Register
Sign in
22 Jun 2018, 05:23
A Shared Love for History  Closed 
Along the banks of the Great Lake, there sat a blonde girl, reading and listening to music. A Lyke Wake Dirge by Matt Berninger and Andrew Bird was playing, one of her favourite songs. Although she wasn't a religious fellow, the song gave her 18th century America vibes, as it should, considering it was part of the soundtrack for TURN: Washington's Spies. This was her everyday life, reading some book to help her gain knowledge on her favourite era in history, listening to music that made her feel at home in another time. She wished longingly that there was someone around to share this enthusiasm with her.

One of these days, a stranger was bound to come upon her, hear or see, gain the knowledge that she had an infatuation with the particular subject. Someday, someone out there would ask her about it. They would confront her, and together they could gush in their love for a time they never knew. That was her greatest dream, to have a friend who shared the same love for it as she did.

Many thought her mad for being so involved in history, some thought her a genius. But she had never found one that had just loved her for her enthusiasm. And to be entirely fair, many who came out of Great Britain refused to acknowledge the Revolutionary War, as the British did indeed lose it. But that never mattered to Alexx, as she wasn't born a British citizen, so she had no reason to refuse the knowledge. Alexx was born an American, thus creating her ever-growing love for this era in history. How she wished she could share all this with someone.

chill babe. we're all bad in someone's story.
26 Jun 2018, 15:56
And then... the electronic device started to spark out of seemingly nowhere. A fountain of hot white sparks would erupt from the music player. There was a reason that Hogwarts used candles that were kept aloft by magic and enchanted to remain lit. Lightbulbs did not work. Radios did not work. Gaming devices did not work. In fact, that is why wizards had limited contact or understanding of technology, it simply did not work in conjunction with their magic. 

So the poor girl, alone as this is only the words of a narrator would see her precious device go up in flames (literally). Yes, the device caught fire and the lovely music she had until recently, prior to her coming to this nexus of magical activity, had enjoyed.

Thankfully she was not a Hufflepuff, most of their muggle devices had already been obliterated through the use of incendio or rough hammers. "Safety first" being that eccenteric Professor's personal motto. This would be why, devices were flammable. Alexx was flammable. never again should the magically charged Pure-Blood cross a muggle device again lest she wish to put her life in peril. 

'Tis the world we live in dear Alexx -- muggles and wizards are not intended to mix.

However, now she had something to attract the attention of other students. A small bonfire near the pretty little girl. Come one... come all. Sit, warm your toes and meet the pretty blonde Slytherin.
OC: I am not here, carry on.

There is something about ambition, how it not only propels you but also defines you.
27 Jun 2018, 00:42
Alexx stared, confused and almost frustrated, at what had been her phone, now turned fire. This had never happened to her before. She didn't have a history of blowing up her devices, let alone catching them on fire. Never the matter, she let it burn, enjoying the warmth. She did miss the music, however. Surely this didn't have to happen while her favourite song was playing, but there was nothing she could do now.

She didn't remember there being a rule about no devices, if there was, she paid no mind to it (as she was quite the rebellious Slytherin, and ignored plenty of rules and regulations as it were). Being from outside the Wizarding World, Alexx could hardly remember a time when she didn't have a device by her side. Hacking, spying, coding, all of the above, it proved a worthy source to her family's mischievous ways. It kept them from being tracked. She had a happy talent for pulling tricks out of her sleeve to save others from problems that weren't that of her own. She also possessed a raw talent with devices that old-school witches and wizards knew nothing of. Alexx may have been pure-blooded, but she was not conservative with the wizard ways.

As a matter of fact, that was quite possibly why she enjoyed history revolving around the rest of the world, rather than that of what was now her own. To see how far everyone else had come compared to the technology of wizards- it was hardly even comparable at all! She felt so out of place here with the children who did not know about phones, computers, television, the movie theatre. Sending letters by owl couriers? Having to actually go to Quidditch events rather than being able to stream it on a T.V. channel? She would have just preferred to be living in the 18th century at this point, where the two worlds were on the same page.

This brought her back to her book, where she could relate to Abraham Woodhull the most at this point. Ahead of his time, agreeing with views that the people who he surrounded himself thought were tyrannous. To be one of six who was brave enough to stand against all odds and risk their honour, name, and lives to merely be different; that, in Alexx's mind, was the greatest achievement of all. These five men and one woman changed the course of history. Others may have found it boring, but Alexx was intrigued. What if, in a revolutionary yet theoretical sense, of course, she were to start something as powerful as this? Naturally, Alexx had nothing to rebel against. To start a revolution, you have to offend somebody, and Alexx had no one to offend at the moment. Unless, of course, her book blew up into a million pieces, then someone would be reading her declaration.

