Register
Sign in
6 Oct 2020, 22:01
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
The Desk is Currently Unavailable.
The library is a wondrous place for those seeking knowledge and answers. Whether for studying for a class or doing their own personal research into whatever their heart desires. The library was quite a busy place most of them time, especially with the amount of homework that the Professors gave, something Robyn did not envy in her time post-graduation of the school. A librarian's work was never done.

The Head Librarian, Robyn Finley, could often be found flitting between the stacks and checking in on students occasionally if they seemed particularly stumped by what they were working on. Shushing overly loud students, and careful glances towards those whose volume was getting to be a bit much. Some disliked the librarian for that reason, but she was an order keeper and that would not stand in her library. Often she would have her hair down and tucked behind her ears. Patterned pants and cardigans were her signature outfit on any given day. Unless scolding someone, a soft smile would be placed on her face to welcome students into the library and help them find the knowledge they sought out. Her voice seeming to never go above the appropriate level for the library, she was soft-spoken. Unless provoked by a particularly unruly student.

When not wandering around the aisles of the library she could be found working behind the desk on returns, check-outs, and requests. A seemingly endless stack of books always present behind the desk. When there she would be checking for damages upon return, categorizing them to be put out, or setting them aside for the next student who requested to borrow them. There she would be available for questions about research, books, and just general curiosities. In a library, no question was too bizarre. Knowledge seeking was something to be admired, even if the question might provoke concerns. When a student were to approach the desk she would look up with a smile and a slight tilt of the head. "What can I help you with today?"
This is an IC thread for questions, curiosities, and book requests from the librarian. There will be one student allowed at a time, so if another student is actively interacting with the librarian please wait until the interaction has been completed. The standard site rules apply to this and the 200 word count still applies. Please do not godmod her speaking further or doing anything than what is stated above in her typical activities at the desk. If you do, you will be owled and asked to change it within 48 hours of receiving the owl before the post is deleted.

Stand in your own power.
Stamina 12 ◈ Evasion 7 ◈ Strength 10 ◈ Wisdom 15 ◈ ArcPower 11 ◈ Accuracy 10
Hex Code | #433280
6 Oct 2020, 22:34
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Henry made his way to the one place, well second place that his friends or anyone that knew him slightly could find him; the library. Henry loved the place, not only did it hold more books and knowledge then the small one back at his home or city, it also was the key to his research on his family or at least his mum's family. While it been the place he also isolated himself in since the start of term to try and escape his problems and worries about his hidden life and family.

Henry heard that they hired a new librarian after replacing another new one but still they could be rather helpful to the know it all second year. Sadly Henry read almost everything or enough to know that anything about his mum's family wasn't there and if it was then he wasn't looking in the right spots so it was time that this geek finally asked for some help.

Which explained why the twelve year old was in the library on a Saturday with his messager type bag and dressed in his usual worn out jeans, worn out long grey shirt, and faded greenish jacket. He walked through the entrance of the large room and immediately felt at home as the smell of leather bound books and old parchment filled his nose.

Henry didn't take his usual long minutes taking it all in like usual, this time he walked down the library until Henry saw the library desk or rather the new librarian in which he approached as he ran a hand through his hair real fast Henry spoke rather calmly " uh excuse me."

Henry waited a few minutes before then saying " I don't know if you recognized me but I'm one of the ones that are always here," Henry gave a small smile as he thought maybe after saying that then she might be more inclined to help him before he continued " I had a few questions about a couple of books, I was wondering if you had the answer to?"

@Robyn Finley

Don't judge another before you read their story
7 Oct 2020, 01:37
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Interacting with @Henry Knight
Weekends seemed to somehow be some of the busiest days in the library. People finally coming at the end of their week to start studying and doing homework for the week ahead. Or, trying and goofing off. Weekends also seemed to be the times that she had to shush the most. She couldn't exactly blame them, most of them would rather be outdoors or hanging out with their friends rather than writing this weeks Transfiguration essay, even though she found the subject quite exciting.

Robyn was currently working on stacking the books that people had requested and labeling them with a piece of parchment hastily shoved inside the front cover for the assistants to deliver on their rounds. It wasn't exciting work, but work to be done nonetheless. She almost didn't notice someone had walked up to greet her, one of the regulars that frequented the library. Her head perked up when he first spoke, nodding a hello as she finished up the book stack she was working on. "How can I help you today?" Her eyes were glancing down just to make sure she was matching the names up correctly but was leaning slightly forward to indicate that she was listening. She finished up as he spoke again.

"Mr. Knight, correct? I'm still learning people's names but the assistants are doing good on teaching me, especially the regulars like you." Her hands idly smoothed out her clothes that had gotten a tad mussed from bending over the book stacks. "I think if I couldn't provide the answers on books I would be a shoddy librarian. What are your questions exactly?" A smile and a perked eyebrow. Hopefully the answers lied already within the volumes of her mind, but if not, the books at the library would have to do in searching for the answers.

