarifications on homework or something, it wasn't a big deal. She was just stressed over nothing.

Katrina returned to her sketchbook, doodling on the corners a bit now. She circled the better ideas with a black pen and bit her lip. She needed to come to a conclusion soon. Maybe when Bridget came she could get her help. Yes, that's what she would do. She would just sit tight.
@Bridget CollinsWC:1010/1000 Errand Complete
Reducio
Notebook: Think this but like way better...Image

>Stats: Sta 9, Evas 8, Str 3, Wis 11, ArcP 9, Acc 5<
>Healing Sage | Perfectionist | Charmer || Leader of SHC| Owner of The Kat Shop<

@Katrina Walker
Errands. A year ago, she made an effort to keep track of every available one and participated in a large percentage of them, always after the prospect of a few more house points, a little more money. That effort had ceased, errands only something she knew about in passing. To be honest, Bridget had bigger problems. Problems like surviving the school year and keeping her friends alive and finding a cure for the spider curse. And even on a less dire note, she was part of the Slytherin duelling team now, not to mention trying to keep up with all her homework. She had other things to worry about and not enough time.

Still, errands weren't something she avoided. They provided convenient opportunities to meet up with her friends and allies without having to track them down through the long, winding Hogwarts corridors. When Katrina invited her to the errand, something about flag-making, of course she'd said yes. In the hectic start of the school year it had been hard to find a lot of time to spend with her friend. Sure, they sat together in classes and sometimes worked on homework together, but that had been about it and just wasn't the same.

Bridget was looking forward to the meetup, at any rate. The errand would probably have some worthwhile reward, too, even if that took the back seat to being with her friend. With the errand to look forward to after her classes, the day didn't seem nearly so long. She supposed she was a bit of a paradox: she liked knowing things, but not always the learning part. Classes finally over for the day, she was in the her usual haunt, the Hogwarts library, trying to make sense of what they'd just learned in Transfiguration so she could complete her essay.

She was finally making progress when she decided to check her watch to gauge how much time she had until the errand. Except... she didn't have any time until the errand. Because she was already late. "Shoot." Hastily throwing her half-finished essay, quill, and inkpot into her satchel, she rushed out of the Library and up a flight of stairs to the Muggle Studies classroom.

She'd made it. Another check of the analog watch strapped to her wrist, she noted that she was exactly eleven minutes late. Probably long enough for Katrina to start worrying considering Bridget was usually on time. The Slytherin pushed the door open and stepped into the Muggle Studies classroom

This was a room she'd never actually been in before. Four extra classes was a few too many to take on and Muggle Studies had been the one on the chopping block. She'd grown up with Muggles so was hardly unfamiliar with their culture, and while it would have been interesting to learn how wizards viewed what had once been everything she knew, the other classes had been more important. Magical creatures were something she needed to know how to deal with, especially since certain harmful creatures kept attacking them, Runes were simply interesting, and Divination, while not necessarily something she was sure actually worked, was at least worth knowing about for even a slim chance it did.

Now wasn't really the time to observe the classroom, though. Right now she really needed to apologize for being late. Crossing to the table Katrina was working at, stopping briefly to pick up the sheet of paper and coloring materials she'd be working with, the brunette slid in next to her friend. "Sorry I'm late." The thirteen-year-old bit her lip. It wasn't at all fair to Katrina for her to be late when it was already hard to get quality time together. "I lost track of time. Transfiguration essay." She made a face, partly to display her annoyance at the essay itself and partly because it felt like the sort of things friend normally did. When she thought back to the years before Hogwarts with her childhood best friends, she remembered a lot of laughter, talking about inconsequential things, complaining about schoolwork. Could that be them if things were different? Or even if they didn't changed, it disaster still struck Hogwarts several times a year, could they find a way to joke around and have fun? She hoped so.

The apology out of the way, Bridget turned her attention to what Katrina had done so far. The redhead had technically done quite a bit, but all of it was brainstorming, a wide variety of ideas sketched out in her notebook but nothing on the flag itself. They were pretty good sketches, too, dragons and her cat and lots of other things. Even fire, which Bridget knew terrified her friend. It was a justified fear, at any rate, because fire had killed her parents and was apparently a key part of Hogwarts balls.

"I like your drawings," she complimented. There, that was the sort of thing friends talked about, right? They let each other know when they were good at something. Besides, it was something they had in common. Bridget was a decent artist herself, although she was probably a little out of practice. She'd barely touched her own sketchbook since the attack on Slytherin.