27 Jun 2018, 23:13
Lucien had been reading a book on his family history when he noticed something bursting into flames in the corner of his eye. He turned his head slightly to see what the commotion was. Apparently a girl had made the mistake of using muggle technology at the school. Last time someone did that there was an attack on the camp out, or that was what he had heard. He was unsure of what exactly had taken place. Lucien decided instead of sitting alone under a tree that he would actually go talk to her. A little bit of socializing wouldn't hurt, right? He picked up the two books he had with him and made his way over towards her. The one he had been reading, and one he had been planning to read about Camelot. So far what he had read the previous day was inaccurate. As the Raven haired boy got closer he noticed she was a Slytherin. "Would it be alright if I sat with you? The tree I was under had to many bugs, according to my knowledge most bugs don't like fire." He said with a slight smile. He noticed the book she was reading and smiled a bit more. History, so he wasn't the only 'History nerd' apparently.

My eyes aren't both blue. One is green. One is blue.
~
My theory. Music can fix anything. Anything.
28 Jun 2018, 19:05
Alexx looked up, jumping out of her state of frustration and into a state of soft happiness. Someone wanted to sit with her. She didn't mind if the only reason may be her unintentional fire, to not be alone was a gift at this moment. "Go for it, my dude." She responded, nodding down to the space across from her. She noticed the boy's two books, and she hummed.

"What's that you're reading there?" She asked out of curiosity. She wasn't exactly able to read the titles too well. She enjoyed the company of other book-lovers pretty well. As much as she loved reading on a device, she had a deep love for print and paper. There was something authentic and beautiful about the spine of a book cracking open, and the smell of the old parchment.

She took notice of the familiar green and silver of his robes. She had seen this boy around, she was sure of it. His raven hair seemed familiar. Though she had never spoken to him, she at least knew of his existence. Alexx hadn't spoken to many people, to be fair. But she observed everyone as best she could. It was the only thing tethering her to reality, not consuming her to loneliness.

3 Jul 2018, 02:00
Kevin walks over noticing the fire and out of his caring nature points at Alexx's hand.
"Are you okay? I do apologize for intruding I just would rather not see any living being injured and I seen a fire..uh my name is Kevin" He said kind of shakily. He then holds out his hand to Alexx and Lucien in hopes for a taker on his introduction for he does not have any friends yet at Hogwarts.
"If you would have me, I happen to enjoy History and Magical creatures and would love to sit by the fire to talk a bit and maybe acquaint myself with students of another house, especially Slytherin as you are known for being cunning and determined similar to Ravenclaw. "
Kevin pulls out a flute and looks at the two Slytherin, waving it slightly. "If you enjoy music, I would be willing to play some instead. My father had taught me some soothing tunes that he used to play to soothe some of the creatures that he tamed. Them wonderful beasts could never get enough of his music. He smiles at the fond memory of his father and feels a bit homesick because his mother used to share stories of his father from before he was born.

yours truly, kevin
7 Jul 2018, 02:14
Lucien raised an eyebrow at being called dude. He had never heard the term before. He shrugged it off assuming it was common among other people. "Oh, these are about my family history. Or well, one is." He said holding up the black and silver book with a smile. "This one is about Camelot. So far most of it is highly inaccurate." He said smiling. It wasn't long after he spoke of his books that another boy came forward. He held his hand out like most people who introduced themselves. Lucien didn't shake it though. He simply bowed as he had been taught to do since he never shook anyone's hands. "Pleasure to meet you. Sorry for not accepting the hand shake, I'm a very big germaphobe. My name is Lucien Avery Escanora. Feel free to call me whatever you may like." He said as he stood in an upright position once again. After that he finally sat down with his books on his lap. "I wouldn't mind hearing music." He said moving a strand of his hair out of his face. However, it only fell right back in front of his face. He gave a rather annoyed huff and tried to move it again not making eye contact with anyone.

My eyes aren't both blue. One is green. One is blue.
~
My theory. Music can fix anything. Anything.
23 Jul 2018, 02:59
Lucien Escanora wrote: 7 Jul 2018, 02:14 Lucien raised an eyebrow at being called dude. He had never heard the term before. He shrugged it off assuming it was common among other people....
Kevin smiles at Lucien and sits as well. "Haha it is perfectly fine I understand but am kind of the opposite. Growing up on a farm I am clean but I am also used to all the germs that animals and crops entail. Have you been to Camelot? Also are you writing your own story about your family history or is that a book about the history of your family that someone else has written about it?
The book that I have is actually just a history of Hogwarts because I always like to completely understand what I am going into when it comes to new places that I am going to. " He then pulls out a thick book at least 500 page long that is a bit dusty due to nobody actually checking it out and taking the time to read it. " I am interested in history when it actually involves me or something that I like. How about you?"
Kevin begins playing the flute and kind of looks around to see if there are any requests or if anyone is actually enjoying the music for the moment.
Then notices Alexx spacing out a bit.
"Alexx?"
Reducio
Alexx Helm wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 19:05 Alexx

yours truly, kevin