Stand in your own power.
Hex Code | #433280
7 Oct 2020, 15:00
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
The librarian used his surname which made Henry flinched a bit, it's not like he hated it just didn't prefer it at the moment as he spoke " uh yes, Henry. Uh Henry Knight," saying it himself sounded worse but he was there on a mind well more like he was there seeking answers to two questions. Henry heard the librarian speak again, this time however Henry felt his neck get hot and anxiety loom over his head as he cleared his throat unsure how to say what he needed to say for a moment.

After a while Henry shook or at least try to shake away those feelings before speaking " I only have two questions for you miss," Henry tried a half smile before running a hand through his hair and continuing " my first is; I look through almost every book here and yet to find any information so I was wondering if you may have a answer or book to help me. Uh is there any books or daily prophets that talks about the Knight family or someone with the surname Knight?" Henry figured he should have told the librarian why he needed that but decided to not say more, mainly because he was never big on family but after finding someone with his surname last year, he is now.

@Robyn Finley

8 Oct 2020, 05:07
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
The flinching wasn't lost on the carefully observing adult, though she couldn't place why. "Would you prefer... Mr. Henry then?" Formalities weren't something that every one favored, but it was something that she felt comfortable in. Especially interacting with those that weren't at all her age or peers. Maybe some would earn first name basis, but no one was anywhere near close at this school. This was a very obvious anxious boy. Sometimes our own curiosities would get the better of us, wondering what kinds of answers were lurking around the corners of discoveries that we may not want to encounter. But rounding that corner was oh so tempting, and obviously Henry had found himself captivated.

"Unless they're of the founders I'm not sure we keep many of those around, as for the Daily Prophets I'll have to do some digging as those aren't... catalogued as well as I would enjoy them to be. I can surely put it on my list to look out for whilst working on them of course. Though it might be some time before I find anything." She paused, wondering if she was about to be dancing around a particularly unfavorable topic for Henry. "Does your family not have much on their history?" She pulled a piece of parchment that already had some writing on it, not visible to Henry. She wrote down a quick note of the Knight surname and replaced it in the stack. "Perhaps I'm getting ahead of myself. What's your second question?" She couldn't help but get lost with the other students on their own adventures, having halted most of her own.

Stand in your own power.
Hex Code | #433280
8 Oct 2020, 15:28
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Taking note of the librarian question about his name, it's not that Henry didn't like to be addressed that way. In fact he quite enjoyed it probably because he was mature for his age and enjoyed reading, so some would say a pet peeves of his was being treated like a child even through he technically was one. However Henry would shake his head a bit with a small smile, " oh uh Mr. Knight is fine, uh sorry it was something else that made be flinch," Henry realized that she pick up on him flinching and it was really something else since the problems with his family, he preferred not to be either which is why he didn't like the sound of his surname anymore.

Henry shook a way from his thoughts as he listened to the librarian and was a bit happy that she would keep a eye out for him but also felt like he was getting no where in his search as Henry then replied " thank you miss and I could wait as long as you'll need," which was true since he already waited this long what's a bit longer but her next question was what made Henry even more worried not to mention worsen his already looming anxiety.

Henry ran a quick hand through his hair as he decided and thought about how to answer that, it seemed so simple but also complicated as he stared at the librarian. Even after her second and obviously attempt to move away from that question, Henry still stuck on it as his breathing felt shallow and rather tight and his mind filled with every possible answer. The boy hadn't felt this anxious since their first year but her here they are, feeling panicked and sick as he figured out what to say.

After some time however, Henry finally knew what to say as he spoke " no it's fine, uh Knight was my mum's surname. There's information on my father's family just not my mum's. I never knew her family only a few fragments like they did terrible things or were known as bad Knights but nothing more, I always guessed that there was a reason for her never telling us anything but never got to ask her myself since she died when I was young," there the truth but not the whole truth now Henry was a bit more relaxed he focus on his next question as he then spoke " my second question is I was wondering if you grant grant a student permission to the restricted section or if its only strictly professors?" Henry technically already knew the answer but being a second year geek, he had to try it and who knows maybe she would say that she can

@Robyn Finley

9 Oct 2020, 03:01
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Like most of her regulars at the library the boy in front of her was incredibly polite and kind, but also forthcoming with honesty. He caught on to her catching onto him with his flinching and fully called her out on it in a way. Something to respect. "Ah, very well then Mr. Knight." She wasn't one to pry further once someone has given the answer that seems to be to their own satisfaction. Especially since she wasn't trying to open a can of worms around very fragile books. That could be saved for a professor or Head of House. Not that she would turn them away... she would just rather not.

There was almost a sadness that she couldn't help him more, he had obviously done his waiting and had exhausted all of his options at this point to come and seek additional help with scouring the archives of the library, but truly her hands were tied by time and her own resources. "That is to say, you couldn't look through the Daily Prophets during the time period you were looking for. Older newspapers seem to be few and far between however. Especially.. you know the wizarding wars and all that good stuff." She sighed, good things tended to get destroyed in the destruction that came with war.