By the looks of it, Katrina hadn't been able to decide what to draw yet. It was a hard question. She supposed it would be easiest to just do her country's flag, but it also had to be somewhat original. Although certainly interesting, Bridget didn't think she'd be doing anything quite so original at whatever it was Katrina was planning for her flag. That would require a little too much mental energy diverted from actually conversing with her friend.

She was British, but it wasn't like she had any pride in her country. She was a witch now, so she hardly felt attached to her Muggle home. It was just somewhere she stayed on breaks. So if not her country, then what was she proud of? What was something she could say she was happy to be a part of? It wasn't hard to find answers. She was proud of her House. She was proud of having made the duelling team.

The brunette settled on something that displayed all three things: her nationality, her House, and her sport. Using the format of the British flag, she switched the colors for green and silver and made the diagonal lines wands. Although pencils were her preferred medium, she opted to paint.

As she painted, Bridget recalled Katrina's stay at her house over the summer, namely the first few minutes when Ellie had bombarded Katrina with questions. One of those questions had been if Katrina was okay with the name 'Kat', and the Gryffindor had said that was fine. It was possible she was just trying to get the younger girl to leave her alone, but friends had nicknames for each other, right? Bridget had never really been one for shortening names, but maybe Katrina would like it. It couldn't hurt to bring it up, anyways. "So, this is a little random, but... Well, remember when Ellie asked you if you were fine going by Kat? And I was wondering if you were." This was getting a little awkward, at least for her, and all she could think about was how this was starting to sound like the first few uncomfortable conversations they'd had. "Of course, if you're not I totally won't call you Kat," she backtracked. Stopping her painting, she met Katrina's eyes. This was ridiculous; they were friends and it was no big deal. "But, you know, if we're at another ball and I don't know where you are, I can say Kat a lot faster than I can say Katrina. So... what do you think? And I suppose this is also where I say you can give me a nickname too."
Total Word Count | 1311/1000
Word Count Complete
Reducio

Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.
|| Sta: 7 | Evas: 9 | Str: 7 | Wis: 9 | ArcPow: 7 | Acc: 8 || Sixth Sense | Evasive Maneuvers | Prodigal DADA ||

Katrina was just about to work herself into another worried frenzy when she heard rushed footsteps approach the Muggle Studies room. Katrina knew Bridget enough to recognize her footsteps, even if she was a bit hurried. The Third-Year wiped the worried expression from her face and greeted her friend with a smile.

Bridget swiped up some art supplies and sat down beside her. To her apology, Katrina shrugged maybe a bit too quickly, proving that she had been a bit worried, “No worries,” Bridget made a face and Katrina laughed, “Science and magic are so much harder when they are together,” Transfiguration wasn’t Katrina’s favorite class, but Professor Lian was fun and made learning interesting. Bridget seemed a bit lost in her thoughts for a moments so Katrina turned back to her doodle filled page.

Bridget started out with some paints, bright colors and a bold pattern. It looked really good, and seemed easier than her ideas. Still at a loss for a design, Katrina mindlessly doodled along the edges of her page.

Oh yeah, nicknames, I like Kat,” Katrina looked down to her page, recalling Beckett calling her ‘Kit-kat’, what her dad used to call her. Liam calls her ‘Kitty-Kat’. It might be nice to bring back nicknames. A refreshing change of pace. She couldn’t just associate everything with her parent’s death after all. Besides, if there was anyone in the world who Katrina would want to be called a nickname with, it would be her best friend. “Yeah, I think Kat is good,” Katrina met Bridget’s eyes, “Hmm, nicknames, I could call you Bridge, or… snake girl!” Katrina laughed at that, the absurd nickname wasn’t something she could actually say with a straight face anyway.

I think Bridge is fun. Or maybe B? What do you think?” Katrina returned the idea to Bridget, she didn’t have much experience with nicknaming people. Well, besides people she doesn’t like.

Now she just needed a flag idea.

>Healing Sage | Perfectionist | Charmer || Leader of SHC| Owner of The Kat Shop<

@Katrina Walker
The face she'd made shifted into a smile as Katrina laughed. It was a wonderful sound, really, and it made her realize just how little she'd heard her friend's laugh. Katrina was right; science and magic together made things complicated. Bridget had nothing against the class and did like both science and magic, but together they certainly made for a difficult subject she could never manage to score above an E in.

They worked quietly for a bit. Bridget didn't quite like how her flag was turning out, but it would do. It didn't have to be perfect, after all. She was relieved to hear Katrina was fine with Kat, as it minimized any potential awkwardness. The Gryffindor met her eyes, confirming her liking of the shortened name. It fit; it was plenty easy to say, being only one syllable, and also nicely connected to Katrina's pet cat.

It was Bridget's turn to laugh as Katrina suggested several nicknames for her. "If you call me snake girl I might have to hex you." Despite the fact it was technically a threat, her grin made it clear it was just a joke. Of course, she was not particularly fond of the nickname, but it wasn't the sort of thing she'd hex Katrina over. Though if it stuck, she did have a few entirely harmless spells she could use.

That narrowed it down to 'Bridge' and 'B'. It wasn't all that much of a competition; she had the feeling 'B' would be easy to mistake for something else. "I like Bridge." Her eyes drifted down to her painting for a moment, needing to break eye contact before her brief shift in expression killed the mood. She was perfectly fine with Katrina calling her Bridge, of course. Just... it was the nickname Matthew used for her, or at least had once used. She'd always looked up to him and then magic had come into the picture, he'd called her a freak, and, well, things were rather rocky now. Still, perhaps it would be nice to attach better memories to the nickname.

Between being not particularly good and not all that complicated, she was nearly done with her flag. Somehow, Katrina still hadn't started. "Need help thinking of something?" she offered. "I mean, it's not like anyone's going to check if the flag perfectly represents you, but I might be able to help you narrow things down."

|| Sta: 7 | Evas: 9 | Str: 7 | Wis: 9 | ArcPow: 7 | Acc: 8 || Sixth Sense | Evasive Maneuvers | Prodigal DADA ||

Katrina laughed at Bridget's threat. Well, it may have been a threat coming from Beckett or something, but coming from Bridget, Katrina found herself laughing. "I'd better not call you that then," Katrina chuckled. It was just so... nice. It was sometimes so hard to let go and let loose and not having many friends ensured that didn't happen often. Around Bridget, Katrina knew she could be crazy and laugh her head off or break down and cry and she could still put all of her trust into Bridget.

"Bridge it is then," Katrina affirmed. This was something new. Nicknames. Usually, Katrina inadvertently gave them to people she didn't like. But this, this was different, Katrina was allowed to call her Bridge. It was a nickname that meant more than just she had nothing better to call her. It was a mark of friendship instead.

Katrina turned back to her journal again and sighed, Bridget must have picked up on it as she offered a bit of assistance. "I would actually like that very much," Katrina admitted. "So far I was thinking something with a dragon or Boomerang. Or maybe something with teal, since y'know my hair," Katrina looked down at her paper, "But I'm not really certain on any idea yet,"
@Bridget Collins ahhhhh, sorry its so late and so short >.<

@Katrina Walker
Katrina admitted to being at a loss for what to do for her flag, apparently stuck between several different ideas. Dragons, her cat, teal... There was probably a way to combine all of it. Granted, they needed a simple way to combine those three things if that was the idea Katrina went with since she didn't really have the time necessary to make something complicated.

"I don't know... I mean, I'd think a dragon would take a while, but I haven't drawn a dragon before so I wouldn't know. What about Boomerang on a teal background?" It was up to Katrina, of course. Bridget was just providing a basic idea, a starting point since clearly she didn't yet have one. She rested her head in her hand as she examined the preliminary sketches, idly admiring her friend's artistic talent.

It was interesting to hear what Katrina had narrowed down for a flag to represent her. Teal was her favorite color, not to mention symbolic of her through her hair. Boomerang was her pet and with what she knew from having Sherlock, pets meant a lot. They were like friends, sort of, except simpler. You pretty much just had to feed them, perhaps play with them a bit, and they loved you. As for dragons... well, Bridget had seen a few of Katrina's drawings before and several of them had depicted dragons. Other than that, though, she wasn't sure what the significance was.

"Why dragons, by the way?" She was curious, but it was a different sort of curiosity than what she usually experienced, the curiosity that drove her to look something up in the library or ask questions. It was more like... like she just wanted to know her friend better. It had nothing to do with wanting that information to help her at a later date, but rather for the sake of right now. Maybe it was something trivial or maybe it was something important to Katrina. Either way, she was interested in Katrina's answer.