As he started to talk about his family, any idle activity she was doing came to an obvious stop. There was a time to be occupied and when someone was telling what they knew of their story was not one of those times. She listened carefully, taking mental notes. "Mm, always admirable looking into a history that has remained under an apparent lock and key. I hope I can be of some assistance in your quest. As for the restricted section it is... well, restricted. Even if you were permitted to get books from there you would still not be able to enter it. You would request books from me and either myself or one of the assistants would get it. The restricted section is not to be played in." While she was kind and understanding, she drew a line in when to be gentle and when to set a boundary with a firm hand. The restricted section was tempting, it always had been. Why the school kept it in the library and not somewhere else was beyond her. But, it was her duty to protect what lie within it, and protect it she would.

Stand in your own power.
Hex Code | #433280
9 Oct 2020, 18:19
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Henry nodded a bit at the librarian's reply, he was actually really respectful and polite given what has happened to him in the coming weeks. While he missed a few classes or came late which was already odd for the twelve year old to do, he still handed in all his homework and made sure to keep his grades at O's not counting that even with everything going on in his mind he still tried to be respectful and polite to everyone especially teachers and staff. Yes there were a few times he wasn't at the moment but after be would always beat himself up over it in his mind of course.

Henry nodded to the librarian when she spoke again and when she finished, he then spoke " thank you miss and yes I will more then certainly read through a few myself," Henry maintained eye contacted with her as he stood straight up and hands by his side even through one was resting on his bag like his father taught him even through he hated the man, he couldn't shake this. Henry listen to her speak again and took her words to heart so when she finished, he then spoke " thank you for your help miss and I understand about the restricted section," Henry then made to leave as he spoke again " thank you for all your help miss and I would like to welcome you to Hogwarts. I'm sure you'll be seeing me again from all the times I come here."

Henry gave her a small smile before turning on his heel and starting on his walk through the library, he was there yesterday and still had a pile of books waiting for him so he wouldn't need anymore as he continued his walk out of the library. His mind was buzzing with everything he learned and now with a new a goal; to some how get inside the restricted section and he knew the ravenclaw that would help with that.

Henry has left the thread
@Robyn Finley it was great threading with you and thanks for the new thread ideas for Henry

10 Oct 2020, 02:47
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
As the conversation started winding down with thank yous and an acknowledgment of him recognizing what he could do on his own, she couldn't help put pull another stack of books in front of her and start to idly put names on parchment and into the front cover. It was easy for her to write and continue to converse, a skill she had developed over years of working at libraries. "Do let me know if you have any discoveries you'd like to share, I want to know how you get on with this adventure." The gentle smile had never left her face, but her eyes had a gloss of curiosity and intrigue of other's lives. She genuinely did want him to succeed, and wanted to be updated for this adventure.

However, rarely did people actually understand about the restricted section. She was once a student at Hogwarts too and knew how often students would attempt to sneak in there and get a glimpse at the ominous knowledge it held. She felt privileged to now be privy to that information and be the keeper of it as well. "Thank you Mr. Knight, I'll see you around the library." There was a good chance she'd see him elsewhere, but better not to set expectations she couldn't meet. She eyed him as he walked away, once he was out of earshot looking down and getting back to work with the books she was setting up to be sent out. One of the assistant house elves were standing nearby. "Keep an eye on that one if he seems to wander too far from where he should be." She was kind. But not a pushover.
Robyn Finley is available for interaction.

Stand in your own power.
Hex Code | #433280
13 Oct 2020, 09:38
The Librarian's Desk  IC 
Footsteps echoed through the library. The location itself quiet, filled only with similar footsteps and the soft murmurings of the students. Alexander, in his full school robe walked to the librarian's desk. A soft smile and a curious look on his face. As at his side he had his bag filled with notes, quills and jars to make homework with. As well as some of his own books.

He walked with a purposeful tread towards the Librarian's desk. Walked through the dusty corridors, with light shining through the windows and creating a panorama of falling dust. As he walked to the desk he felt his fingers twitch a little out of nervousness, thus he grasped it in his hand and took a few calming breaths. Making sure to remain calm, keep his goal and the technique in mind. He had to make sure to keep up the image of a curious and eager student. Not too hard as he was quite nervous and thus a little twitchy. Though of course for an entirely different reason than excitement and general reluctance to talk to the Librarian.

Eventually he arrived at the desk. He took in a final deep breath before beginning to speak. Making sure to permeate his voice with natural curiosity, which was admittedly also present. Though not the primary motivation behind his actions. "Uhm..... excuse me."

Alexander fumbled a little with his hands."[color=#00800]Miss I wondered if there was maybe some book about mental magic ? Yesterday I was going through my potions book and recalled the forgetfulness potion. And wondered if there are more thing like that or if there is an antidote to anything that might affect the mind. Since it was a little unnerving to realize that a potion can be used like that. [/color]"

He then coughed a little, partially due to dust but also nervousness.
"So what I am trying to say is. Do you have any book available about mental magic and how to prevent things like memory loss from forgetfulness potions ?"

Memory is all we are. Moments and feelings, captured in amber, strung on filaments of reason. Take a man’s memories and you take all of him. Chip away a memory at a time and you destroy him as surely as if you hammered nail after nail through his skull